RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,353
Posts: 5,445,904
Members: 24,968
Currently online: 422
Newest member: TrekkieKimber

TrekToday headlines

Kruge Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 10 2013, 09:41 PM   #901
BigSnake
Rear Admiral
 
BigSnake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

BillJ wrote: View Post
BigKrampus wrote: View Post
It's just one of many indicators that there's more fan dissatisfaction with STiD than with its predecessor.
What other indicators are there?
As I noted here, the increasing unwillingness of critics and reviewers to look past the kinds of flaws that STiD shared with ST09 would be a key one.

Teddy Borg wrote:
I could check in here daily and be confronted with at LEAST twenty, maybe thirty threads containing new bashing/defensive postings.
Interesting, that surprises me. From the reaction many here seem to have to criticism of STiD it seemed like dissent over NuTrek was a new development to them.

Anyway, I'll leave it there, M'Sharak is right to disprefer discussions about fandoms as a subject in itself.
__________________
Weasels rip BigJake's flesh!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen "Take me off" - The Stig
BigSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 09:44 PM   #902
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Some also seem to be working under the assumption that those that dislike the film now, will always dislike it. I was someone who wasn't exactly thrilled with Star Trek 2009 when it came out (I think Into Darkness is the better movie) and let people know it. I had to go back and re-evaluate what I thought was Star Trek before coming around. I found it enjoyable but didn't think it was "Star Trek".
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 09:48 PM   #903
BigSnake
Rear Admiral
 
BigSnake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

I do suspect that some of those currently willing to rate STID as worse than TFF will mellow out in due course. (As I suspect that the tendency toward over-praise of Abrams will correct itself out in the long term.)
__________________
Weasels rip BigJake's flesh!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen "Take me off" - The Stig
BigSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 10:23 PM   #904
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

BillJ wrote: View Post
It sounds more to me that some people are simply hoping beyond hope that they can convince the majority of people to hate the movie as much as they do.
...and vice versa. Where the majority of people side has yet to be determined.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 10:31 PM   #905
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
It sounds more to me that some people are simply hoping beyond hope that they can convince the majority of people to hate the movie as much as they do.
...and vice versa. Where the majority of people side has yet to be proven.
The majority of the viewing audience is clearly of the opinion that the Abrams films were good. The tendency of people to complain about something (anything--service at restaurants, quality of an item they've purchased, movies, books, TV shows, music, etc.) is well established to be 2 to 3 times greater than any tendency to praise something. Therefore, when you have a significant (actually overwhelming) majority of people signifying they liked the Abrams films at sites like Rotten Tomatoes (when they could just as well have voiced their displeasure), it is a solid indication that the films were…wait for it…very POPULAR with the MAJORITY of the audience. Particularly since those ratings are the result of hundreds of thousands of viewers across all demographics and not the 100 or so carefully cherry-picked "fans" at one convention.

This is not an indicator of artistic quality, artistic tastes, personal views about canon and so on--those are highly individualized (and an excellent reason why no one should try to "give the audience what they think they want", since few audiences of beyond, say, 3, can agree on "what they think they want"). However, the results of audience feedback on Rotten Tomatoes makes the Abrams' Trek films indisputably popular. No amount of cognitive dissonance can alter that fact.

Does it mean YOU have to like the movies? Certainly not. But let's not pretend that anything but a rather small portion of the viewing audience joined you in your dislike.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 10:43 PM   #906
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Ovation wrote: View Post
The majority of the viewing audience is clearly of the opinion that the Abrams films were good. The tendency of people to complain about something (anything--service at restaurants, quality of an item they've purchased, movies, books, TV shows, music, etc.) is well established to be 2 to 3 times greater than any tendency to praise something. Therefore, when you have a significant (actually overwhelming) majority of people signifying they liked the Abrams films at sites like Rotten Tomatoes (when they could just as well have voiced their displeasure), it is a solid indication that the films were…wait for it…very POPULAR with the MAJORITY of the audience. Particularly since those ratings are the result of hundreds of thousands of viewers across all demographics and not the 100 or so carefully cherry-picked "fans" at one convention.

This is not an indicator of artistic quality, artistic tastes, personal views about canon and so on--those are highly individualized (and an excellent reason why no one should try to "give the audience what they think they want", since few audiences of beyond, say, 3, can agree on "what they think they want"). However, the results of audience feedback on Rotten Tomatoes makes the Abrams' Trek films indisputably popular. No amount of cognitive dissonance can alter that fact.
Come now. What does the opinions of a couple hundred-thousand people mean when a hundred people get together and decide somethings a failure?
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 10:55 PM   #907
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Come now. What does the opinions of a couple hundred-thousand people mean when a hundred people get together and decide somethings a failure?
Well there was this one time that 56 guys got together in Philadelphia and decided that constitutional monarchy was a failure.

I don't know that they even think it's a failure so much as it's not what they wanted from Santa, and that's just their way of having a temper tantrum.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 10:57 PM   #908
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Come now. What does the opinions of a couple hundred-thousand people mean when a hundred people get together and decide somethings a failure?
Well there was this one time that 56 guys got together in Philadelphia and decided that constitutional monarchy was a failure.
As much as I love the United States, I'm sure that Native and African-Americans would be of the opinion that those fifty-six guys didn't get it right either.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 11:06 PM   #909
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Touché.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 12:34 AM   #910
BigSnake
Rear Admiral
 
BigSnake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

* looks regretfully over plan to conquer the North American continent, shelves it *
__________________
Weasels rip BigJake's flesh!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen "Take me off" - The Stig
BigSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 02:50 AM   #911
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote:
yes, including the alleged--note alleged--"rip off" of TWOK scene--it actually wasn't anything of the kind
What the hell is this supposed to even mean? Yes, it was a ripoff of TWOK. Stomping your feet and going "Is not!" doesn't change the objective reality.
Okay, and now: who gets to decide what is (or is not) the "objective reality"?
As with most things, the truth can be found hanging somewhere in the space between two extreme positions.

One extreme position says, "The entire film is a ripoff of TWOK!"

The other extreme position says, "Absolutely nothing in the film is a ripoff of TWOK!"

Of course, we inevitably get into the question of what constitutes a "ripoff". It sounds like a pejorative; it could be taken as implication that something scandalous has happened. Maybe that's why some don't want to use that term. At least it's been lampshaded in STID by references to how things "would have" turned out in the original timeline. But when you're actually reusing some lines of dialogue verbatim ( a fact which, hopefully, can be conceded by everyone ) and changing "Spock goes into reactor, dies, Kirk puts hand on glass" to "Kirk goes into reactor, dies, Spock puts hand on glass" - then it's pretty hard to credibly deny that some cutting-and-pasting has taken place.
__________________
Whatever happens on earth, that up there, that's the endgame.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 03:06 AM   #912
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Of course, we inevitably get into the question of what constitutes a "ripoff".
Nothing about that scene was stolen, cheated, swindled, copied, imitated, or exploited.

Borrowed, mirrored, homaged, reproduced? Certainly. But the semantic difference is significantly distinct beyond any implied connotation.

"Ripoff" is one of those words that is used way too often and conveniently to sour the grapes.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 03:18 AM   #913
Creepy Critter
Admiral
 
Creepy Critter's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Set Harth wrote: View Post
The other extreme position says, "Absolutely nothing in the film is a ripoff of TWOK!"
I don't consider the assertion that "Absolutely nothing in STID is a rip-off of TWOK" to be an extreme position. I consider it to be a statement of fact. One reason that I do, among others, is that TWOK and STID, both being Star Trek films, are two films in the same series. That alone makes it erroneous to characterize any intentional copying of elements from the former into the latter as a rip-off. The implication of the use of the term rip-off is that some sort of theft has occurred. That's simply impossible in this case.
__________________
CorporalCaptain
Creepy Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 07:58 AM   #914
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

BigKrampus wrote: View Post
I do suspect that some of those currently willing to rate STID as worse than TFF will mellow out in due course.
Anyone who thinks STID is a worse film than TFF needs to have their head examined.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 11:39 AM   #915
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Can't we just say that using Khan like they did in STID was a mistake?
Well I certainly wouldn't have used him at all, and would've used him differently, myself. Can't say it was a mistake, however. Just different from what I would have expected.

BigKrampus wrote: View Post
Did you... read the discussion earlier in this thread? Are you sure you mightn't benefit from giving it another quick look-see?
Just because you disagree with my conclusions doesn't mean the thread objectively disagrees with me as well.

Or perhaps you could specify how you disagree with me, rather than just imply it.

Yeah, that sounds like conspiracy theory to me.
A conspiracy of one ? Interesting use of the word.

Set Harth wrote: View Post
What the hell is this supposed to even mean? Yes, it was a ripoff of TWOK. Stomping your feet and going "Is not!" doesn't change the objective reality.
What objective reality ? It was a homage. Perhaps misguided, yes. But not a rip-off. That you didn't like it doesn't make your opinion "objective reality".

And we all know that things stop being true if they're not constantly mentioned every five minutes.
What's your point ? If you only had snark as a response, why make it ?
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.