IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 8 2013, 10:08 AM   #31
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: Netflix VS HuluPlus...

Recently got a Kindle Fire, so I got a free trial of Amazon Prime and... I was not impressed. For the simple fact that not all the video (tv, movies) on there is included with such. A lot is; but some they still want you to pay $1-2.99 an episode. Which... yeah, no. Needless to say after trying it I won't be dumping the $80 a year for it. The free shipping is nice, but if I spend enough I can get that sans prime anyway. LOL.

Netflix, meanwhile, has become where I spend 80% of my TV viewing time. Love it. HuluPlus; bleh. I hate their interface (oddly enough Amazon's is like that on TV too).

Ah well! Netflix is king. Yay.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 08:08 PM   #32
Festering Esper
Admiral

Good to know about Amazon Prime. I had just assumed that once you paid the $79 that all the shows and movies were included.
Old December 8 2013, 10:01 PM   #33
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I think he's confusing shows/videos that are Prime eligible and those that aren't.

Amazon has pretty much anything you could think of in their streaming library--basically anything you could also buy the dvd/bluray for. But, like Netflix, there are legal/licensing limitations on what they can provide for free.

Netflix chooses to omit all those videos from their streaming library. Amazon lets you pay for them if you want to watch them anyway. And, with a Prime account, the pay videos are still cheaper than you're going to find them for anywhere else.

For example, the day the STiD was out for the early online release, I got it right at midnight for $12.

Non the less, from just the shipping, the discounts, and the like the $80/year almost pays for itself before even taking the prime videos into account.
Old December 8 2013, 11:18 PM   #34
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Plus with Prime they give you discounts if you are a mother and a student. And it's easy to fake a student account.
Old December 11 2013, 05:24 AM   #35
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Heck, they have all the Trek series on Amazon Prime and the first ten movies too. They don't have TAS but CBS has that.
Peach Wookiee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 07:20 AM   #36
cylkoth
Commodore

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I think he's confusing shows/videos that are Prime eligible and those that aren't.

Amazon has pretty much anything you could think of in their streaming library--basically anything you could also buy the dvd/bluray for. But, like Netflix, there are legal/licensing limitations on what they can provide for free.

Netflix chooses to omit all those videos from their streaming library. Amazon lets you pay for them if you want to watch them anyway. And, with a Prime account, the pay videos are still cheaper than you're going to find them for anywhere else.

For example, the day the STiD was out for the early online release, I got it right at midnight for $12.

Non the less, from just the shipping, the discounts, and the like the $80/year almost pays for itself before even taking the prime videos into account.
There are two separate Amazon services-the Amazon Video Store and the Amazon Prime Instant streaming service. The streaming service comes as part of the yearly Prime membership. The Video Store is where pay per view rentals and digital movie downloads are sold. It would be nice for consumers if they separated the two to avoid confusion, but obviously, they want people to get excited over seeing a ''new out on dvd'' title listed and think it can b watched as part of the subscription, only to find that it'll cost extra.

Most of the material that comes with Prime are movies that have been or currently are available on Netflix. I've noticed that each major studio seems to allocate a selection of their older content that is made available for sale to streaming services, and these titles are moved back and forth between the services in cycles. And the Epix Pay TV Channel sells a package of movies they have under license to Netflix, Amazon Prime and Redbox' streaming outfit.
Old December 12 2013, 08:37 PM   #37
Tom
Rear Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Heck, they have all the Trek series on Amazon Prime and the first ten movies too. They don't have TAS but CBS has that.

To add... I have the online trifecta (Netflix, Hulu+ and Amazon). for TNG:

Netflix - NO episodes in HD
Huluplus - First 2 seasons only in HD
Amazon - FOUR seasons in HD!! (probably the 5th in a couple months)

All have Tos in HD. So, if you looking to check out TNG in HD and cant buy the disks, use Amazon.
Old December 12 2013, 09:08 PM   #38
CorporalClegg
Admiral

To note, Amazon doesn't have all of season four in HD yet. At least it didn't a couple of days ago.
Old December 13 2013, 12:05 AM   #39
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

I was actually wondering about that. I give it less than a year, and Netflix will have the HD episodes of TNG.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 01:55 AM   #40
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I hope so. Netflix's interface is better, especially on PCs.
Old December 13 2013, 02:57 AM   #41
cylkoth
Commodore

Ugh, I don't like the recently revamped UI on the PS3. The design is opressively dark, with the black ground making the text difficult to read, and the shading done on the dvd cover tiles and thumbnails.
Old December 13 2013, 03:24 AM   #42
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

I have a Roku box, and I like that interface. It's easy to read, quick to browse. Of course, the interface I'm using is for a Rokue N1000, which is the 1st Gen Roku boxes, and their update stops at 3.1, while I believe the new interface for Roku 3s and higher is 5.0, so one's mileage may vary depending on what one has.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote