MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 14 2013, 06:29 PM   #991
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Since you seem to have missed the point of the Romney reference, I'm not talking about intellectual property issues at the corporate level. I'm talking about a person copying or ripping off the work of another person. No legal issues involved.
Oh I got it. But the reality is person A and person B are employees of Corporation C. The work they do is for the corporation not for themselves. If I rip off Stephen King by lifting passages from the Stand in my own work, its different than if I'm hired by Stephen King to write a new version of the Stand and I'm allowed to use material from the Stand.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 06:35 PM   #992
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Hey, John Fogerty was sued for stealing form himself.

Twice.

Anything is possible.
Old December 14 2013, 07:03 PM   #993
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

North Pole Myk wrote: View Post
Oh I got it. But the reality is person A and person B are employees of Corporation C.
Oh then you don't got it. Because that's totally irrelevant. Did you, for some reason, imagine that I was talking about legally actionable issues? Copyright? Employment? Corporations? Because I wasn't. But have fun with your strawman, I guess.

CorporalClegg wrote:
Well, that explains the ensuing epidemic of shapelessness.
Old December 14 2013, 07:15 PM   #994
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post

Twice.
That's not quite the same thing, though, is it?

Oh I got it. But the reality is person A and person B are employees of Corporation C.
Oh then you don't got it. Because that's totally irrelevant. Did you, for some reason, imagine that I was talking about legally actionable issues? Copyright? Employment? Corporations? Because I wasn't. But have fun with your strawman, I guess.
Take a step back, Set.
Old December 14 2013, 07:27 PM   #995
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

What strawman? You asked if the question "Can a company rip itself off" was a reference to the "Mitt Romney 'corporations are people' thing". I said no and gave examples.

So, enlighten me, how does "Corporations are people" relate to "Can a company rip it's self off?"
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old December 14 2013, 07:40 PM   #996
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

What strawman?
All Star Trek products are part of the same franchise.

We know.

Again, I was never talking about companies or corporations. I was talking about individuals. An attempt to shift the discussion to a macro level where we don't see individuals anymore would be pointless, because:

Set Harth wrote:
I'm talking about a person copying or ripping off the work of another person.
Old December 14 2013, 07:55 PM   #997
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

What strawman?
All Star Trek products are part of the same franchise.

We know.

Again, I was never talking about companies or corporations. I was talking about individuals. An attempt to shift the discussion to a macro level where we don't see individuals anymore would be pointless, because:

Set Harth wrote:
I'm talking about a person copying or ripping off the work of another person.
How is what I said a strawman?

Your query was "is this a Mitt Romney 'corporations are people' thing?" which isn't about someone "ripping off" the work of another person. That's all I had to respond to. If you don't want to talk about corporations don't use a statement about corporations in response to a question about corporations.

Things like call backs and homages are a common tool for writers working in long running franchises or serial fiction. Its not a "bad thing" or a "ripoff".
Old December 14 2013, 08:15 PM   #998
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Let's just agree it was lazy and call it a day. Some love it, some hate it, everyone is happy or miserable.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 08:25 PM   #999
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

No, I can't agree that it was lazy. It's simply a tool used by writers.
Old December 14 2013, 08:37 PM   #1000
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Right, "homage".
Old December 14 2013, 08:43 PM   #1001
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Because I have not argued that the writers of TWOK and STID respectively were working for distinct franchises or corporations; because I have not alleged legal copyright infringement; because my position was about the actions of individuals and had nothing to do with corporations.

Things like call backs and homages are a common tool for writers working in long running franchises
You know what's uncommon? Ripping off a whole scene, just with two characters' roles cleverly switched, even going so far as to use dialogue lifted from the original scene. I don't think the average "callback" or "homage" is so bold as to boldly go there.
Old December 14 2013, 08:52 PM   #1002
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Because I have not argued that the writers of TWOK and STID respectively were working for distinct franchises or corporations; because I have not alleged legal copyright infringement; because my position was about the actions of individuals and had nothing to do with corporations.
Again, in answer to a question about companies ripping themselves off, you brought up Romney's quote. Those are the two statements I was responding to. No strawman, just a statement about the reality of work for hire.

Things like callbacks and homages are a common tool for writers working in long running franchises
You know what's uncommon? Ripping off a whole scene, just with two characters' roles cleverly switched, even going so far as to use dialogue lifted from the original scene. I don't think the average "callback" or "homage" is so bold as to boldly go there.
Sure they would, its pretty much the point of the device to either use the situation/dialog as previously seen or find a way to flip it.
Old December 14 2013, 08:57 PM   #1003
MakeshiftPython
Captain

A good example of a callback was Nero screaming Spock's name like Kirk shouted "Khan", which means we had two call backs to in a row so far.
Old December 14 2013, 09:03 PM   #1004
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
A good example of a callback was Nero screaming Spock's name like Kirk shouted "Khan", which means we had two call backs to in a row so far.
So any time a character shouts another characters name in Star Trek its a callback to Kirk in TWOK?
Old December 14 2013, 09:04 PM   #1005
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Yes. And a lazy one at that.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote