MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 13 2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Skywalker
Admiral

Sony Pictures developing Venom, Sinister Six films

Announcement from Sony Pictures, hot off the presses.

This isn't entirely surprising to me. I was just reading the other day that Sony had already scheduled a fourth Spidey movie for release in 2016 and that they had plans to expand the universe on film. Venom's a no-brainer from a marketing standpoint, and I'll bet that he'll be the focus of that fourth movie (perhaps with TASM3 leading into it?).

But what really interests me is the Sinister Six. It'll be a nice change of pace to see a comic book film that focuses on the villains. And IMO Spider-Man has one of the best rogues galleries in comics (maybe second only to Batman's), so I don't think the Sinister Six will have any trouble standing on their own. I'm also intrigued by the involvement of Drew Goddard. I've enjoyed his work ever since his days on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But in addition to this he's also working on the Daredevil Netflix series for Marvel. Hopefully those duties won't conflict with each other.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Sony Pictures developing Venom, Sinister Six films

So how many superheroes films are we going to get each year? X-Men, Spider-man, and DC are all trying to copy Marvel and get their own massive expanded universes started. I love it, but I'm not sure that the industry can support this for long.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Why not? They're digging into stories most people aren't familiar with. As long as they space things out, it should be fine. Pacing is the key. If you have umpteen superhero movies coming out every damn year, then yeah, you're going to hit a saturation point and kill the golden goose.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^The problem is, Hollywood's kind of yucky at doing that, so the golden goose might not be safe after all.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I don't see why it would.

Comics have been "oversaturated" practically since their inception, yet they went on strong for decades (until they started overcharging for them, of course).

Unless one is coming out each week or something and it all becomes a jumbled mess, I don't see why the obsession over them will diminish all that much. People have always loved their tales of the gods. It's pretty much ingrained in us as a species.
Old December 13 2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

But individual comic books didn't need to pull in $300-400 million just to break even. We're soon going to have half a dozen big budget comic book films (or maybe more?) every year in additional to various TV series connected to those films. I don't know how much longer we can go until we get some high profile failures on the level of The Lone Ranger.

Old December 13 2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

It'll be just like when any other movie fails. There've already been some real superhero bombs. Catwoman and Green Lantern, for example. Does that mean the genre is unwelcome, or just those particular movies sucked? (Hint: The latter.)
Old December 13 2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
But individual comic books didn't need to pull in $300-400 million just to break even. We're soon going to have half a dozen big budget comic book films (or maybe more?) every year in additional to various TV series connected to those films. I don't know how much longer we can go until we get some high profile failures on the level of The Lone Ranger.
Steven Spielberg predicts we'll be seeing lots of failures soon

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...on-film-567604

Steven Spielberg on Wednesday predicted an "implosion" in the film industry is inevitable, whereby a half dozen or so $250 million movies flop at the box office and alter the industry forever. What comes next -- or even before then -- will be price variances at movie theaters, where "you're gonna have to pay $25 for the next Iron Man, you're probably only going to have to pay $7 to see Lincoln." He also said that Lincoln came "this close" to being an HBO movie instead of a theatrical release.

People paying 25 dollars for an Iron Man movie and other movies going on HBO or even streaming options
Old December 13 2013, 09:51 PM   #9
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
It'll be just like when any other movie fails. There've already been some real superhero bombs. Catwoman and Green Lantern, for example. Does that mean the genre is unwelcome, or just those particular movies sucked? (Hint: The latter.)
Those movies bombed because they sucked. I'm talking about a good comic book movie failing due to over-saturation.

Old December 13 2013, 10:19 PM   #10
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Who exactly determines that?

As far as the studios are concerned, box office returns is all that really matters. If a movie is considered brilliant by critics and fans alike but still does crap at the box office, it won't be considered any less of a "flop" than movies that sucked and did poorly, such as Green Lantern.

The only way for there to be "over-satuation" is for there to be more movies coming out greatly exceeds the rate at which people go to the movies in the first place. Which for me is about once a week. So, feel free to let me know when they're putting out 53+ "blockbuster" superhero films a year and I'll consider conceding your point. Though in all likelihood I'd probably just increase the rate at which I go to the theater if it's a hero I'm interested in.
Old December 13 2013, 11:18 PM   #11
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i hope the Venom film is the Flash Thompson Agent Venom incarnation.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 04:22 AM   #12
TemporalFlux
Commodore

So would the Sinister Six film be a lead up to Spider-man 3? It would make sense instead of trying to cram additional villain origins plus the formation of the team into just Spider-man 3.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 05:03 AM   #13
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
So would the Sinister Six film be a lead up to Spider-man 3? It would make sense instead of trying to cram additional villain origins plus the formation of the team into just Spider-man 3.
They'd have to put a Sinister Six film together very quickly or move back The Amazing Spider-Man 3, currently set for release in June 2016, for that to happen.
Old December 14 2013, 05:23 AM   #14
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
I think it's more likely the other way around. Spider-man 2 and 3 will set up the Sinister Six film by establishing the villains to be used in that film.

Old December 17 2013, 10:30 PM   #15
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
i hope the Venom film is the Flash Thompson Agent Venom incarnation.

Can they do an Agent Venom movie? Does the contracts extend to anti villains created after the year 2000 or so?

Venom can be done by Sony and Flash Thompson is okay as well, can Sony be allowed to put the two together and not have Disney cry foul? Agent Venom was a Disney era creation and as such he may only be used by Disney in that incarnation.