Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do fans want the prime timeline back?
I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back. 211 56.87%
I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back. 61 16.44%
I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back. 39 10.51%
I don't care, just give me Trek! 53 14.29%
I don't know. 7 1.89%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 10 2013, 04:57 PM   #916
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
The Apple probably holds some sort of record for killing redshirts--by explosive rock, poison thorn, lightning bolt, and being hit on the head with a club!

None of which stops Chekov from flirting with Landon the whole ep.

"Well, yes, four of our friends just died, but check out that moonlight. Romantic, isn't it?"
Hey, the mission must go on. They would have wanted it that way.

...well minus the whole death thing of course.
Old December 10 2013, 05:13 PM   #917
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

Can you imagine if TOS was made today, how much blood and gore would've been included in those death scenes? I always thought TOS was much darker and more violent than people today give it credit for.
Amen. And it's probably worth noting that several TOS writers were no strangers to dark themes:

Robert Bloch (Psycho), Richard Matheson (I am Legend, Hell House, etc.), Theodore Sturgeon (Some of Your Blood, "It"), Harlan Ellison (A Boy and His Dog, "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream," etc.), Norman Spinrad (Bug Jack Barron, The Iron Dream, etc.), Jerome Bixby ("It's a Good Life"). Heck, even Roddenberry dabbled in horror with Spectre.

No surprise that TOS did not shy away from horror elements.
Old December 10 2013, 05:32 PM   #918
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Yeah, that's that STAR FLEET training, for you, that lets you get back to life, without missing a beat, regardless of who dies. Unless, of course, it's one of the main cast. You know, say what you will of the TNG episode Skin of Evil, I love it how, during Bev's attempts to save Yar and the meeting afterwards, where everyone's talking over eachother, the crew doesn't just "get over it." And, of course, when Spock offers up his life in STAR TREK II, even Shatner emotes in an appropriate and memorable way -- SHATNER!!! But, yeah, if you're a nameless extra, or somebody we hardly, or don't even, know ... ehh ... shit happens. Whatcha gonna do ... ? You know? What can you do. Grab a hold of a hot member of the opposite sex and thank god you're alive like Chekov does, might be a good start, come to think of it.
Old December 10 2013, 05:52 PM   #919
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
You know? What can you do. Grab a hold of a hot member of the opposite sex and thank god you're alive like Chekov does, might be a good start, come to think of it.
I mock Chekov, but, you know, I have an autographed photo of Celeste Yarnall framed in my office, only a few feet away from where I'm typing this . . .
Old December 10 2013, 06:05 PM   #920
2takesfrakes
Commodore

You go, boy!
Old December 10 2013, 09:49 PM   #921
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

The Apple probably holds some sort of record for killing redshirts--by explosive rock, poison thorn, lightning bolt, and being hit on the head with a club!
And you notice this is the first time Kirk has another group of redshirts sent down after the first ones dies just to make sure they still have expendable crewmen around.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 10:22 PM   #922
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
And you notice this is the first time Kirk has another group of redshirts sent down after the first ones dies just to make sure they still have expendable crewmen around.
Well, yea, protection for the regulars and semi-regulars

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 05:18 PM   #923
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

JariM wrote: View Post
Blip wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Nothing in any of those clips is as gratuitous, unnecessary and disgusting as the end of "Conspiracy" where Picard and Riker destroy Remmick's head.

Gratuitous? Disgusting?? Those are hardly the terms I'd use. Hell, these days I'd hesitate to even use the word "graphic" to describe that scene.
Yes. Today it doesn't look like much but back in the day we didn't really see that stuff on television shows.
Actually, there was a lot worse on TV at the time. This was the same time Friday the 13th: The Series was airing and, only a few years later, Freddy's Nightmare's aired. These shows brought us some of the goriest scenes ever shown on television.
Old December 11 2013, 08:39 PM   #924
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
JariM wrote: View Post
Blip wrote: View Post

Gratuitous? Disgusting?? Those are hardly the terms I'd use. Hell, these days I'd hesitate to even use the word "graphic" to describe that scene.
Yes. Today it doesn't look like much but back in the day we didn't really see that stuff on television shows.
Actually, there was a lot worse on TV at the time. This was the same time Friday the 13th: The Series was airing and, only a few years later, Freddy's Nightmare's aired. These shows brought us some of the goriest scenes ever shown on television.
Plus, of course, SCANNERS was already out on VHS, which is kinda the gold-standard for exploding head scenes.
Old December 11 2013, 10:00 PM   #925
drt
Commander

You know? What can you do. Grab a hold of a hot member of the opposite sex and thank god you're alive like Chekov does, might be a good start, come to think of it.
I mock Chekov, but, you know, I have an autographed photo of Celeste Yarnall framed in my office, only a few feet away from where I'm typing this . . .
One of the things I liked about Landon was she could Kirk-fu it just like the boys.
drt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 10:03 PM   #926
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

drt wrote: View Post
One of the things I liked about Landon was she could Kirk-fu it just like the boys.
Yeah, for a few minutes there, she turns into Emma Peel!
Old December 13 2013, 01:07 AM   #927
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I looked up Yvonne Craig once, and found out that she, too, was in an Elvis Presley movie. Not that this is any selling point on me, his music is just ... well ... it was a Fifties Fad and that's cool. He should've left it at that, before he let himself bloat out in the Seventies and then die on the toilet. But I will give him this much credit: he definitely had an eye for the Ladies of Star Trek!
Old December 13 2013, 03:25 AM   #928
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I looked up Yvonne Craig once, and found out that she, too, was in an Elvis Presley movie.
The one about the World's Fair in Seattle, right? As I recall, she has a good dance routine near the beginning of the movie . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; December 13 2013 at 03:38 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 04:10 AM   #929
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

He should've left it at that, before he let himself bloat out in the Seventies and then die on the toilet.
Dude. That's the King of whom you speak. He appeared increasingly prosperous and died on his throne, thank you very much.
Old December 13 2013, 07:01 AM   #930
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

BigKrampus wrote: View Post
Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
My motivations are right on cue, they're just not what you and others can accept.
I don't care overmuch what your motivations are or aren't. I think you should just stop pretending you know anything about anyone else's when it's obvious that you don't.

If the people can't accept the current era, it's not my problem or anybody else's
Correct. In fact it's probably not something you should concern yourself about at all, since someone's not liking a thing you like isn't a personal judgment of you and you can in all probability learn to encounter it without being a giant vagina about things.

(If I judge correctly from your nick that you're a South African, think about it this way: if Madiba could manage reconciliation of a country on the verge of war, reconciliation with people who just happen to prefer the older versions of something you like should be a piece of cake. )
I'm from Canada, actually (I like the name because of its power) and what I said, still stands; these fans are treating the franchise as a religion, when it's just a TV show, and they are acting in a certain way that I find to be fanatical because of the new movies. Anybody else could see that and say that, but they haven't, so it might as well be me.

If they like the older shows, that's fine and good, but they have to realize that what they remember about it is a selective memory (and has been disproved by others here.) Star Trek is an action adventure show at its core, and for the current franchise runner(s) to deny this would be foolish and end up destroying it. Thankfully, they're not listening to these fans, and the franchise is doing right, and making new fans, not deluded ones stuck in the past who can't progress. As for the comparisions to Mandela, you're the one who's really reaching now.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote