Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 15 2013, 09:39 PM   #121
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Joe Cornish To Direct STAR TREK 3?

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Many haters begin their critique with some glib "it's all 'splosions" rhetoric. Honestly, when I see this now, the rest of their post just blurs into blah blah blah for me.
So anyone and everyone who criticizes the action of the last two films should be dismissed as a "hater?" This is the kind of ugly closed-mindedness that is endemic to both sides.
No, that's not what I said at all, and I'll thank you not make assumptions reference my "ugly close mindedness" - it's rude and plain uncalled for.

You're right though, there is a lot of close mindedness, and pithy "'splosions" commentary supported by little else is endemic of that - which was my actual point. Essentially, that's what I object to.
There are going to be haters who refuse to accept any reboot or who try to psychoanalyze JJ Abrams and attribute ulterior motives to his every decision or anything he says in an interview, and that annoys me as much as it does anyone else. But there are also people who aren't going to agree with you about the action and/or character development in the last two films, who have a different point of view which you've flat out said you're going to dismiss out of hand. How is that, or generalizing anyone who complains about too many explosions as a "hater," not closed minded?
Old December 15 2013, 10:09 PM   #122
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

So anyone and everyone who criticizes the action of the last two films should be dismissed as a "hater?" This is the kind of ugly closed-mindedness that is endemic to both sides.
No, that's not what I said at all, and I'll thank you not make assumptions reference my "ugly close mindedness" - it's rude and plain uncalled for.

You're right though, there is a lot of close mindedness, and pithy "'splosions" commentary supported by little else is endemic of that - which was my actual point. Essentially, that's what I object to.
There are going to be haters who refuse to accept any reboot or who try to psychoanalyze JJ Abrams and attribute ulterior motives to his every decision or anything he says in an interview, and that annoys me as much as it does anyone else. But there are also people who aren't going to agree with you about the action and/or character development in the last two films, who have a different point of view which you've flat out said you're going to dismiss out of hand. How is that, or generalizing anyone who complains about too many explosions as a "hater," not closed minded?
No, I didn't "flat out say" I was going to dismiss the opinions of those who hold a different view "out of hand" - something I would never do. If you're going to continue to misquote and misrepresent me, this is pointless.

Once again, I've seen variants on "too many 'splosions" over and over again - and for me, it is getting very tiresome. Also, I said "many" not "anyone".
Old December 15 2013, 10:40 PM   #123
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

No, I didn't "flat out say" I was going to dismiss the opinions of those who hold a different view "out of hand" - something I would never do.
How else to interpret the following quote other than you have summarily decided certain criticisms -- one you specifically indicate with an eyeroll for emphasis -- are to dismissed out of hand?
Many haters begin their critique with some glib "it's all 'splosions" rhetoric. Honestly, when I see this now, the rest of their post just blurs into blah blah blah for me.
Like I said, there are always going to be haters, but I'm not getting the connection between complaints about the indiscriminate use of explosions to "hating."
Old December 16 2013, 04:09 AM   #124
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

No, I didn't "flat out say" I was going to dismiss the opinions of those who hold a different view "out of hand" - something I would never do.
How else to interpret the following quote other than you have summarily decided certain criticisms -- one you specifically indicate with an eyeroll for emphasis -- are to dismissed out of hand?
Like I said, there are always going to be haters, but I'm not getting the connection between complaints about the indiscriminate use of explosions to "hating."
Come on, guys. I've tried for years now to discourage the use of the term "hater" for all kinds of reasons—tends to lead to people beating their heads together for no good reason, among other things—but "many haters begin their critique" does not equal an explicit "connection between complaints about the indiscriminate use of explosions" and "hating".

We're all fans here, and we can manage to disagree on this or that without bending over backwards to take or give offense, 'K?
Old December 16 2013, 05:22 PM   #125
Hober Mallow
Commodore

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Come on, guys. I've tried for years now to discourage the use of the term "hater" for all kinds of reasons—tends to lead to people beating their heads together for no good reason, among other things—but "many haters begin their critique" does not equal an explicit "connection between complaints about the indiscriminate use of explosions" and "hating".
"Many criminals smoke marijuana... but understand, I'm not making any connection between the two."
We're all fans here, and we can manage to disagree on this or that without bending over backwards to take or give offense, 'K?
Sorry, Lokai, I didn't mean to get pushy, or to derail the thread. I have a tendency to do both, but rarely at the same time. Can we still meet for drinks in the southernmost part of the galaxy?

Last edited by Hober Mallow; December 16 2013 at 05:48 PM.
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote