A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 17 2013, 09:45 PM   #31
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

I liked the Stallone version better.

"I AM THE LAW!!!"
Old December 17 2013, 10:36 PM   #32
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

What I remember of the Stallone movie was that it was very.... Stallone-y. Sort of the concept the original Superman movie had where they wanted an unknown to play Superman rather than a star so that people would see Superman and not Actor-as-Superman.

Granted, Judge Dredd is nowhere near as iconic a character as Supes or as known but it can be hard to sell the idea of a character when people watching your movie are seeing an actor as himself. Stallone in Judge Dredd might as well have been playing his character from "Demolition Man" or "Cliffhanger" or "Over the Top" or something.

Carl Urban is pretty much an unknown so it was easy to "not see him" but an actor who's able to play a role other than "himself" would have been able to pull it off, mask or not.

The Stallone movie wasn't strictly "bad" from what little of it I remember it was just very... Stallone. And I suspect unsatisfying to fans of the character.
Old December 17 2013, 10:43 PM   #33
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

The Stallone Judge Dredd has its own charms, but I didn't take it at all seriously. Dredd, on the other hand, was a nail biter for me from start to finish. I loved the setting, loved Karl Urban's take on Dredd, Olivia Thirlby's Anderson was a fresh perspective on a normally very jaded and cynical sci-fi trope, and the villain felt like an actual person; someone who was just rotten to the core while still seeming believable. I still hold out hope for a sequel, but it is highly unlikely, so I just enjoy what I got, which was a great movie.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 11:34 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
What I remember of the Stallone movie was that it was very.... Stallone-y. ... Stallone in Judge Dredd might as well have been playing his character from "Demolition Man" or "Cliffhanger" or "Over the Top" or something.
The Stallone movie wasn't strictly "bad" from what little of it I remember it was just very... Stallone. And I suspect unsatisfying to fans of the character.
Well, that's just it. The makers of that movie weren't trying to adapt the comic faithfully so much as turn it into a vehicle for Stallone. Hence having Dredd's helmet removed for most of the movie, which is blasphemy to the comic's fans. (Actually I always thought that could've worked if he didn't have his helmet removed until he was tried and sentenced; then it would've been against his will and a sign of disgrace, so it would've been more in character. Although it would've conflicted with the comics' assertion that Dredd's face is unbearably horrible to look at. And no, I'm not going to take a cheap shot at Stallone at this point.)

I wouldn't call Karl Urban an unknown, not after his turns in Hercules, Xena, Lord of the Rings, and Star Trek. He's prominent enough to have gotten the lead role in the current Almost Human series. However, he's the kind of actor who can disappear into a role.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 11:46 PM   #35
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Well, I'd consider Urban an "unknown" or at least an actor who is not a box-office draw. Kind of going back to the Superman:The Movie example of purposefully not hiring a well-known actor in the role, instead putting more known actors in the other roles.
Old December 18 2013, 12:11 AM   #36
Christopher
Writer

I don't think the analogy to Superman really works, because Dredd isn't a big-budget star-studded movie in any case. It's a fairly small movie that doesn't have any massive star power. Lena Headey is fairly prominent, but she's certainly not in the league of Marlon Brando or Gene Hackman when it comes to celebrity standing. I'd say, in fact, that Urban was the second most prominent member of the film's cast. He and Headey were the only cast members I'd ever seen or heard of before, although I gather that Olivia Thirlby has some name recognition from Juno and one or two other things.

Old December 18 2013, 01:09 AM   #37
Ln X
Fleet Captain

A great movie Dredd is. I consider it one of the last great action films and right up there with the ranks of Terminator, Die Hard, Alien and all the oldie action movies which kicked ass and had real f*** yeah moments.

The best thing is the minimalist use of CGI, virtually everything you see (barring the 3D scenes) is either actual sets, actual props and actual effects. While the slow-mo scenes are really awesome, and Ma-Ma's death scene definitely belongs to some of the most iconic moments of the sci-fi film genre.

Also Dredd has very little BS in its presentation and its nice to see an actual practical outfit on a main female protagonist (instead of something sexy or a latex skin-tight suit). Finally Dredd has something which most films lack these days (even the new Trek movies I'm afraid to say suffer from this); atmosphere.

It's films like Dredd which keep up my hopes that there are some people out there who know what they're doing and know how to effectively use the plethora of tools, techniques and effects out there to make a movie.

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 01:12 AM   #38
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I liked the Stallone version better.

"I AM THE LAW!!!"
Me too.

Or rather, the Stallone one was less bad.
Old December 18 2013, 01:38 AM   #39
Davros
Fleet Admiral

The only thing the Stallone version did better was the uniform.
Old December 18 2013, 01:52 AM   #40
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I don't know, one of the things I loved about the 2012 film is the realistic depiction of the uniform, weapons, vehicles etc

Simple, practical, effective and helped the immersive "lived in" feel of the movie. The megablock was also very well done, the shut down mechanism was low key, yet still gave a good shut in feeling.

It was less about hyping up Dredd, and more about seeing things more from Andersons point of view. Stallones...well when you have one of the big overblown 80's action stars in a movie, it's all about them one way or another, the entire cast of the new movie were excellent really.
Old December 18 2013, 01:55 AM   #41
Christopher
Writer

^I think the point is that the Stallone movie recreated the comics' version of the uniform and equipment with great authenticity (even if little else was authentic). Whereas the Urban movie toned down the uniforms in favor of something more functional, less cartoony. Both have their merits, depending on what you're looking for.

Old December 18 2013, 01:57 AM   #42
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
I don't know, one of the things I loved about the 2012 film is the realistic depiction of the uniform, weapons, vehicles etc

Simple, practical, effective and helped the immersive "lived in" feel of the movie. The megablock was also very well done, the shut down mechanism was low key, yet still gave a good shut in feeling.

It was less about hyping up Dredd, and more about seeing things more from Andersons point of view. Stallones...well when you have one of the big overblown 80's action stars in a movie, it's all about them one way or another, the entire cast of the new movie were excellent really.
Yeah, the uniforms in the Stallone movie, like everything else in it, struck me as over the top.
Old December 18 2013, 02:06 AM   #43
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Christopher wrote: View Post
Both have their merits, depending on what you're looking for.
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

Yeah, the uniforms in the Stallone movie, like everything else in it, struck me as over the top.
Yeah, both are definitely fun movies in their own right. The Stallone larger-than-life comic book on screen or the realistic day to day carnage of the newer version.

I never read the comics and know little of the character, so I'm happy enough to accept both interpretations on their own merits.
Old December 18 2013, 02:29 AM   #44
Christopher
Writer

^Just so my quote isn't taken out of context, I want to make clear that I was speaking of the two approaches to the design of the uniforms, not of the merits of the movies as a whole. I haven't seen the Stallone movie in a very long time so I'm not in the best position to judge, but I remember finding it mildly entertaining but ridiculous. The Urban movie is altogether a superior piece of work, despite its flawed ending.

Old December 18 2013, 04:01 AM   #45
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I never really found Stallone's costume more faithful in any way beyond the gigantic shoulder wings. Nothing else is particularly faithful. The helmet*, lawgiver, and lawmaster of Stallone's Judge look very little like the comic.

*The helmet isn't too far off, but UrbanDredd's helmet is far closer, in my opinion.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote