RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,730
Posts: 5,432,702
Members: 24,836
Currently online: 416
Newest member: crazycornuts

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 14 2013, 09:11 PM   #1006
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

North Pole Myk wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
A good example of a callback was Nero screaming Spock's name like Kirk shouted "Khan", which means we had two call backs to in a row so far.
So any time a character shouts another characters name in Star Trek its a callback to Kirk in TWOK?
Given that Nero was inspired by Khan and the way Bana cranks it up, yeah, in that case it clearly was.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 09:14 PM   #1007
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

North Pole Myk wrote: View Post
Your query was "is this a Mitt Romney 'corporations are people' thing?" which isn't about someone "ripping off" the work of another person.
In a way, that's the whole point. The "can a corporation rip itself off?" ploy neatly ignores the question of whether or not an individual in fact ripped off the work of another individual. Hence the Romney reference, which was meant to highlight the fact that I was talking about people as opposed to corporations. Your response merely ignored this implication and doubled down on the "let's talk about corporations" strategy.

North Pole Myk wrote: View Post
Again, in answer to a question about companies ripping themselves off, you brought up Romney's quote. Those are the two statements I was responding to.
You actually had an entire thread at your disposal, not just two posts floating in some kind of void. Repeating someone else's strawman doesn't make it any less a strawman.
__________________
"Your advertising's just dandy. Folks'd never guess you ain't got a thing to sell."
Set Harth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 09:30 PM   #1008
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Set Harth wrote: View Post
North Pole Myk wrote: View Post
Your query was "is this a Mitt Romney 'corporations are people' thing?" which isn't about someone "ripping off" the work of another person.
In a way, that's the whole point. The "can a corporation rip itself off?" ploy neatly ignores the question of whether or not an individual in fact ripped off the work of another individual. Hence the Romney reference, which was meant to highlight the fact that I was talking about people as opposed to corporations. Your response merely ignored this implication and doubled down on the "let's talk about corporations" strategy.
No it does't as they are two different things.

I ignored nothing. I simply gave an answer to your question.


North Pole Myk wrote: View Post
Again, in answer to a question about companies ripping themselves off, you brought up Romney's quote. Those are the two statements I was responding to.
You actually had an entire thread at your disposal, not just two posts floating in some kind of void. Repeating someone else's strawman doesn't make it any less a strawman.
I quoted the posts in question for a reason. That reason being I was focusing on them and their content. I assumed that by quoting Belz post you were doing the same.

Again, not a strawman, but a perfectly valid answer to your question.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 09:41 PM   #1009
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Let's just agree it was lazy and call it a day. Some love it, some hate it, everyone is happy or miserable.
"Everyone see things my way and we can move on!"

If a movie makes someone miserable, they probably need to take a step back and reevaluate their lives.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 10:02 PM   #1010
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

You know I'm right.

MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 10:43 PM   #1011
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Let's just agree it was lazy and call it a day.
I'm not agreeing to that at all. And I know that, if they hadn't used the "Khaaaaaaaaaan" line, we'd all be arguing now about the writers' so-obvious, cowardly, missed opportunity at an affectionate callback/homage to ST II.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 10:48 PM   #1012
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
That's not quite the same thing, though, is it?
Well the reason it was an issue is because it was really two corporations(record guys) fighting over one person.

Had "The Old Man Down The Road" been written/performed by someone like, say, Big Head Todd, I doubt it would have ever come up.

Admittedly, the analogy would have been more correct if the issue was Sowards or Meyer went on to do another space adventure not titled Star Trek and not for Paramount and had a similar scene.

But the point I was trying to make is the only reason people are up in arms about it is because of the direct correlation.

Star Trek neither holds monopolies on death scenes were the heroes are separated by a barrier of some kind (with or without the palm touching), nor scenes where the protagonist screams the antagonist's name in anguish.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 10:57 PM   #1013
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Let's just agree it was lazy and call it a day.
I'm not agreeing to that at all. And I know that, if they hadn't used the "Khaaaaaaaaaan" line, we'd all be arguing now about the writers' so-obvious, cowardly, missed opportunity at an affectionate callback/homage to ST II.
I was being tounge and cheek, but you know I am right.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 11:02 PM   #1014
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
I was being tounge and cheek, but you know I am right.
No, now I have no idea what you were trying to say.

(I believe the term is "tongue-in-cheek".)
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 11:07 PM   #1015
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
You know I'm right.

I think we should all just admit that Star Trek Into Darkness is a fun movie to watch. Everyone knows I'm right!
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 11:10 PM   #1016
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
I was being tounge and cheek, but you know I am right.
No, now I have no idea what you were trying to say.

(I believe the term is "tongue-in-cheek".)
Blame it on my "smart phone" spellshek.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 11:20 PM   #1017
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think we should all just admit that Star Trek Into Darkness is a fun movie to watch. Everyone knows I'm right!
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 11:55 PM   #1018
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

BillJ wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
You know I'm right.

I think we should all just admit that Star Trek Into Darkness is a fun movie to watch. Everyone knows I'm right!
Is there some dispute about this?
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 12:20 AM   #1019
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

If only it were all fun. I do think the pre title sequence was fun. After that, no so much.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 12:27 AM   #1020
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Let's just agree it was lazy and call it a day.
I'm not agreeing to that at all. And I know that, if they hadn't used the "Khaaaaaaaaaan" line, we'd all be arguing now about the writers' so-obvious, cowardly, missed opportunity at an affectionate callback/homage to ST II.
No, we wouldn't. Mind you, the writers probably would have had nuSpock say/do something equally stupid.

BillJ wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
You know I'm right.

I think we should all just admit that Star Trek Into Darkness is a fun movie to watch. Everyone knows I'm right!
Speak for yourself. I had to force myself to watch it.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.