Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 5 2013, 09:44 AM   #721
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

diankra wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Oh I hate those 90 minute videos, although at least the Who ones make some sense, the Blakes 7 ones on the other hand...
Oh I remembver now. Blake's 7: The Beginning cut straight from Blake's trial to the start of episode two, didn't it, missing the next 30 minutes.
Something like that, I've tried to blank them out to be honest From watching B7 on it's first run it was probably around 91 when I saw those videos and I was horrified, this show I'd loved growing up was some kind of abomination that wasn't half the show I remembered! Luckily once they brought the proper box sets out I realised I still loved it!
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 10:23 PM   #722
kirk55555
Commodore

I watched The Pyramid of Mars. It was ok, but forgettable. The villain had kind of an interesting design, but honestly the story felt like it was stretched too long with 4 episodes. Next up for the 4th Doctor will be The Android Invasion.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 01:38 AM   #723
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Many years ago at a local science fiction convention, my roommates and I had an open room for Doctor Who videos. For some reason I have never been able to fathom, people wanted to see Pyramids of Mars... over... and... over... and... over.

To this day I cannot stand that story.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 12:59 PM   #724
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Pyramids of Mars is absolutely riveting. Love that story.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 11:38 PM   #725
Timewalker

Not when you have to put up with it four times in the same day!

Old February 1 2014, 12:53 AM   #726
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Moonbase. I was really looking forward to this but was left a bit underwhelmed.

The animation was ok in the first episode but I didn't enjoy part 3 and I put that down to the animation.

The making of doc was more entertaining.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 04:47 AM   #727
BlastHardcheese
Lieutenant Commander

The Ark. No, not that Ark in Space, the first one. I was pleasantly surprised to see the First Doctor performing actual medical care. Pity the Monoids were one-dimensional jerkass villains.
BlastHardcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 12:45 PM   #728
Captain Dago
Fleet Captain

The Sensorites. Really enjoyed it, too. One of the few episodes in which Susan is interesting.

Captain Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 12:26 AM   #729
kirk55555
Commodore

I watched The Android Invasion, which was ok but not very memorable. I then watched The Five Doctors, which I enjoyed. I wish that Tom Baker had actually appeared, but besides that it was a good story. It was also my first time watching something with the 5th Doctor (besides his web episode with Tennant) and the first time I've seen the Classic Who version of The Master. The 5th Doctor seemed cool, and I liked this version of the master better than the modern version (who isn't bad, but was a bit too goofy) and he was also about 1000x better than the movie version.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 09:34 AM   #730
Candlelight
Admiral

I just watched The Web Planet for the first time.

Weird. Just weird.
Old February 2 2014, 11:32 AM   #731
Timewalker

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I watched The Android Invasion, which was ok but not very memorable. I then watched The Five Doctors, which I enjoyed. I wish that Tom Baker had actually appeared, but besides that it was a good story. It was also my first time watching something with the 5th Doctor (besides his web episode with Tennant) and the first time I've seen the Classic Who version of The Master. The 5th Doctor seemed cool, and I liked this version of the master better than the modern version (who isn't bad, but was a bit too goofy) and he was also about 1000x better than the movie version.
The only good actors to ever play the Master were Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainley. Both so charming, so suave... so delightfully evil.

Old February 2 2014, 02:49 PM   #732
Morfius
Lieutenant Commander

Timewalker wrote: View Post
The only good actors to ever play the Master were Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainley. Both so charming, so suave... so delightfully evil.
Peter Prat was my Master
Morfius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 07:57 PM   #733
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Candlelight wrote: View Post
I just watched The Web Planet for the first time.

Weird. Just weird.
Yeah. That's my verdict in a nutshell as well. I later read an interview with RTD and Verity Lambert where Russell claimed it was a favourite of his. But maybe he was joking.

I've yet to see any of the classic Masters except for Delgado. I'm not sure they'll be able to measure up. He was fantastic in the role and the interactions between him and the Doctor could make up even for weak stories. I did like Simms' take a lot, too. I think it was a good decision to play the character differently from the classic version.
Old February 2 2014, 09:14 PM   #734
davejames
Vice Admiral

Just watched The Chase for the first time and thought it was a lot of fun. Obviously there wasn't much of a plot, with the Daleks simply chasing the TARDIS around from place to place, but it was still cool seeing them pop in and out of so many different environments so quickly. In fact it almost had the feel of a New Series story in that way.

Another one I finally finished was The Mind Robbers. I had trouble getting through it once before, but this time I thought the story actually worked rather well.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 12:16 AM   #735
DWF
Vice Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Ainley's Master should've been replaced after Peter Davison left IMO, his last three appearances weren't as good as his appearances against Davison.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote