Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 12 2013, 04:55 PM   #16
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Re: Kindle Broken - Likelyhood of Replacement?

On the point of replacing the item to continue selling content... I wouldn't be surprised, a while back pretty significant coupons towards new Kindles (or maybe just Kindle Fire) were being sent out, and seemed like they were directed to people buying a lot of content. I've bought more Kindles than eBooks from Amazon, and naturally didn't get any coupon. I wouldn't be surprised if support staff also had access to that sort of information. Maybe some people would get Kindles replaced for free, but I seriously doubt I would unless it was in warranty.
Old December 12 2013, 09:37 PM   #17
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Queen Mab wrote: View Post
I have a Kindle Keyboard that has broken. What kind of replacement or offer can I expect from Amazon?
A keyboard? How quaint!

Old December 12 2013, 11:20 PM   #18
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Yoda wrote: View Post
On the point of replacing the item to continue selling content... I wouldn't be surprised, a while back pretty significant coupons towards new Kindles (or maybe just Kindle Fire) were being sent out, and seemed like they were directed to people buying a lot of content. I've bought more Kindles than eBooks from Amazon, and naturally didn't get any coupon. I wouldn't be surprised if support staff also had access to that sort of information. Maybe some people would get Kindles replaced for free, but I seriously doubt I would unless it was in warranty.
I was going to suggest that they probably would want to replace a Kindle for someone who made many purchases. I have bought over 300 Kindle books in the last three years via my Amazon account. Some of those have been for my son and best friend who have their devices registered via my account but at least 220 of them are for books I purchased for myself. Though I do own a Kindle I read them mainly on my iPad so I don't think I would care about replacing a Kindle if my Kindle broke especially as I plan to buy a iPad Air next year.
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 10:03 PM   #19
Spider
Dirty Old Man

Well, speak of the devil. My Kindle paperwhite just broke. So I went to their support site and started a chat and they are going to ship me a new Kindle. Which is fine, but now I don't have my Kindle for this weekend. Oh well.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 10:18 PM   #20
Relayer1
Commodore

You have no right to a replacement, repair or discount - you've had it for over 12 months. No retailer would normally do that unless you have some sort of extended warranty or cover.

You might be able to pay for it to be repaired - a quick check on Google turned up places doing it for about £60.00.
Old December 13 2013, 11:13 PM   #21
Spider
Dirty Old Man

I bought an extended warranty.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 11:42 PM   #22
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
You have no right to a replacement, repair or discount - you've had it for over 12 months. No retailer would normally do that unless you have some sort of extended warranty or cover.

You might be able to pay for it to be repaired - a quick check on Google turned up places doing it for about £60.00.
Which would make it far more economical to just buy a new one (Amazon has the Kindle 4 for $69 US, which is roughly £42.00).

Rainbow Dash Buys A Ford Pinto, A Short Story by LotusTeaDragon
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 11:56 PM   #23
Miss Chicken

If people outside the US buy a Kindle from Amazon.com it costs them more. For example when I try to buy the Kindle 4 the price changes to $AUD89 which is about $US80 (I gather this is because I cannot have the of "Kindle with Special Offers") plus I would have to pay for postage.

Also, I think that anyone from Britain would have to pay VAT on a new Kindle from the USA.

edited to add - it seems that British buyers have to buy Kindles from Amazon UK where the Kindle 4 is £69 ($US112). They also are not able to buy books from Amazon US but are geolocked to the British site.

This is the reason I am refusing to transfer to the new Amazon Australia site (which only sells e-books). If I join the Australian Amazon I will be charged GST (10%) for e-books plus books will probably be dearer and less books will be available. I won't transfer until Amazon stops giving me a choice.

Last edited by Miss Chicken; December 14 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old December 14 2013, 12:10 AM   #24
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
If people outside the US buy a Kindle from Amazon.com it costs them more. For example when I try to buy the Kindle 4 the price changes to $AUD89 which is about $US80 plus i would have to pay for postage.

Also, I think that anyone from Britain would have to pay VAT on a new Kindle from the USA.
Ouch. Still, at $80, it's probably better just to buy a new one than pay roughly $60 for the repair. It depends on one's budget and whether one wants to keep the older model, though.

Old December 14 2013, 12:21 AM   #25
Miss Chicken

Sorry, you must have posted as I was editing to let you know that it seems it would cost the OP $US112 to get a Kindle 4 because of being geolocked into the UK Amazon.
Old December 14 2013, 10:13 AM   #26
jazamul
Vice Admiral

If people outside the US buy a Kindle from Amazon.com it costs them more. For example when I try to buy the Kindle 4 the price changes to $AUD89 which is about $US80 (I gather this is because I cannot have the of "Kindle with Special Offers") plus I would have to pay for postage.

edited to add - it seems that British buyers have to buy Kindles from Amazon UK where the Kindle 4 is £69 ($US112). They also are not able to buy books from Amazon US but are geolocked to the British site.

This is the reason I am refusing to transfer to the new Amazon Australia site (which only sells e-books). If I join the Australian Amazon I will be charged GST (10%) for e-books plus books will probably be dearer and less books will be available. I won't transfer until Amazon stops giving me a choice.
Are you buying as an Australian on the US Amazon site? Those prices are significantly different than the actual US site. From what I've seen, sometimes the Australian site is cheaper sometimes the US (Australian) site is cheaper.

I won't switch, because I've set up my amazon account so that I appear to be from the US and therefore pay US prices which is significantly cheaper.
Old December 14 2013, 10:19 AM   #27
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Sorry, you must have posted as I was editing to let you know that it seems it would cost the OP $US112 to get a Kindle 4 because of being geolocked into the UK Amazon.
Sweet Jebus! Ah well, it all works out. Kindles from the U.S. are more expensive, and some of my favorite candies from the UK are more expensive. I guess we all get it in the end.

Old December 14 2013, 10:54 AM   #28
Miss Chicken

Are you buying as an Australian on the US Amazon site? Those prices are significantly different than the actual US site. From what I've seen, sometimes the Australian site is cheaper sometimes the US (Australian) site is cheaper.

I won't switch, because I've set up my amazon account so that I appear to be from the US and therefore pay US prices which is significantly cheaper.
I am buying as an Australian on the US Amazon site. I know I could set it up to look like I am from the US but I have never done so because geo-dodging is a legal grey area.

I will sit back and wait and see how other Australians fare before I commit myself to Australian Amazon. I have about 50 as yet unread e-books so there is no great need for me to buy e-books in the next couple of months.
Old December 15 2013, 12:24 AM   #29
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I still buy my books from the US site, mainly because it wasn't an option to buy them from the Canadian site when I bought mine. I think it's only been about a year that the option's been available.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote