RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,906
Posts: 5,330,855
Members: 24,558
Currently online: 562
Newest member: laurah2215

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 4 2013, 11:12 PM   #121
YellowSubmarine
Commodore
 
YellowSubmarine's Avatar
 
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

I just got an idea I fancy very much.

What if BBC secretly shot some open-ended footage with Tom Baker intended to be randomly discovered around the 100th anniversary that could be fit in any multi-doctor story?

We know that the Curator could never appear again, because if he is a future or the last Doctor, it makes no sense to feature him in any story (well, it might make some sense for Trenzalore, but other than that...) Unfortunately by the time any story involving him makes sense, he'll sadly no longer be among us. So it basically can't happen. We won't ever know his character is up to.

Unless BBC prepare with some footage beforehand.

(Obviously, won't happen, but the thought gives me a pleasant sensation)
__________________
R.I.P. Cadet James T. Kirk (-1651)
YellowSubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 01:47 AM   #122
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

Chrono85 wrote: View Post
I think he was a future Doctor who chose to regenerate into a body that was identical to that of his fourth incarnation. Maybe in the future, the Doctor finds a way to control the regeneration process.
I think under normal circumstances, a Time Lord can and does control the process. Look at Romana and the Covair.

It's just the Doctor seems to always needs to regenerate after some trauma that probably makes it impossible to control what happens.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 01:48 AM   #123
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral
 
P0sitr0nic's Avatar
 
Location: Jedi Council
Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

Or usually the Doctor doesnt care about appearance. I believe Moffet said that the Doctor, when regenerating, is like shopping off the rack. He simply takes what hes given.
__________________
If you're one of the meatheads constantly droning on about "take my country back"... GET OVER IT. The confederacy LOST.
P0sitr0nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 11:29 AM   #124
starburst
Fleet Captain
 
starburst's Avatar
 
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

Pretty sure if he had any control over it he would have been ginger...
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 02:01 PM   #125
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral
 
P0sitr0nic's Avatar
 
Location: Jedi Council
Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

Romana tried on like 3 or 4 looks when she regenerated. So we know its possible.
__________________
If you're one of the meatheads constantly droning on about "take my country back"... GET OVER IT. The confederacy LOST.
P0sitr0nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 04:09 PM   #126
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

starburst wrote: View Post
Pretty sure if he had any control over it he would have been ginger...
Although, if he cares so much about being ginger, why doesn't he just dye his hair?
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 05:28 PM   #127
marillion
Vice Admiral
 
marillion's Avatar
 
Location: Hangin' with Smokey Bear
View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
I just got an idea I fancy very much.

What if BBC secretly shot some open-ended footage with Tom Baker intended to be randomly discovered around the 100th anniversary that could be fit in any multi-doctor story?

We know that the Curator could never appear again, because if he is a future or the last Doctor, it makes no sense to feature him in any story (well, it might make some sense for Trenzalore, but other than that...) Unfortunately by the time any story involving him makes sense, he'll sadly no longer be among us. So it basically can't happen. We won't ever know his character is up to.

Unless BBC prepare with some footage beforehand.

(Obviously, won't happen, but the thought gives me a pleasant sensation)
At the risk of making your head explode, that's about the most bloody brilliant idea I've heard today... In 50 years, about the only one who might be around is Smith... Maaaaybe Tennent... But both would be far too old to really participate... But capturing them now with some generic but plausible sequences that could be written around... Plus some one-off "Happy 100th" promo shots with all the Doctors still currently with us... Might be a bit morbid for some, but I think that would be awesome...
__________________
Find a new way of life - www.marillion.com
marillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 07:32 PM   #128
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

^^Smith would be 81, which is only two years older than Tom Baker currently is, so he could very easily have a similar cameo in the 100th.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 09:25 PM   #129
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
In all curiosity, could the Curator eventually become the Watcher that the Fourth meets at the end of his life? The Moment would've been prepared, after all.
That was the most different regen ever on the series--the most special. There was also a 4th Doctor episode where he aged a great deal--you might make something from that too.

Or maybe, like the image of Rose, this was The Moment....
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 01:42 PM   #130
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral
 
FalTorPan's Avatar
 
Location: Out there... thataway.
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

publiusr wrote: View Post
Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
In all curiosity, could the Curator eventually become the Watcher that the Fourth meets at the end of his life? The Moment would've been prepared, after all.
That was the most different regen ever on the series--the most special. There was also a 4th Doctor episode where he aged a great deal--you might make something from that too.

Or maybe, like the image of Rose, this was The Moment....
Fourth Doctor: It's the end... but the moment has been prepared for.
__________________
Watch ASTRONUTS! Visit Trekplace! Check out my personal website!
FalTorPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 01:59 PM   #131
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

Arghhhh!!!!
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Oculus review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 06:07 AM   #132
Sketcher
Commander
 
Sketcher's Avatar
 
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

I really like the idea that the Curator was just the Moment in another guise. It had to go somewhere after the Doctors decided not to use it. Safest place would be in the Tardis. And it chose Rose/Bad Wolf because of how important and crucial she was to the Doctor after the war. I could see it taking on the appearance of one of the older incarnations, back when the Doctor was happier and secure in knowing his home was still out there.

But just as the Moment took its own spin on the whole Rose/Bad Wolf entity, it probably decided to alter the fourth Doctor and age him a bit. Just the right person the Doctor needed to see to motivate him in his search for Gallifrey.
Sketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 05:29 PM   #133
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

I like the idea that the Doctor, at the end of his many regenerations, opted for a secluded life on Earth, the planet he always had great affection for. IIRC, the novelisation of Shada has it that some Timelords settle down into some sort of role like this towards the end (in that book, Prof Chronotis, the Doctor's old mentor, is a don at a university). By then, the Doctor has mastered the art of controlling his appearance when regenerating and decides to revisit an 'old favourite.' And he decides to take up that role of Curator that Elizabeth I offered one of his old incarnations.

But like the 'Who knows?/Who Nose!' line, it's left with just enough ambiguity that if you choose to take another interpretation, your reading is just as likely to be correct as mine.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 07:49 PM   #134
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain
 
Emperor-Tiberius's Avatar
 
Location: Kavala, Greece
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I like the idea that the Doctor, at the end of his many regenerations, opted for a secluded life on Earth, the planet he always had great affection for. IIRC, the novelisation of Shada has it that some Timelords settle down into some sort of role like this towards the end (in that book, Prof Chronotis, the Doctor's old mentor, is a don at a university). By then, the Doctor has mastered the art of controlling his appearance when regenerating and decides to revisit an 'old favourite.' And he decides to take up that role of Curator that Elizabeth I offered one of his old incarnations.

But like the 'Who knows?/Who Nose!' line, it's left with just enough ambiguity that if you choose to take another interpretation, your reading is just as likely to be correct as mine.
Nice callback to Shada! Kinda makes sense, in that way.
__________________
"Spock...?" Kirk said, whispering.
"I am... most pleased to see again, Captain" Spock formally replied.
McCoy shook his head in disgust. "Oh, for crying out loud, Spock. Its been eighty years!"
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 04:16 PM   #135
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain
 
Emperor-Tiberius's Avatar
 
Location: Kavala, Greece
Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

So, here's some of the ideas, gathered:

*The Curator is the Moment, in disguise.
*The Curator really IS a Future Doctor, now a master of choosing a previous face of his.
*The Curator is the above, but at the same time, the same character as Tom Baker in JNT's version of Shada.
*The Curator is a splinter of the Fourth Doctor, who went on to live the rest of his life on Earth AS the Curator, before "regenerating" into the Watcher and reuniting with the real Fourth Doctor in the past.
*The Curator is the actual Fourth Doctor from an alternate universe.
*The Curator is the Nth Doctor - the Final Doctor.

Missing anything?
__________________
"Spock...?" Kirk said, whispering.
"I am... most pleased to see again, Captain" Spock formally replied.
McCoy shook his head in disgust. "Oh, for crying out loud, Spock. Its been eighty years!"
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.