RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,371
Posts: 5,503,958
Members: 25,124
Currently online: 520
Newest member: traedoril

TrekToday headlines

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 17 2013, 12:30 AM   #1
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

Friend of mine bought this for a few bucks at a second-hand hand store the other night so we sat down and watched it together last night. Now, I'm not too much a fan of the character (this particular genre/type of hero/anti-hero/comic character doesn't much appeal to me) and I've seen the 1990s Stallone movie which.... Well the less said the better. (Though I'm curious now to give it another look.)

Anyway, I really enjoyed this new Carl Urban movie and take on the character/world. Interesting premise and story and good use of a female character/hero without exactly making her pure eye candy. Overall I liked the movie and thought it was good fun, shame the movie apparently wasn't too much of a financial success making a sequel unlikely.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 12:39 AM   #2
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral
 
Ru ru, chu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I've seen the 1990s Stallone movie which.... Well the less said the better. (Though I'm curious now to give it another look.)
I thought the Stallone version was pretty cool, actually. Then again, I've never read the comics.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Ru ru, chu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Friend of mine bought this for a few bucks at a second-hand hand store the other night so we sat down and watched it together last night. Now, I'm not too much a fan of the character (this particular genre/type of hero/anti-hero
I could go on for pages about the brilliance of Dredd, but the most important thing to remember when reading it is that Judge Dredd isn't the film's protagonist (he's just as much of the setting as Mega-City One itself): Anderson is.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 12:50 AM   #4
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

Timby wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Friend of mine bought this for a few bucks at a second-hand hand store the other night so we sat down and watched it together last night. Now, I'm not too much a fan of the character (this particular genre/type of hero/anti-hero
I could go on for pages about the brilliance of Dredd, but the most important thing to remember when reading it is that Judge Dredd isn't the film's protagonist (he's just as much of the setting as Mega-City One itself): Anderson is.
Hmmm. Never thought of it that way. Makes sense.

Anyway, on the one hand I'm glad the movie was Rated-R as it allowed it to go all-out on the blood and violence. On the other hand, had it been Rated-PG13 it may have had a bit better BO take.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 01:04 AM   #5
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Anyway, on the one hand I'm glad the movie was Rated-R as it allowed it to go all-out on the blood and violence. On the other hand, had it been Rated-PG13 it may have had a bit better BO take.
Dredd was never going to have a large box office. It was a small-budget adaptation of a niche comic strip with very little U.S. exposure that was released with zero advertising.

In any event, the over-the-top violence is what allowed for the best touches of the film, like the calm PA voice announcing that the food court is closed and refreshments are available elsewhere because a violent criminal started murdering up the food court.

The great aspect of the film is that it's just a day in the life. The one thing Anderson should have failed for was losing her primary weapon, but Dredd passes her because the gun isn't her primary weapon. Learning this is the closest Dredd will likely ever really come to growth (and it should be troubling, because the police state has just realized it now has an even more powerful tool than a gun -- if anything, Dredd gets worse, as his old-school Dirty Harry tactics are "modernized" with Anderson's techniques, and there's something sinister about the rule of the gun being supplanted by this sinister new "soft" oppression).

Meanwhile, everything else goes on. Nothing really changes. (Even Dredd's monologue at the end is the same as the one at the beginning.)
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 02:30 AM   #6
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

I liked Dredd, though I have to admit that I liked it even more the first time around when it was called The Raid.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 02:50 AM   #7
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I liked Dredd, though I have to admit that I liked it even more the first time around when it was called The Raid.
What an entirely unique and astute observation! I'm sure nobody has ever thought of it before.

...Also it's an entirely bogus comparison since outside of the general premise, Dredd and Raid are nothing alike.





Besides, the first time I saw The Raid, it was called Die Hard.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 02:53 AM   #8
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

I thought it was a good film for what it was. This kind of violence isn't something I like, but the film was very creatively directed and executed and there were some very imaginative visuals. The director, I gather, was trying to make ultraviolence beautiful, and while I don't think that's entirely possible or desirable, I do respect the technical and artistic ingenuity that went into it.

I was surprised by how ethical Dredd was in his way. He killed without remorse when he believed it was necessary, but refused to kill a suspect unless he was 100 percent certain of guilt. True, the fundamental flaw in his reasoning is that you can never been 100 percent sure of guilt or innocence, and that being both arresting officer and judge and jury is a conflict of interest that makes an objective judgment impossible, so the whole system is fundamentally unjust. But while Dredd makes the mistake of trusting the system, he's nonetheless scrupulously ethical in his obedience to its rules, and even shows some moments of willingness to bend the rules ever so slightly for the greater good, like when he lets the kids go.

The ending didn't work for me at all, though.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 03:19 AM   #9
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

Reverend wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I liked Dredd, though I have to admit that I liked it even more the first time around when it was called The Raid.
What an entirely unique and astute observation! I'm sure nobody has ever thought of it before.

...Also it's an entirely bogus comparison since outside of the general premise, Dredd and Raid are nothing alike.
Right. Dredd was written and filmed about a year before The Raid entered production; when Gareth Evans, the director of The Raid, saw the first trailer for Dredd, his reaction was essentially, "Oh, shit, we need to get this movie out."
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 03:53 AM   #10
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

Christopher wrote: View Post
The ending didn't work for me at all, though.
I guess it's lucky for Dredd then,
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 03:55 AM   #11
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I thought it was a good film for what it was. This kind of violence isn't something I like, but the film was very creatively directed and executed and there were some very imaginative visuals. The director, I gather, was trying to make ultraviolence beautiful, and while I don't think that's entirely possible or desirable, I do respect the technical and artistic ingenuity that went into it.

I was surprised by how ethical Dredd was in his way. He killed without remorse when he believed it was necessary, but refused to kill a suspect unless he was 100 percent certain of guilt. True, the fundamental flaw in his reasoning is that you can never been 100 percent sure of guilt or innocence, and that being both arresting officer and judge and jury is a conflict of interest that makes an objective judgment impossible, so the whole system is fundamentally unjust. But while Dredd makes the mistake of trusting the system, he's nonetheless scrupulously ethical in his obedience to its rules, and even shows some moments of willingness to bend the rules ever so slightly for the greater good, like when he lets the kids go.
^This is one of the main things that showed that the filmmakers "got" who and what Dredd is about and exemplifies how faithful they were to the comics.

One of Dredd's defining characteristics is that he's a true believer in justice but at the same time, he's not blind to the weaknesses of the system. Quite the contrary, in the comics the only reason he's still a judge at all (having already taken the Long Walk) is because he doesn't trust the system not to deteriorate into a chaotic oblivion (which says something, giving the nominal status of Mega City One is about five and a half steps beyond pandemonium!)

IIRC he (privately) refers to the whole thing as the "big lie."

The ending didn't work for me at all, though.
I admit, it's a handwave but...
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 04:23 AM   #12
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

Reverend wrote: View Post
What an entirely unique and astute observation!
Thank you.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 04:55 AM   #13
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

Tosk wrote: View Post
I guess it's lucky for Dredd then,
But that's silly. It's missing the whole point of a deadman switch. I mean, think about it.


So either the filmmakers made a big mistake, or the character did. Either way, it's a stupid contrivance and a major conceptual flaw in the film's climax.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 05:13 AM   #14
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

Not sure why we're spoiler-coding a movie that's over a year old but, okay. Anyway, I agree with Christopher I was a bit confused by the ending too and unsure why the dead-man switch didn't work like it should have.

I just assumed it was a bluff or something on her part, there were no explosives in the building.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: Judge Dredd 2012 movie.

Reverend wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I liked Dredd, though I have to admit that I liked it even more the first time around when it was called The Raid.
What an entirely unique and astute observation! I'm sure nobody has ever thought of it before.

...Also it's an entirely bogus comparison since outside of the general premise, Dredd and Raid are nothing alike.





Besides, the first time I saw The Raid, it was called Die Hard.
Yes its an annoying fallacy that Dredd is a rip off of The Raid given it was in production way before the Raid, and even if it had been, no one knew The Raid was going to be anything other than a straight to DVD Kung-Fu flick until after production had wrapped on Dredd.

Like you say, effectively its Die Hard to a large extent, but even Die Hard isnt that original really, you could go back to Alistair MacLeans Golden Rendezvous for example. Yes its set on a boat not in a tower block but the premise is similar, and there are probably lots of other examples.

Dredd is a fantastic film. Admittedly I say that as a fan of the comics. It has a few issues, it never quite feels futuristic enough, and a big part of Dredds world is the comic and ludicrous, neither of which are much in evidence here, and Andersons pithy wits missing too, although Im being churlish because really its the best Dredd film well probably ever get (short of taking 80/85% of Dredd and 15/20% of the Stallone film and sticking them in a celluloid blender

Urban is fantastic as Dredd, and Thirlby makes a great Anderson, a fantastic female protagonist who doesnt really need Dredd to save her, and I love the interplay.

Dredd: Been wondering when you'd remember you left your helmet behind.
Anderson: Sir, a helmet can interfere with my psychic abilities.
Dredd: Think a bullet might interfere with them more.

Shame we wont get a sequelalthough there is campaign thats been running for a while with a petition, and they also organised a Day of Dredd where people were encouraged to buy the DVD/Blu-ray on a single day.

I havent given up hope, it is a film thats gaining an audience all the time. We had a thread many months back and a lot of people said theyd watched it not expecting very much, or not knowing what to expect, and had really enjoyed it. I dunno, if Riddick can get a third film maybe Dredd can get a second
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.