USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 11 2013, 10:00 PM   #31
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: Wood Burning = Illegal

HoHoHocutus wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
Move somewhere less crowded if wood fires ETA: whenever you feel like it are that important to you.
No, because...

I mean don't get me wrong - I love a good wood fire, many fond fireplace memories. But, I live somewhere (relatively) rural; it's the price you pay.

Kestra wrote: View Post
What is that, Doctor Who or something?

Old December 11 2013, 10:02 PM   #32
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Kestrel got Kestrolled. Boom!
Old December 11 2013, 10:04 PM   #33
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 10:12 PM   #34
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Whoops.
Old December 11 2013, 10:27 PM   #35
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
I just general question things being banned that people typically can do in their own homes.
Like have sex with children?

Things get banned all the time. They have been since time immemorial.

If something you do is deemed to have a negative impact on society as a whole - be it burn wood or diddle a 4th grader, then society through its elected representatives will tell you to stop.

Why is this so difficult for Republicans to understand? You're free to do whatever stupid, inane, worthless thing you want to do as long as it doesn't interfere with others. If and when it does, then you have to stop it. Don't like it? Get people elected who will let you live in this libertarian wonderland that's never existed.
Old December 11 2013, 10:39 PM   #36
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Once again, you people seem to think I'm making a huge deal out of something when all I'm doing is bringing it up for discussion. I myself don't even have a fireplace in my apartment. I just general question things being banned that people typically can do in their own homes. Just because I bring something up does not equal me complaining. It's called starting a discussion.
But see, the thing is, it always comes across like it IS a huge deal. Misunderstandings can happen, but you have to reach a point where - if every time you do a certain thing, EVERYONE reacts to that thing in the same way, every time you do it - you gotta start looking at how you do that thing. The likelihood that this many people are all just reading way too much into your words over and over is extremely low.

On this particular topic: please.

This is the SF Bay Area. We are having nights that dip down into the low 30s, and we call that "unusually cold" for early December. My sister lives in Madison, Wisconsin. Know how cold it is there right now? FIVE degrees F.

Out of every region in this entire country, this is one of the places where it's least problematic to have a ban such as this. Heating even a large house to an acceptable degree is not overly costly or difficult, especially when combined with the fact that you can just add layers, which does a lot more for us than for people in places like Madison - we've gotten by with just wearing a sweater and turning our wall-mounted gas heater on for maybe 5-10 minutes every couple of hours at most. Unless, of course, you have no method of heating your household outside of a wood fire... in which case you are exempt!

Combine that with the fact that, as has been able demonstrated, the smoke from wood fires CAN negatively impact others, and I don't see any merit behind complaining about this regulation.

Solstice wrote: View Post
Saito S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 10:40 PM   #37
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Can they burn flags instead?
Old December 11 2013, 11:40 PM   #38
Robert D. Robot
Captain

I think this air quality problem is particularly bad in cities where the local geography forms a 'bowl' where the air can just sit stagnantly for weeks during different times of the year.
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 11:40 PM   #39
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Where I live they encourage you to get a wood burner. Practically everyone I know has one. I don't, can't be bothered, I just want to turn a knob and have heat. But on a cold day my whole street smells like woodsmoke from people's heaters.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 11:47 PM   #40
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

In Tasmania they are trying to encourage people to give up woodheaters because of the many health problems caused by woodheaters here. This is especially true of the city of Launceston because of the bowl effect there. However there are several Hobart suburbs where the air quality is bad during the winter because of woodsmoke.

It is such a problem that woodheaters are now being removed from government housing.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 12:45 AM   #41
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Solstice wrote: View Post
Sorry Kestrel! I was originally going to include asking if they finally got a doctor that wasn't white but I decided not to be quite that evil.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 12:47 AM   #42
sojourner
Admiral

Man, Flux is gonna go batshit when he learns that Vancouver outlawed doorknobs.
Old December 12 2013, 12:49 AM   #43
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
I think this air quality problem is particularly bad in cities where the local geography forms a 'bowl' where the air can just sit stagnantly for weeks during different times of the year.
Very true.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 01:05 AM   #44
J.T.B.
Commodore

This was in my local paper this morning:
Recent research suggests wood smoke, primarily from fireplaces, wood stoves and restaurant grills, plays a much larger role in the particulate problem than previously believed.

This is because of its high content of volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, which act as a precursor to particle formation, according to Kerry Kelly, a chemical engineer with the University of Utah.

"Compared with burning natural gas or gasoline, burning wood produces orders of magnitude more VOC, hundreds of thousands more VOC per unit of energy output," said Kelly, who serves on the Utah Air Quality Board.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 01:09 AM   #45
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
Very true.
That is exactly why Denver has had wood burning restrictions for decades.