RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 404
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 16 2013, 01:08 PM   #916
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: What are you reading?

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Pygmalion by Shaw. It's quite different from the movie. I love Shaw's sarcastic comments. We have quite the same sense of humour
Which movie did you see? The 1938 production with Wendy Hiller and Leslie Howard is brilliant.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 06:29 PM   #917
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Currently working my way through A Game of Thrones.
Old December 17 2013, 01:27 AM   #918
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

While working, and relaxing, in my garden I have been listening to the audiobook recording of the classic sci-fi novel When Worlds Collide which I finished yesterday. Now I am downloading the 1951 movie based on the book, I haven't seen that movie for many years. I have also started listening to the book sequel After Worlds Collide.
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 02:29 AM   #919
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Currently reading Raymond Chandler's Farewell, My Lovely, which I'll be interrupting for my annual reading of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 02:59 AM   #920
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

American Gothic by Robert Bloch
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 03:08 AM   #921
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I'm finishing up the third book in Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. The Assassin's Quest.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 01:46 PM   #922
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
While working, and relaxing, in my garden I have been listening to the audiobook recording of the classic sci-fi novel When Worlds Collide which I finished yesterday. Now I am downloading the 1951 movie based on the book, I haven't seen that movie for many years. I have also started listening to the book sequel After Worlds Collide.
oooh, that sounds interesting! I love old SciFI! Must try if I can get that one as ebook (I keep forgetting my reading glasses at my office when I need them at home and at home when I need them at my office *sigh* - ebooks are so useful: you can adjust the font size till you can read it without glasses)
Old December 18 2013, 10:33 AM   #923
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Speaking of classic SF, I am now reading an old E.C. Tubb anthology.
Old December 18 2013, 12:24 PM   #924
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Gov Radner wrote: View Post
Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Pygmalion by Shaw. It's quite different from the movie. I love Shaw's sarcastic comments. We have quite the same sense of humour
Which movie did you see? The 1938 production with Wendy Hiller and Leslie Howard is brilliant.
My appologies for answering so late. I completely overlooked your question.
No, I saw the 1964 one with Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn.
Thanks for the tip! I'll try to get the 1938 one as well =)

Current read: das Christkind kommt (the christ child comes) by Marga Müller. She was a popular writer in the 30s but is almost forgotten nowadays. In my opinion she's a bit too religious but that one is pretty good (and quite funny). I read it every Christmas
Over here, we get our presents by the Christchild. It's usually depicted as a curly haired somewhat androgynous child of about 6 -8 years. On the pic you can only see it from behind but you might still get an impression of what children in Germany expect to get a glimpse of on the evening of the 24th
Old December 24 2013, 07:08 AM   #925
Miss Chicken

Spirit of Christmas Present wrote: View Post
Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
oooh, that sounds interesting! I love old SciFI! Must try if I can get that one as ebook (I keep forgetting my reading glasses at my office when I need them at home and at home when I need them at my office *sigh* - ebooks are so useful: you can adjust the font size till you can read it without glasses)
I have only started reading audio books this year. I have avoided them in the past because I have, in the past few years needed subtitles on movies. However I now realised that if the reader has a clear enough voice and have no trouble following the book. I do try and select a book read by a man because I have less trouble with male voices than female voices.

I like e-books because I can change the font size, I like audio books because I can 'read' while I am gardening, waiting for the bus, doing housework etc.

I was disappointed in the movie When Worlds Collide, too much was changed for no good reason.

I have finished listened to After Worlds Collide. Not quite as good as the first book.

This month I have also listened to Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. It is a techno-thriller set in the New York's Museum of Natural History. I loved the novel and have started on the second in the series , Reliquary.

I am still reading Un Lun Dun by China Mieville on my iPad.
Old December 24 2013, 07:48 AM   #926
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

I finished Consider Phlebas on the weekend; once I got used to who all the characters were, the story started to flow better and became quite gripping.

Sunday, I started Life On the Preservation by Jack Skillingstead. From the summary posted on amazon.ca:

Inside the Seattle Preservation Dome it's always the Fifth of October, the city caught in an endless time loop. "Reformed" graffiti artist Ian Palmer is the only one who knows the truth, and he is desperate to wake up the rest of the city before the alien Curator of this human museum erases Ian's identity forever.
It has some creepy elements - there's some post-apocalyptic stuff and some possible-zombies (I'm not sure yet what they are). It moves quite quickly - as I said, I started it on Sunday and am on page 60 or thereabouts already.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 10:15 AM   #927
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Joyland by Stephen King
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2013, 09:02 AM   #928
Miss Chicken

I am now listening to The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, the third book in the Pendergast series. I am getting really hooked on this series.
Old December 29 2013, 05:54 PM   #929
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Started Dan Simmons' Hyperion the other day... almost gave up when I found out it was a collection of short-stories tied loosely together, but read the first one as I found it rather entertaining in an old-school-SciFi manner. The second story was less so, but I found that I could skip most of it -so I continued reading... But after having read the first page of the third story I gave up.

Now 13% into Frederik Pohls Eschaton - I think I might be finishing this one
Old December 29 2013, 06:59 PM   #930
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Julemand wrote: View Post
Started Dan Simmons' Hyperion the other day... almost gave up when I found out it was a collection of short-stories tied loosely together, but read the first one as I found it rather entertaining in an old-school-SciFi manner. The second story was less so, but I found that I could skip most of it -so I continued reading... But after having read the first page of the third story I gave up.
I actually pity you. You're missing out on one of the greatest science fiction book series' ever.
Just to give you an idea, the first novel, being a great collection of short stories, is basically the set up for The Fall of Hyperion, and the sequel Endymion two-parter.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote