Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 8 2013, 12:42 AM   #76
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I remember around the time of Smallville there were rumors circulating that WB was considering a Bruce Wayne TV show which would have chronicled the years Wayne went around the world learning to become Batman. I believe a pilot was written, but I can't be sure. If memory serves me correctly, it was suppose to be run by the showrunners of Smallville. Naturally, it was abandoned in favor of Batman Begins (which went on to explore Batman's origins).
Wiki has a good rundown on the proposed Bruce Wayne series here. And here's a detailed description of the pilot script.
Old December 8 2013, 12:58 AM   #77
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
I remember around the time of Smallville there were rumors circulating that WB was considering a Bruce Wayne TV show which would have chronicled the years Wayne went around the world learning to become Batman. I believe a pilot was written, but I can't be sure. If memory serves me correctly, it was suppose to be run by the showrunners of Smallville. Naturally, it was abandoned in favor of Batman Begins (which went on to explore Batman's origins).
Wiki has a good rundown on the proposed Bruce Wayne series here. And here's a detailed description of the pilot script.
Thank you for those links! It never occurred to me to actually dig up information on the would-be show. It all sounds very interesting, and probably would have been an entertaining show, but I'm glad it got canned and WB moved ahead with Batman Begins instead.
Old December 8 2013, 01:56 AM   #78
Christopher
Writer

Maybe OOMVM's links cover this, but the Bruce Wayne show came first; once they abandoned it due to Begins, they had Gough and Millar develop Smallville in its place.

This sounds somewhat similar - perhaps we follow a young Bruce Wayne while he trains and learns to become Batman, however I can see this not being the focus of the show. If Gordon is the focus, then we could have a sub-plot where young Bruce Wayne begins to move toward his destiny of becoming Batman, but it's something we don't follow all the time. That approach could be interesting.
If Bruce is starting out at ten years old, I really don't see his training being a major element. We might see some of the events that shaped his psyche and pushed him toward his future path, but the actual training period would be beyond the chronological scope of the series.

I'd love to see some supporting characters we've never seen in live-action before... such as Harvey Bullock, Renee Montoya, Crispus Allen, and so on and so forth. Perhaps even Loeb and Flass, if they are drawing from the Year One mold?
Loeb and Flass were in Batman Begins, played by Colin McFarlane and Mark Boone Junior, respectively.

I wonder who'd be good for Bullock. Robert Costanzo, his voice actor in B:TAS, would've been perfect for the character in live action back then, but he's in his early 70s now.

Although, this being the modern DC, they'll probably revamp him as a young, good-looking guy -- sort of like he was in Batman: Earth One.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 02:39 AM   #79
JD
Admiral

I'm pretty sure Loeb & Flass will be in the show, they seem to be a pretty regular part of Gordon and Batman's histories at this point.
Old December 8 2013, 08:20 PM   #80
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote:
Loeb and Flass were in Batman Begins, played by Colin McFarlane and Mark Boone Junior, respectively.
Loeb was also in The Dark Knight, where he was killed by the Joker.
Old December 9 2013, 09:45 PM   #81
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Christopher wrote: View Post
If Bruce is starting out at ten years old, I really don't see his training being a major element. We might see some of the events that shaped his psyche and pushed him toward his future path, but the actual training period would be beyond the chronological scope of the series.
It depends how long the series runs for. I'm not sure if we truly know when Bruce begins his training, but I always thought he started in his late teens/early 20's. Perhaps the show could skip a few years. Who knows. It would be interesting if at the end of the series Bruce decides to leave Gotham to pursue his training.

I'm aware. I was more so speaking for Montoya, Bullock and Allen.

I wonder who'd be good for Bullock. Robert Costanzo, his voice actor in B:TAS, would've been perfect for the character in live action back then, but he's in his early 70s now.
I always thought James Gandolfini would have been a great Bullock, but he's no longer with us now. John Goodman could be interesting. He's been known to do TV work in the past.
Old December 10 2013, 01:23 PM   #82
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Or any of the various heavy set guys who played Tony Soprano's underlings in The Sopranos?
Old December 10 2013, 02:08 PM   #83
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

I'm aware. I was more so speaking for Montoya, Bullock and Allen.
I always thought Montoya and Allen were contemporaries of Bruce, if not a little younger. I wouldn't expect to see them. That doesn't mean they don't come from cop families. We could see their mothers or fathers.

Bullock would be the same age as Gordon. So it's not like we would see the slovenly heavyset cop we know when Bruce is the Batman. The Bullock we get in this show could be in his prime, or just past his prime, maybe an Andy Sipowitz (of NYPD Blue) type.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper

Last edited by Vendikarr; December 10 2013 at 06:51 PM.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 04:32 PM   #84
Christopher
Writer

^You left in a stray "Christopher wrote" quote tag there. It's JacksonArcher being quoted.

Old December 10 2013, 06:51 PM   #85
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Christopher wrote: View Post
^You left in a stray "Christopher wrote" quote tag there. It's JacksonArcher being quoted.
Oops, sorry. Fixed it.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 01:32 PM   #86
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Bump! British director Danny Cannon, possibly best known for Stallone's Dredd, will return to the world of comic adaptations by directing the pilot of this show.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65650
Old January 8 2014, 01:39 PM   #87
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Bump! British director Danny Cannon, possibly best known for Stallone's Dredd, will return to the world of comic adaptations by directing the pilot of this show.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65650
Without Roy Scheider, err, Rob Schneider, he is good to go. That dude single handedly ruined Stallone's Dredd.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 02:37 PM   #88
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Whatever flaws Dredd may have had, I thought Cannon's direction was fine. Other than the early episodes of CSI which he directed, I haven't seen much of his work since.
Old January 13 2014, 10:43 PM   #89
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

TCA: Fox’s ‘Gotham’ Series Will Feature All Classic Batman Characters, Including Bruce Wayne
Old January 13 2014, 11:18 PM   #90
Christopher
Writer

Bruce starts out at 12 and puts on the cape in the finale? So either they expect the show to run for 13 years or more, or it's going to have some major time jumps, or they're going to borrow that Silver Age idea that teenage Bruce was the first Robin and adopted that persona to train under a master detective.

This is basically what Millar and Gough were going to do in their Bruce Wayne series before the movie-driven "Bat-embargo" required them to abandon the idea and do Smallville instead. But that was supposed to be about Bruce as a twentysomething adult, I believe, much like Arrow's Oliver Queen. If they are focusing on his teen years, that makes it even more like Smallville.

The statement is unclear on whether Gordon will still be the lead character, whether Bruce's story is the core plot or an ongoing subplot. And what the hell is that turn of phrase, "an operatic soap?" "Soap" is short for "soap opera" to begin with, so that's kind of a tautology.