RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 522
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 16 2013, 04:41 PM   #31
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: How powerful is a Galaxy class starship?

They were fighting for their lives. Long term stuff like that was not an issue. And besides, after the war, all they have to do is build a ton of saucers.
Old December 16 2013, 05:04 PM   #32
jmampilly
Lieutenant Commander

Another thing to point out is how the strength of a Galaxy's hull. I noticed in the alternate history shown in Yesterday's Enterprise that without shields, the Enterprise seemed to remain intact despite numerous disruptor shots. Although we saw this in an alternate universe, seeing as the Galaxy didn't seem extremely different, I would assume that the prime universe Galaxy could withstand disruptor shots with shields down.
jmampilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 10:37 PM   #33
Lance
Fleet Captain

It's an alternate universe, yes, but following the threads of the TNG technical manual, I do tend to think of the Galaxy Class as being a reconfigurable modular design where no two of them are outfitted exactly the same (unlike the Connies of TOS, which I've always assumed to be mostly identical vessels even though that was never exactly confirmed or denied). The alternate universe Enterprise is obviously outfitted as a hard-as-nails warship, but 'our' Enterprise isn't. The same Starship design, but different configurations for different mission statements. 'Our' Enterprise is a weaker ship.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 01:53 PM   #34
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

jmampilly wrote: View Post
Another thing to point out is how the strength of a Galaxy's hull. I noticed in the alternate history shown in Yesterday's Enterprise that without shields, the Enterprise seemed to remain intact despite numerous disruptor shots. Although we saw this in an alternate universe, seeing as the Galaxy didn't seem extremely different, I would assume that the prime universe Galaxy could withstand disruptor shots with shields down.
I agree. It seemed the primary difference with the Galaxy-class in "Yesterday's Enterprise" was its mission profile, with a higher priority towards tactical operations, and less civilians around. I suspect that the Galaxy-class ships that participated in the Dominion War were probably the same.
Old December 17 2013, 02:31 PM   #35
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I put that entirely down to the effects budget rather than anything intended in-universe - if they could afford to have have shown the hull being shredded like in Generations they would have. Certainly the explosions and fires on the bridge indicate extreme damage being inflicted in both YE and GENS.
Old December 17 2013, 04:46 PM   #36
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I put that entirely down to the effects budget rather than anything intended in-universe - if they could afford to have have shown the hull being shredded like in Generations they would have. Certainly the explosions and fires on the bridge indicate extreme damage being inflicted in both YE and GENS.
That reminds me of Best of Both Worlds, when the cube uses its drilling beam (twice!) on the Enterprise. The dialogue notes severe damage, large hull breaches, and significant loss of life, but external shots show the ship operating as normal.
Old December 17 2013, 05:17 PM   #37
anh165
Commander

That's why I thought the way how damage was portrayed in the opening of ST2009 with the Kelvin or when the Enterprise was attacked in STID, and even in TWOK is how it really should be done.

None of this "starboard power coupling down captain" *shake camera* "shields critical at 92.5%" etc etc
Old December 17 2013, 06:57 PM   #38
jmampilly
Lieutenant Commander

So I was wrong then... the Galaxy's armor couldn't withstand disruptor shots, but rather budgetary problems prevented cool explosions from happening...?
Old December 17 2013, 07:55 PM   #39
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

That never made any sense to me. If it's empty, why make a saucer at all (and why are all the windows lit?)? Starfleet would just make loads of Galaxy-class stardrive sections, which are built for battle.
The lit windows make little sense anyway. Would the crew really have downtime to relax in their quarters during the biggest battles of their careers?
Old December 17 2013, 08:36 PM   #40
Richard Baker
Commander

Maybe they left for the battle stations in such a hurry they did not turn out the lights...

Several times in TNG it was mentioned against a saucer separation before battle since the ship could use the extra power in the fusion generators in the primary hull's propulsion. Most likely just an excuse not to spand time/money on a Sep sequence.

From a psychological point of view a massive galaxy class intact with lit windows is more impressive that the weird duck looking stardrive alone.
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 08:53 PM   #41
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

So I was wrong then... the Galaxy's armor couldn't withstand disruptor shots, but rather budgetary problems prevented cool explosions from happening...?
I think it could go either way. Some damage may be external or too small to see (hairline breaches).
Old December 18 2013, 03:22 AM   #42
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

To be fair, things were different in TOS narratively: if a shot, attack, or natural disaster could breach the shields, then the ship would be doomed. This is why Kirk would sweat whenever the shields were knocked down.

So the other way to bypass budgetary problems was to threaten to blow up the whole ship entirely
Old December 18 2013, 04:14 AM   #43
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

That never made any sense to me. If it's empty, why make a saucer at all (and why are all the windows lit?)? Starfleet would just make loads of Galaxy-class stardrive sections, which are built for battle.
The saucer has some nice phasers....
Old December 18 2013, 04:55 PM   #44
USS Firefly
Commander

And she looks prettier with a saucer
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 09:23 PM   #45
jmampilly
Lieutenant Commander

What is interesting is that the Galaxy could go toe to toe with a D'Deridex warbird. Galaxies weren't full fledged warships, but the D'Deridex ships were built from the ground up for battle.