RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,664
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 453
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old December 12 2013, 01:25 AM   #16
Finn
Vice Admiral

Re: Picard made First Contact with 27 civilisations?

garak1 wrote: View Post
Hi,

I was curious about a line from 'Nemesis' where Picard states that he has made first contact with 27 civilisations.

Has anyone ever put together a list of these 27 civlisations known from the TV series and movies?

A few obvious ones to start with:
  • Borg
  • Ferengi
  • Q
  • Cytherians
  • Travellers
I would be interested to hear people's thoughts.
I wouldn't count Travellers, since he came aboard with a fellow starfleet officer.
Finn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 01:50 AM   #17
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Finngle Bells wrote: View Post

I wouldn't count Travellers, since he came aboard with a fellow starfleet officer.
Kozinski wasn't with Starfleet. Though I'd imagine that the Traveler likely did interact with Starfleet officers prior to coming aboard the Enterprise due to being Kozinski's assistant.
Old December 12 2013, 06:09 AM   #18
Warped9
Admiral

James Kirk: 36

“The Corbomite Maneuver” - The First Federation.
“Charlie X” - Thasians
“The Squire Of Gothos” - Trelane
“Miri” - humanoids, anway
“Shore Leave” - the Caretaker representing his humanoid race (if thats what he really looked like)
“Arena” - Gorn and Metrons
“The Alternative Factor” - whatever race the two Lazurus were
“The Devil In The Dark” - the Horta
“Errand Of Mercy” - the Oraganians in their true form
“Catspaw” - Korob and Sylvia
“The Gamesters Of Triskelion” - the Triskelion brains
“Who Mourns For Adonis?” - Apollo
“The Apple” - the Vaalians
“A Private Little War” - first contact 11 years earlier
“By Any Other Name” - the Kelvans
“Return To Tomorrow” - Sargon's race
“Spectre Of The Gun” - the Melkotians
“Spock’s Brain” - the inhabitants of Sigma Draconis 6
“For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky” - the Yonadans (technically Fabrini descendents)
“Wink Of An Eye” the Scalosians
“The Lights Of Zetar” - the Zetarians
“Let That Be Your Last Battlefield” - the Cheronians
“Plato’s Stepchildren” - the Platonians
“The Savage Curtain” - the Excalbians
“The Ambergris Element” - the Argoans
“Beyond The Farthest Star” - malevolent energy life form
“The Infinite Vulcan” - the Phylosians
“Once Upon A Planet” - cloud creature, but technically by Spock rather than Kirk
“Jihad” - the Skorr and the Vedala
“The Counter-Clock Incident” - anti--universe inhabitants
“BEM” - sentient reptile race
TMP - Vger

Last edited by Warped9; December 12 2013 at 06:56 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 06:41 AM   #19
Skywalker
Admiral

I retract my initial comment. Clearly I didn't think it through.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 06:55 AM   #20
Warped9
Admiral

There were actually more species encountered by Kirk, but technically someone else had already been there first.
Old December 12 2013, 07:41 AM   #21
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

Hey, you forgot the virus from "The Naked time".
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 08:17 AM   #22
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

I think its got to be a 'formal First Contact'.

Say Kirk with the Gorn. Technically the people on the Starbase that the Gorns wiped out were the first to contact the Gorns. Charlie X was the first to contact the Thasians too.
I think 'First Contact' must be where the
represenatives of one species have formal acknowledged interaction with the representatives of another species in either a friendly or unfriendly manner
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 01:56 PM   #23
Warped9
Admiral

The Archons and Iotians. Earlier starships contacted them first. With the Capellans whatever ship McCoy was on contacted them first some years prior. I made a point of trying to exclude those. There are a few others including worlds where contact had obviously happened long before. I didn't include the Talosians because Pike got there first.

In fairness you have also to define what you're contacting. Is it sentient, intelligent, a race, a new species. A virus isn't an intelligent life form. The Horta and the two different cloud creatures were self-aware and intelligent life forms.

Strictly speaking a civilization goes beyond simply a new species or race unless the term civilization is being used very loosely and perhaps incorrectly. In Trek we often see representatives of intelligent life forms, but not their civilizations. So does that still count? If not then the instances of first contact are far fewer.
Old December 12 2013, 02:09 PM   #24
Lance
Commodore

He certainly wanted to make "first contact" with Anij.

PICARD: I have 318 days of shore leave coming. And I intend to use them.
Yeah BABY, yeah!
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 02:25 PM   #25
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Lance wrote: View Post
He certainly wanted to make "first contact" with Anij.

PICARD: I have 318 days of shore leave coming. And I intend to use them.
Yeah BABY, yeah!
If she's been alive for 300+ years, he will probably be going where every Ba'ku male has gone before.
Old December 15 2013, 04:36 AM   #26
garak1
Captain

Kozinski wasn't with Starfleet. Though I'd imagine that the Traveler likely did interact with Starfleet officers prior to coming aboard the Enterprise due to being Kozinski's assistant.
As I recall, the Traveller was travelling incognito with Kozinski. I think they knew what he was capable of, but not who he was.

It was only during the warp experiments that his true identiy was disclosed to Picard. As such, I believe that Picard should be credited with the true 'First Contact' between the Federation and the Traveller species.

I also believe that the Ba'ku shown in 'Insurrection' had their First Contact with Picard. Whilst the Federation was aware of their presence, there was no contact until Data was revealed to them, and even then their true identities were not revealed until their interactions with Picard.

In regards to some of the other points made, as I understand it, 'First Contact' is proper, formal diplomatic contact between the Federation and another nation state. It is certainly possible for the Federation to be aware of other species but not to have made formal First Contact as of yet.

This also provides a convenient method for species to appear in prequel series or flashbacks prior to formal First Contact occuring. Whilst I didn't agree with all the appearances on such species on Enterprise, I do appreciate the logic of the formal First Contact process.

My thanks to those that posted in this thread.
garak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 07:18 AM   #27
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Q
There was a Q couple living on Earth long before Picard met Q, long enough before to have a daughter and have her grow to be an adult.

Likely many hundreds of people met them.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 10:01 AM   #28
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Frankincense + Myrrh wrote: View Post

Q
There was a Q couple living on Earth long before Picard met Q, long enough before to have a daughter and have her grow to be an adult.

Likely many hundreds of people met them.
IIRC though, wouldn't DeLancie Q be the first Q to make their presence officially known to the Federation, though? I would think that definitely counts as first contact, whereas the Q-parents lived incognito, and Starfleet had no record of the Q Continuum prior to Farpoint.
Old December 15 2013, 08:50 PM   #29
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I guess that it would be a matter of what is meant by "First Contact."

Is it a interaction between two species (this is what I believe), or is a official formal meeting?

Zephram met informally with the Captain of a exploration ship, that was considered "First Contact."

In 'Farpoint, all Picard did is talk to a single individual. Really, there has never been a official meeting between the Q Continum and the United Federation of Planets.

Last edited by T'Girl; December 15 2013 at 09:45 PM.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 12:11 AM   #30
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Frankincense + Myrrh wrote: View Post
I guess that it would be a matter of what is meant by "First Contact."

Is it a interaction between two species (this is what I believe), or is a official formal meeting?

Zephram met informally with the Captain of a exploration ship, that was considered "First Contact."

In 'Farpoint, all Picard did is talk to a single individual. Really, there has never been a official meeting between the Q Continum and the United Federation of Planets.

Encounters with the Continuum are definitely documented after Farpoint, though, so much so that Sisko and Janeway could access records about those encounters and that Starfleet could study their behavior through those records. There were no records of the incognito-Q, however (and indeed, wouldn't a Q be able to wipe out a universe's memory if they wanted to?). For whatever reason, the Continuum want their presence to be known to the Federation through Farpoint and beyond. Official documentation (record-keeping) would be an important part of First Contact: Q, the Borg, the Dominion, they all entered Federation records in their own ways -- hardly formal, but they made their presence known.

From Memory-Alpha:
The term first contact describes the first official encounter between representatives of two races or governments.
With that said, even though Picard met with a single individual, that individual revealed the nature of his government and race as an official representative of the Continuum (the trial being a very important part of the episode's plot -- trials are judiciary, which is a government institution), and that meeting led to further encounters between their two governments, albeit usually through the same representative.

The initial contact need not be formal -- after all, the Enterprise-D is still credited with first contact with the Ferengi, even though that was born of battle (so definitely not formal). Area 51 and the NX-01's encounters happened without humanity's true or consensual knowledge of the civilization and the Ferengi didn't identify themselves as the attacker of the Stargazer until years 9 years after their battle. The thing that defeats the incognito-Q as first contact is just that -- they didn't want humans to know about the Q at that point, so there was no first contact to speak of until Farpoint.

Last edited by Cyke101; December 16 2013 at 12:39 AM.
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote