CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate The Poisoned Chalice.
Outstanding 52 53.06%
Above Average 40 40.82%
Average 5 5.10%
Below Average 1 1.02%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 12 2013, 06:17 AM   #136
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain
Re: TF: The Poisoned Chalice by James Swallow Review Thread (Spoilers!

Finally got my copy. The last time I posted on here, went to B&N which they had Volume 6 After Darkness and I went to go check a few areas and they had one copy left. Went in today to pick my TNG/Doctor Who hardcover and they had more copies. Still didn't get what was up with the website though.
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 12:39 AM   #137
zarkon
Captain

Just finished reading it (popped through the mailbox this morning; I've never had so much trouble getting a trek book at release).

I liked the callback to the Zife regime, as I was thinking the same thing - a president relying on a smart deputy to manage events. Although given Velk is now off the chessboard, I hope Anjar ends up with more steel in him then Zife had(and after the scene with him and Riker I'm guessing that's the case).

Loved the Doctor's Orders referencing(not to mention the Doctor Who one), and surprised seeing the Magna Romans again. Lionheart crew was rather fun!

In all, t'was a great read. Built on previous books and told all its story threads equally well. If Peaceable Kingdoms is of the same calibre it'll have been a cracker of a mini-series.
Old December 16 2013, 08:40 AM   #138
Newspaper Taxi
Fleet Captain

Am I dreaming, or was there an allusion made to the dolphin-like character in "Dark Mirror"?
Old December 16 2013, 09:07 AM   #139
zarkon
Captain

Yeah, I assumed that was a reference to Hwii (don't remember him loving bad jokes, but it has been a while). Riker did make the distinction between dolphin and cetaceans (Hwii was a Delphine, and I think Duane wanted him to be a dolphin but wasn't allowed due to the limitations on trek writers back then).
Old December 16 2013, 11:01 AM   #140
ToddCam
Captain

Maybe this isn't the place to mention this, but I don't really care for the rating scale. What does average mean here? For all Star Trek books? For books by the author? For fiction in general? I enjoyed this book quite a bit, but as it wasn't outstanding or poor, I felt . I have found Swallow's books in general to be of high quality (making it average for him), but as I don't read all Trek books any more I don't know how it rates against all other Trek books, much less all fiction. I prefer a wider scale (1-10), and more along the lines of terrible/bad/mediocre/good/great than below average/average/above average.
ToddCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 04:00 PM   #141
trash80
Lieutenant Commander

I'd like for there to be at least one more position between Above Average and outstanding, say "very good". Most books I rate as AA but I like them more than that but I reserve outstanding for books I want to read and read again.
trash80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 05:51 PM   #142
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

ToddCam wrote: View Post
Maybe this isn't the place to mention this, but I don't really care for the rating scale. What does average mean here? For all Star Trek books? For books by the author? For fiction in general? I enjoyed this book quite a bit, but as it wasn't outstanding or poor, I felt . I have found Swallow's books in general to be of high quality (making it average for him), but as I don't read all Trek books any more I don't know how it rates against all other Trek books, much less all fiction. I prefer a wider scale (1-10), and more along the lines of terrible/bad/mediocre/good/great than below average/average/above average.
Ok, when you see "Poor", think "Terrible". When you see "Below Average", think "Bad". When you see "Average", think "Mediocre". When you see "Above Average" think "Good". When you see "Outstanding" think "Great". And click away.

It's a rating on a scale from 1 to 5. Make of it what you will.

And I think, given the ratings page that lists all the books and their polls so far, that changing the way we do polls at this point would be LESS clear (due to problems being commensurate).
Old December 16 2013, 05:59 PM   #143
ToddCam
Captain

Thrawn wrote: View Post

Ok, when you see "Poor", think "Terrible". When you see "Below Average", think "Bad". When you see "Average", think "Mediocre". When you see "Above Average" think "Good". When you see "Outstanding" think "Great". And click away.

It's a rating on a scale from 1 to 5. Make of it what you will.

And I think, given the ratings page that lists all the books and their polls so far, that changing the way we do polls at this point would be LESS clear (due to problems being commensurate).
Well, yes, that's what I did already. I understand about the ratings page, so it makes sense not to make waves.
ToddCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 07:57 PM   #144
James Swallow
Writer

View James Swallow's Twitter Profile

Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
Am I dreaming, or was there an allusion made to the dolphin-like character in "Dark Mirror"?
zarkon wrote: View Post
Yeah, I assumed that was a reference to Hwii (don't remember him loving bad jokes, but it has been a while). Riker did make the distinction between dolphin and cetaceans (Hwii was a Delphine, and I think Duane wanted him to be a dolphin but wasn't allowed due to the limitations on trek writers back then).
Actually, it's a reference to the "cetacean ops" that appear on the TNG Enterprise blueprints...
James Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 08:30 PM   #145
Jakks
Lieutenant Commander

Garrovick wrote: View Post
Finished this book a few days ago, loved it! I've really enjoyed all of The Fall so far, but this one is my favorite. I'm anxious to see how the events of this book play out in the future, especially in regards to Riker, Dax, Bashir, and Vale. It was good to see Tom Riker again, too.

Mr. Swallow, congrats on making the NYT best-seller list!

Pretty much my exact thoughts as well.
Old December 17 2013, 02:22 AM   #146
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

Where does Nydak II come from? I think it's the Spaceflight Chronology but I haven't found it there.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 04:54 AM   #147
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

One moment...

Not seeing it in that book. Will re-read it later in the week...

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2013, 11:43 AM   #148
James Swallow
Writer

View James Swallow's Twitter Profile

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
Where does Nydak II come from? I think it's the Spaceflight Chronology but I haven't found it there.
I'm pretty sure I made that one up.
James Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 04:10 AM   #149
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

James Swallow wrote: View Post
rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure I made that one up.
*blinks* Made.... up....?

Is that allowed? ;-)
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2013, 04:33 AM   #150
JWolf
Commodore

I have finished and I want to say The Poisoned Chalice is a very good read. I am expecting the last book in The Fall to also be very good.