MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old November 19 2013, 04:36 PM   #31
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Captain Worf?

BillJ wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The problem with anything based on a particular alien race is that not everyone likes said race or gets easily bored with them.
I just think the Klingons were badly overexposed during the Berman years.
There are people who feel the same way about the Borg or felt way too much screen time was given to the Bajorans and the Ferengi in DS9. Some are even sick to death of Vulcans in Trek.
It was fun to glimpse them in the Abramsverse but I'm one that really isn't going to be excited if the next movie features them.
I think it generally does come to what Star Trek race is your favorite or one you don't get tired of seeing.
Old November 19 2013, 06:27 PM   #32
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I rewatched STIII yesterday, and thought the bit where Kruge beams down to Genesis, is immediately nearly killed and then casually reports "Nothing going on here" was hilarious. It made me want to see a Klingon comedy version of Star Trek (or read How Much For Just the Planet? again)

But serious Klingon political dealings? Booooor-ing!
Old November 21 2013, 02:10 AM   #33
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

If we got more of a Kor from "Errand Of Mercy" vibe - or any TOS type Klingons - I'd be OK with it. But the TNG/DS9 "honour and bravery", Klingon Houses, political machinations sort of thing is well and truly done and dusted, we really don't need anymore of it.
Old November 22 2013, 01:46 PM   #34
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
The majority of "Klingon episodes" could be erased from existence, and I'd never care, except on some level about how it's good to preserve media for posterity. Only a minority of those episodes were any good to begin with. Most of those were in TNG, and easily half of TNG's Klingon episodes were crap.
Have to agree. Klingons have been overused to the point of becoming a parody of themselves, all bolstering about honour and war but not being great on either front. I agreed with Ezri Dax and her opinions on the Empire, it deserves to be left alone and die out.

It was fun to glimpse them in the Abramsverse but I'm one that really isn't going to be excited if the next movie features them.
I hope they won't be back, all the bling is disturbing. Plus what's with the helmets? Klingon skulls are thick and bony, rendering head protection pretty useless other than a fashion accessory.
Old November 22 2013, 05:03 PM   #35
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Funny, I was thinking that about the humans.

I'd love a show dealing with the Klingons! Literally EVERY single other non cartoon show on TV right now deals with humans. And we are DULL.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 07:39 AM   #36
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

On topic, this Worf series sounds just like Star Trek: Renegades, but with a different captain (who, as a descendant of Khan, would be able to clean the deck with Worf's face)
Why?

If Khan's children started mating with regular folks, after fifteen generations you'd think the superior abilities would have been bred-out.
IIRC, no, it's the reverse; the qualities would have spread into the gene pool and based on intermarraige, there would be a lot of Augements around. It's if the Auguments only marry other Auguments and interbreed that the race would be extinct due to the sameness of the genetic stock.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 08:26 AM   #37
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

This article would seem to put the kibosh on the Captain Worf project.

Looks like the project has been put on the backburner:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ar-trek-611279

Michael Dorn said:
"Last year, there was interest and I talked to a couple producers, and we actually had [a] pitch meeting with Paramount and CBS," Dorn said. So why haven't we heard more about this Worf series before now? "Business things got in the way in terms of the J.J. Abrams movie coming out and CBS/Paramount and their relationship with J.J. Abrams," he explained. "I don't think they wanted to step on his toes by putting a new series on, but it's not dead yet."
That article is dated 21 August 2013. In other words, even though Dorn says the project is "not dead yet," it basically is for the foreseeable future.
Old December 13 2013, 08:41 AM   #38
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

"You have no honour!"
"No, YOU have no honour!"
"I said it first!"
Old December 14 2013, 04:06 AM   #39
BigJake
Rear Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
I'd love a show dealing with the Klingons! Literally EVERY single other non cartoon show on TV right now deals with humans. And we are DULL.
Our collective stereotypes about "warrior races" are much duller, IMO.
Old December 14 2013, 11:34 AM   #40
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I think a hypothetical Klingon show can't be just about the Klingons. If anything, it should probably show that the Klingon Empire actually consists of many races like the Federation, but that Klingons naturally dominate. Some of those races may have been conquered, while others may have willingly joined the Klingons for various reasons (including a dislike of the Federation).

It should paint the Klingons as being more than one-dimensional, perhaps even revealing that most of their warrior bluster is more of a long-standing policy with other nations and that some hidden non-warrior aspects of the Empire would surprise us, including the roles of non-Klingons within it.
Old December 27 2013, 08:49 PM   #41
TheSubCommander
Captain

SolitaryJustice wrote: View Post
They could make an awesome Worf-centered story that explored his duties as Martok's Federation Ambassador, have him in some cool political stories, think less sci-fi and more West Wing or Law & Order even... except within Klingon society, so honor killings, legal house, exploration of the corruption of the High Council and their workings in a post-Romulus galaxy... could be frakkin' GOOD...
Not that it will happen, but I was about to say something similar, but with Worf as an ambassador to Romulus (or what's left of the Romulan Empire post destruction, and based on "New Romulus"), although, I would rather it be more like a toned down version of the Borgias or Tudors in the Trek universe, when it comes to political intrigue, and with Worf not the only central character.

But a Captain Worf show? I don't see how that would even be remotely interesting, unless he was captain on a Klingon ship.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
"You have no honour!"
"No, YOU have no honour!"
"I said it first!"
All you care about is your honor!
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 02:09 PM   #42
desfem79
Lieutenant Commander

Capt. Worf? hmm.. Whilst TNG was the shit (and DS9 was the shit also), Trek needs to let them die down. It needs to innovate a new concept, which in fairness it has done with the alternate universe. Besides, Enterprise and Nemesis were mistakes IMO, and in 2001 there should be have a brief TNG miniseries in their place, with Shinzon as the enemy in the two part finale, Riker promoted to Captain and Data dying.
desfem79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 10:18 PM   #43
dub
Captain

I love the character. But I must admit, I kind of have Worfatigue.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote