To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 12 2013, 02:16 AM   #466
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

The stars on the American flag represent the 50 states. The Star on the Texas State flag say fuck the other 49 stars who think they're the same as us... How many stars are on her knickers and what do they mean?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 02:18 AM   #467
BigJake
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
For anyone who thinks you need to be big and buff to kick ass, I present to you British Martial Arts Champion Chloe Bruce.
She's worked on Thor 2, Kick-Ass 2, PoTC: On Stranger Tides, and John Carter.
I think I'm in love.
She sells that fight choreography like a boss, it's true.
Old December 12 2013, 07:42 PM   #468
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The stars on the American flag represent the 50 states. The Star on the Texas State flag say fuck the other 49 stars who think they're the same as us... How many stars are on her knickers and what do they mean?
The five-pointed star is used very widely around the world.

Flags which use the five-pointed star include the European Union, Algeria, Chile, China, New Zealand, North Korea, Turkey, it's even on the Esperanto flag.

Also, it's been used as a symbol of the Soviet Union (usually in red, known as the Red Star), as well as in the Ottoman Empire, the Druze, the Bahá'í faith, the Order of the Eastern Star,

It's most probably derived from the Pentagram, which has been used as early as the Babylonians, to whom it was an important religious symbol.

It's also been used, and here comes the WW connection, by Pythagoreanism, a cult/movement founded on the principals of ancient Greek mathematician and philosopher Pythagoras (you probably remember the Pythagoras theorem from school). Their philosophy was based on a harmony in the universe, nature, mankind and the individual itself.

The fact that the five-pointed star has been used as both a symbol of military strength and ideals of harmony actually make it the perfect symbol to wear as a peace-loving Amazon warrior.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 03:18 AM   #469
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Kai Kringle wrote: View Post

Flags which use the five-pointed star include the European Union, Algeria, Chile, China, New Zealand, North Korea, Turkey, it's even on the Esperanto flag.

Also, it's been used as a symbol of the Soviet Union (usually in red, known as the Red Star), as well as in the Ottoman Empire, the Druze, the Bahá'í faith, the Order of the Eastern Star,

It's most probably derived from the Pentagram, which has been used as early as the Babylonians, to whom it was an important religious symbol.

It's also been used, and here comes the WW connection, by Pythagoreanism, a cult/movement founded on the principals of ancient Greek mathematician and philosopher Pythagoras (you probably remember the Pythagoras theorem from school). Their philosophy was based on a harmony in the universe, nature, mankind and the individual itself.

The fact that the five-pointed star has been used as both a symbol of military strength and ideals of harmony actually make it the perfect symbol to wear as a peace-loving Amazon warrior.
A very erudite contribution, but no, Wonder Woman doesn't wear stars as a nod to Pythagoreanism.
Old December 13 2013, 03:22 AM   #470
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

A squared + B squared = C squared.

Or you can see him weekly on Atlantis side by side with Hercules.

The Stars on New Zealand and Australian flags are directions.

Our addresses.

For in case if we get lost.

Now we know how to get home.

Just like in Stargate.

Old December 13 2013, 03:25 AM   #471
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

What if WW had Stars & Bars?

LOL.

ETA: https://www.google.com/search?q=wond...w=1366&bih=642 Add Okay that search didn't have what I hoped!
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 03:49 AM   #472
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Kai Kringle wrote: View Post

It was also used as a symbol for Venus, the morning star, who was the patron deity of Marston's Amazons. This site has a neat demonstration of the pentagram stuff with Venus. It's the sort of thing occultists and astrologers love, not to mention Dan Brown. https://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/AstronNotes/Earth-Venus.htm
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched

Last edited by Gov Kodos; December 13 2013 at 11:40 AM.
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 06:13 AM   #473
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Why would a country with no men worship a love goddess?

Sure, you say lesbians now, but you go back 70 years and most "ordinary" people were not allowed to know what that is.

Old December 13 2013, 08:27 AM   #474
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

It's not that mysterious. WW was sent to "Man's World" as an ambassador. To reflect this they dressed her in the colors of that world's most powerful nation.
And the second penguin said "Maybe I am..."
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 08:47 AM   #475
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

AgentDreidel wrote: View Post
It's not that mysterious. WW was sent to "Man's World" as an ambassador. To reflect this they dressed her in the colors of that world's most powerful nation.
Isn't that pretty much the opposite of what an ambassador is supposed to do?
Old December 13 2013, 12:40 PM   #476
AllStarEntprise
Captain

Found this clip on Youtube. I have to say I like Gal's accent. I'm an American and i like the idea of WW having an exotic sounding voice.

Also there has been a firestorm of criticism on tumblr and other sites about the casting. Specifically that the former MMA fighter Gina Carano turned actress (seen in the above clip with opposite Gadot) not being cast as WW. A quick YouTube search and you can pull up a number of her fights. She tough and very talented fighter. Carano was also the inspiration for the character Korra in the Avatar series.

Looking at her photos and at her fight videos. She does resemble what people imagine WW should look like in comparison to Gadot.

Last edited by AllStarEntprise; December 13 2013 at 06:47 PM.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 05:16 PM   #477
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Gadot is a better actress than Carano. While Carano was okay in her largely dialogue-free role under Soderbergh's direction in Haywire, her acting and screen presence were poor in Fast & Furious 6.
Old December 13 2013, 09:59 PM   #478
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
They're Amazon warriors. All they know is killin' and armored bustiers. Diplomacy's not their strong suit.
And the second penguin said "Maybe I am..."
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 12:45 AM   #479
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

They're Amazon warriors. All they know is killin' and armored bustiers. Diplomacy's not their strong suit.
They're on an island cut off from the world for two thousand years, who's there to be diplomatic with?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 12:48 AM   #480
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Bullshit. That was never the Amazons of Marston, or the rebooted world made by Perez. The current Amazons fit that, perhaps, but that is because the powers that be have decided to follow in a more Xena-like version of the Amazons which imagines them as the Greeks did, militant, man-hating and war happy. In short, a misogynistic vision of a world of women who are not docile and submissive.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote