Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 13 2013, 02:01 AM   #2221
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

When in doubt: Fight Club.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 02:03 AM   #2222
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I don't know. Maybe the way Po only refers to him as "The Clairvoyant" rather than he or she. And what Raina said, "you can't even whisper to me about him."
Old December 13 2013, 02:59 AM   #2223
Christopher
Writer

I think it's possible that Po may be the Clairvoyant, but not as a split personality, just as a pretense he puts on to conceal the fact that he's really the one calling the shots -- like "Ducard" in Batman Begins.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 03:00 AM   #2224
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I like the idea of the Clairvoyant communicating via the eye-bug over the split personality thing.
Old December 13 2013, 03:08 AM   #2225
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the reasoning for each of you why you think split personality is the explanation?
For me, it was just a vibe that I was getting during his one expositional scene with Raina about the Clairvoyant this episode. It just struck me that there was something odd going on. Playing into this was the oddity that Po was the only one who could talk to the Clairvoyant even when he was behind bars. That he could also talk to the Clairvoyant after being freed reinforced the idea that there was something unique to Po going on. Also, Po always seems reluctant to call upon him, which could suggest compartmentalization.

But the eye device also fits the scenario.
Old December 13 2013, 03:27 AM   #2226
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, my thought is there's a clear chain of command. Even those controlling others are controlled themselves. Both Reyna and Po are being controlled. Po apparently got too close to someone in the past and was then told he had to kill that person (I'm trying to remember that dialog, though, so there might be more to that). Clearly his boss values anonymity. He probably figured even a whisper would be too much of a risk.

The line about the clairvoyant being someone with a lot of resources instead of psychic powers struck me as being the key why it wasn't Po. Since he was in prison, he wouldn't have had anywhere near those kinds of resources. I also think that's the truth since they seemed to try to quickly bury it with a fake out right after (something about Fitz saying that, if he were clairvoyant, he'd try to win the lottery).
Old December 13 2013, 04:09 AM   #2227
kitik
Lieutenant Commander

So I'm going to assume Mike is still alive. Come on, in the comics, no body = no death. (And even then that's still not enough sometimes obviously.)

Anyone else notice that Coulson clearly ran a stopsign while he was driving?
kitik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 04:15 AM   #2228
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

kitik wrote: View Post
Come on, in the comics, no body = no death.
That's not a trope limited to just comics it's pretty much the case in all of fiction. Hell in many cases even having a body doesn't mean death. Death only means "we actually never see this character again."
Old December 13 2013, 04:46 AM   #2229
kitik
Lieutenant Commander

Of course. I'm not sure why people are assuming he's dead.
kitik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 05:23 AM   #2230
Christopher
Writer

I don't think people are unaware of the possibility that he may have survived. But for now, for story purposes, he is effectively dead. Which is about as dead as anyone ever gets in comics these days.

Old December 13 2013, 07:10 AM   #2231
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't think people are unaware of the possibility that he may have survived. But for now, for story purposes, he is effectively dead. Which is about as dead as anyone ever gets in comics these days.
Why? Because the episode basically ended on a cliffhanger regarding his fate? No one's even gone in to check to see if he survived the blast, and they sure as hell haven't declared him dead.
Old December 13 2013, 11:29 AM   #2232
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I'll keep holding out hope that Mike is alive. I like the idea that he confided in Coulson beforehand and that this was a triple cross.

The reason I think Po is the Clairvoyant, as somebody already said, is that he was able to communicate with him in prison and still Raina and the others have no way to track him. Although Raina may suspect, given her attempts to seduce Po.

As for the meeting at the end, Ward's position was meant to show that there was no good position-- that Centipede had arranged it so that there was no clear shot. Foreshadowing that everything was going to go toes up (as if we needed that ). They had the trucks rigged to explode to forestall pursuit. They didn't blow up the car to make anybody think Coulson was dead, but just to get rid of their stuff and as a gesture to SHIELD that they had been pwned. Similarly, they shot exactly at Ward's position as the final finger to SHIELD, telling them that they had lost before they even showed up. The Clairvoyant knew exactly where Ward would be positioned-- either because of genuine clairvoyance, or a bug of some kind, or a mole.
Old December 13 2013, 05:08 PM   #2233
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I gotta say, I agree with The AV Club on this one, as I have the past few:
What's that? You say the fighting is mostly going to be concentrated in a warehouse filled with shipping crates? And be totally completely utterly boring? Oh, good. Wouldn’t want things to speed up in between the interminable dialogue. Skye is trying to figure out who her mom is, and getting blown off by Coulson and May. Ward is making sure May realizes he still puts the job above their relationship, whatever that might be. Fitz and Simmons are twittering away at each other about nothing in particular. I just named all the characters of the show.

As an MCU completist up to this point, I can hardly believe I'm saying this, but I might well not watch every ep from here on; it's just too dull, and ABC's spotty streaming connection (my Arrow streaming from the CW site is much smoother) ain't helping either. The show has a serious in-universe credibility problem in that Big SHIELD should have enough resources to crush anything but the most advanced opposition. Why did May only call for satellite surveillance when things went south? Surely they should have had a drone with x-ray and thermal video on hand to track the baddies after the handoff as well as the scent ploy, a drone that could then track the helicopter? It's not as though there's a Level 7 agent at risk or anything... oh, wait...

Also, the show needs some stylish villains, stat. The dullard duo from this ep doesn't qualify. Let's have that smarmy corporate guy from "The Asset" and more like him again, please.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 05:58 PM   #2234
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Well, I've maintained that the guy from The Asset is in charge of this organization, so you might get your wish. My personal view is, if you agree with this review, then you shouldn't watch the show. I don't see why anyone should watch a show they don't enjoy. It just makes them miserable and everyone else miserable when that person inevitably complains about not liking the show.

All that being said, this is stupid:
Also, these six idiots are the only ones who are being put on this mission? Centipede has a team of super-soldiers. I get that we can’t call in Iron Man because Robert Downey Jr.’s quote is too high. But we can’t even have a couple backup units? Jeez.
The lack of backup units was deliberately explained and deliberately set up to create drama. This isn't like the complaint of previous episodes where Coulson's team seems oddly on their own. In fact, recently, they seem less on their own. Sure, it happened off screen, but they mentioned how they've flushed out Centipede's camp with massive SHIELD force and have had no success. Mentioning that in dialog is a contrivance for television, sure, but I'm not going to fault them for saving their money.

At the end of the episode, they're on radio with SHIELD telling them to give them satellite coverage so SHIELD was apparently waiting for their signal to respond (they just had to be far enough away as to not get a kid killed). If the complaint is that it's illogical for the team to go alone, I'd have to disagree given the circumstances. If the complaint is that it would be more exciting to see a massive SHIELD force appear, I'd have to disagree as well since the tension was in their helplessness at that moment.

The impression is that next episode will involve SHIELD HQ more, along with Victoria Hand, and will presumably spend all the money on extras that this episode saved (although, if they don't think Coulson is worth retrieving, maybe it won't). Either way, it makes more sense from a story perspective than having a lot of people would in this episode.
Old December 13 2013, 06:30 PM   #2235
Christopher
Writer

I think Iron Man 3 made it pretty clear that Stark was retiring from the superhero game, at least until Age of Ultron pulls him back in somehow. But I did wonder what was keeping Cap so busy that he couldn't be brought in on this. Hopefully The Winter Soldier will explain that.

Of course, there is the fact that Fury lied to the Avengers about Coulson dying, so maybe he's reluctant to bring them in on any of Coulson's cases because he doesn't want to have to have that conversation if he can avoid it. Still, the bigger the threats faced by Coulson's Bus Team, the more implausible it gets that Fury wouldn't bite the bullet and do what had to be done.