Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 11 2013, 08:49 PM   #16
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Time Of The Doctor Trailer!

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
Maybe I'm judging too harshly, but this episode feels really depressing (based on the trailer) for Christmas night. Might be a good one to record and watch the next day. I hope it's not as depressing as the trailer showed.
I can't watch the Trailer until this evening when I get home.

It's funny to hear this comment though, since, once of the biggest complaints about the Christmas Specials is that they are "too happy" and "always having Feel Good Endings" (IE: The Widow, The Doctor and The TARDIS having the husband being saved in the end)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 08:50 PM   #17
Saul
Rear Admiral

Excited but episode kinda looks contained. I just imagined something bigger.

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Well, yes, the metaphor of a clock striking twelve, as in midnight, has been around for centuries. It was the S at the end that threw me.
That S is a crafty fellow indeed.
Old December 11 2013, 08:52 PM   #18
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Anyone understanding what the Doctor is shouting after the Dalek declares him regenerating?
I just can't make it out no matter how often I watch it.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 09:04 PM   #19
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Maybe I'm judging too harshly, but this episode feels really depressing (based on the trailer) for Christmas night. Might be a good one to record and watch the next day. I hope it's not as depressing as the trailer showed.

It's funny to hear this comment though, since, once of the biggest complaints about the Christmas Specials is that they are "too happy" and "always having Feel Good Endings" (IE: The Widow, The Doctor and The TARDIS having the husband being saved in the end)
I like that they have feel good endings. It's a Christmas Special afterall.
Old December 11 2013, 09:11 PM   #20
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

I like that they have feel good endings. It's a Christmas Special afterall.
Oh, I absolutely agree, and that's been my reply several times when someone has complained about a "trite" "Feel Good Ending" for a Christmas Special

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 09:21 PM   #21
Vyse
Lieutenant

Going to really miss Matt Smith, but also really excited to see Peter Capaldi in the role. Conflicting feelings, arghhh.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 09:21 PM   #22
Candlelight
Admiral

Well, I for one will be glad to see Matt go. I never warmed to him as a Time Lord. I think Capaldi's gonna be great in the role and bring some new blood to what's become fairly stale story telling. I only hope Moffat recognises that.

"The Doctor is regenerating"

Hell, normally it's a quiet family affair with just companions (or even alone) and usually after the adventure is over.

Maybe Matt won't "save the day" this time, and Capaldi will do it.
Old December 11 2013, 09:22 PM   #23
RoJoHen
Awesome

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Anyone understanding what the Doctor is shouting after the Dalek declares him regenerating?
"If you want my life, come and get it!"
Old December 11 2013, 10:03 PM   #24
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
"If you want my life, come and get it!"
Thanks, got it.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 10:21 PM   #25
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Pindar wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post

Ditto
It's always exciting to get a new Doctor though.
That is true.

And this is the first time since Christopher Eccleston was cast that I've known anything about the new actor to play the Doctor and that didn't really count since we knew nothing about what the revived show would be like. Matt and David were great but at the time I knew little about them or whether they were going to be good.

Whereas I know Capaldi is a great actor and, at the risk of tempting fate, is bound to be a great Doctor.
Completely agreed. Before I delved into DW, all I knew about it was that, the Doctor somehow changed his appearence, he was old and young, and Tom Baker. Seriously, huge scarf, curly hair - Doctor Who's image more than anything.

Beyond that, I'd known about the revival in '05 but didn''t check it until, well, fairly recently. But with all the talk about the anniversary this year, I thought I'd give it a try and start with '05, as many suggested that I do. And I did. And never looked back since. But, I digress.

I've known Christopher Eccleston as an actor when I first saw him in Jude, that Kate Winslet film he did back in 1996, and I thought he was absolutely, er, fantastic! I've followed him periodically in shows and such, especially Cracker, and I guess he kinda sealed the deal for me as far as DW is concerned. Beyond him, I'd no idea who the rest of the actors were, except maybe Tom Baker because his image was synonymous with OldWho. Peter Capaldi is thus the second actor that I've known outside of DW before he became the Doctor.

Rambling out.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 10:32 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Before I delved into DW, all I knew about it was that, the Doctor somehow changed his appearence, he was old and young, and Tom Baker.
Back in the '80s, I had a friend who was into a lot of SF and comics but not a Who viewer. I often talked to him about the show, and explained it to him, but when he first saw the cover of a book that showed the faces of all six or seven Doctors, he was surprised at how different they all looked. He'd known that the role had been recast multiple times, but he'd assumed they cast similar-looking actors.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 10:38 PM   #27
Mitty
Vice Admiral

I'm looking forward to it, but it would be nice if he totally wasn't expecting the Regeneration and it came as something of a shock. Eg He trips over something in the TARDIS, hits his head and "oh, bother".
Old December 11 2013, 10:49 PM   #28
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Carols by Candlelight wrote: View Post
Well, I for one will be glad to see Matt go.
I didn't really warm to Smith that much either. At least no where near as much as I did Tennant and Eccleston. He wasn't a bad doctor, but he wasn't overly good either. It's only until about the second half of series 7 I actually even begun to warm to his doctor.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 10:58 PM   #29
Vyse
Lieutenant

Just my opinion here, I do want to defend Matt Smith a bit, who has become my Doctor. I just love how weird, and eccentric his Doctor is, reminding us he is an extra terrestrial. While I like Tennant, he always seemed too human to me, and I didn't warm to him until series 3, I felt he was doing a bad imitation of Eccleston in series 2.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 10:59 PM   #30
RoJoHen
Awesome

Eccleston was my Doctor until Tennant came along. Tennant was my Doctor until Matt Smith came along. We'll just have to wait and see if Capaldi replaces Matt Smith as my Doctor this time around.