Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old December 4 2013, 06:27 PM   #16
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

Re: CBS Developing 2 New Treks?

That website is a farce. It's like the Onion.com
Old December 4 2013, 10:39 PM   #17
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I never stated that Abrams owned Star Trek. Your supposition aside, did you even read the articles I linked to?
Did you actually read the post I wrote? It didn't matter what Abrams wanted or what his feelings were. CBS is in the driver's seat when it comes to Trek on the TV front, not Abrams nor Paramount.
I never suggested he did. All I did was point out that Abrams was likely able to find a deal and setup more in line with what his ultimate goals were for the franchise at Disney with Star Wars than what Paramount coudl offer with Star Trek.

Not really seeing why this is so unclear.
Probably because it isn't what you originally said, but whatever, it's a moot point anyway since it's an issue of two different franchises with different owners and goals.
Old December 5 2013, 12:14 AM   #18
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

All I originally "said" was to link to some articles confirming the shows wouldn't happen and the behind the scenes reasons why CBS/Paramount didn't have the ability to make it happen the way JJ wanted to do it.

But you are right, this conflation of things is getting ridiculous.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 09:29 PM   #19
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Frontier wrote: View Post
CBS has no interest in returning Trek to the small screen, and honestly until either Les Moonves leaves or CBS takes NBC's 4th place crown away and becomes the low-man on the totem pole, I don't see such changing.

And as much as I love trek, I'm also terrified of what a new show might be, and so for the foreseeable future, I'm happy to be without it simply to prevent it from being further diminished.

And that's not a total swipe at the Abrams films -- they serve a valid purpose of bringing new fans in, I've seen it first hand. I just find them lacking in substance and quality and so I'm glad they're only a single film every few years rather than a series or some such. You know?
I'm tired of people blaming Moonves. Repeat after me, "Moonves does not hate science fiction, Moonves hates money losing genres." Show Moonves real evidence/market research that Star Trek will make more money for CBS than Big Bang/CSI and he will green light a series tomorrow. Until then he will do what every good CEO does, maximum shareholder value.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 11:20 AM   #20
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I have been very under the impression that CBS bought Paramount's television interests, which meant that they "inherited" STAR TREK. Perhaps ... not even really "wanting" it. And then, after having gotten "burned," basically, with the failure of ENTERPRISE, kind of lost any real interest in any future STAR TREK series, as long as Paramount still retains STAR TREK movie rights. If you look at the "official" STAR TREK site - startrek.com - it's very evident by its crappy state that "they" don't care, whilst other CBS properties have official sites that are of much higher quality. It would also explain how tolerant CBS is of STAR TREK novels and Fan Movies, where Bad Robot is much more protective of its interests, where STAR TREK is concerned.
Old December 15 2013, 05:36 PM   #21
E-DUB
Captain

I kind of find the very concept of "genre" useless at best and offensive at worst. Reminds me of CBS turning down the original Star Trek because "we've already got a science fiction show (Lost in Space) in development.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 06:01 PM   #22
Harvey
Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I have been very under the impression that CBS bought Paramount's television interests, which meant that they "inherited" STAR TREK.
CBS didn't buy anything. CBS Television Studios is the corporate entity that used to be called Paramount Television, which owns Star Trek. The name changed as the result of Viacom's corporate split.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 09:24 PM   #23
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Thanks for the clarification!
Old December 15 2013, 09:53 PM   #24
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

And CBS is making money from Trek bluray sales right now. Why fund a new series when you can repackage the old ones at a fraction of the cost?
Old December 16 2013, 05:35 PM   #25
iPadCary
Ensign

Why does Moonves think Star Trek has to make more money than
"The Big Bang Theory" & "CSI: [Insert Some City Here]" for him to consider it?
Isn't "as much money as ...." or "a lot of money" valid enough reasons?
iPadCary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 05:43 PM   #26
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

iPadCary wrote: View Post
It's called opportunity cost. There are a limited number of hours that CBS has to show new programming. To maximize revenue, Moonves wants to fill those hours with the shows that will make the most money. If giving Star Trek an hour a week means canceling CSI: XYZ, then scheduling Star Trek results in less profit for CBS unless Star Trek can make more money than CSI.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 10:23 PM   #27
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I think the odds of a new Star Trek series being scheduled on the CBS TV network itself are somewhere between slim and none, IMO. But I could see CBS taking a page from the defunct UPN and using a new Trek series to launch a new network or rebrand a currently existing one (ABC, NBC, and FOX all have multiple sister networks on basic cable, but CBS doesn't have a single one there).
Old December 16 2013, 11:56 PM   #28
Dukhat
Commodore

iPadCary wrote: View Post
Because a Star Trek series would cost a lot more money to produce than either of those two shows. Think about props, costumes, guest actors, makeup, prosthetics, CGI/model work, alien planets-of-the-week, etc., all that no other normal show would have. If they spend all that money every week for a show that gets ratings nowhere near a CSI, then it would be cost-prohibitive to produce.
Old December 17 2013, 01:29 AM   #29
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Because a Star Trek series would cost a lot more money to produce than either of those two shows.
You're right, but I wish we could get them to believe that there would still be a huge viewing audience for a Trek series if they used rubber masks and homemade props (or even props bought from the Star Trek section at Toys R Us) and the Star Trek Online engine for all of the external effects, provided they gave us compelling stories. Heck, with good stories, I'd watch a show made ENTIRELY using ST:O.
Old December 17 2013, 08:38 AM   #30
Dukhat
Commodore

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
You're right, but I wish we could get them to believe that there would still be a huge viewing audience for a Trek series if they used rubber masks and homemade props (or even props bought from the Star Trek section at Toys R Us) and the Star Trek Online engine for all of the external effects, provided they gave us compelling stories. Heck, with good stories, I'd watch a show made ENTIRELY using ST:O.
If CBS wants to save a ton of money on their Trek series budget, all they'd have to do is recreate TOS exactly, with another recast of the classic characters. I'd watch it.