CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 10 2013, 11:02 AM   #1
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Capaldi's previous roles in DW and TW won't be ignored

This may be old news but I'm sharing it anyway.
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldi...ored-53407.htm

I am eager the explanation and or mystery that RTD and Moffat came up with to explain the 3 characters who share Capaldi's likeness in the Whoinverse .

The 3 characters are
Lucius Caecilius Iucundu from Doctor Who "The Fires of Pompeii

John Frobisher from the Torchwood mini series Children of Earth

and the 12th Doctor
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Capaldi's previous roles in DW and TW won't be ignored

I'm wonderind why they're even bothering - it's not like he's the first Doctor to have appeared in the show previous to becoming the Doctor. What's the point of it other than being a smartarse?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 11:51 AM   #3
DeadmeatDiggory
Commander

So the Doctor killed his wife, children, and himself in Children of Earth..? Can't wait to find out what BS Moffat comes up with to explain this.
Old December 10 2013, 12:02 PM   #4
The Haunting
Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I'm wonderind why they're even bothering - it's not like he's the first Doctor to have appeared in the show previous to becoming the Doctor. What's the point of it other than being a smartarse?
I agree, really there’s no point to it. There are only so many faces in the Universe and the Doctor’s bound to end up looking like people who’ve existed elsewhere at some point (take Salamander). If you want to acknowledge it, fine, just make an off the cuff statement that people he encounters seep into his unconscious, and sometimes it can manifest itself when he regenerates. It handily explains Colin Baker as well. It doesn’t need anything beyond that, especially given that the Doctor and (Capaldi not penguin) Frobisher never met.

DeadmeatDiggory wrote: View Post
So the Doctor killed his wife, children, and himself in Children of Earth..? Can't wait to find out what BS Moffat comes up with to explain this.
Remember it'll likely be some of RTD's bullshit as well!

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Tosk
Rear Admiral

They've already introduced "spatial genetic multiplicity", so why not just go with that? Or better yet, don't bother explaining it at all.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 01:28 PM   #6
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

The Doctor has to jump into the timelines of all his former companions to right what once went wrong and got split into billion pieces of himself scattered throughout time and space living many lives... oh wait!
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 01:33 PM   #7
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Starkers wrote: View Post
If you want to acknowledge it, fine, just make an off the cuff statement that people he encounters seep into his unconscious, and sometimes it can manifest itself when he regenerates.
It's probably going to be something like that, in my opinion.
Old December 10 2013, 02:48 PM   #8
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
If you want to acknowledge it, fine, just make an off the cuff statement that people he encounters seep into his unconscious, and sometimes it can manifest itself when he regenerates.
It's probably going to be something like that, in my opinion.
That wouldn't explain why Frobisher looked like Caelcilius
Old December 10 2013, 02:58 PM   #9
diankra
Commodore

I'm with lonemagpie: it's an awful big universe, and there's only so many faces out there. Even with the limited number of people ordinary folks like us meet in our ordinary lives, once you get past thirty-ish you've met enough people for it to be increasingly common for people to remind you of someone you used to know. For someone like the Doctor who's meeting new people every landing, it must be normal life.
If anything, what bothers me is when it happens in the likes of Lewis and Midsomer Murders; you're a professional detective, Lewis, who could instantly spot that someone was living under an assumed identity as you recognised their face last week, yet now you don't notice that the woman in your current case was the accomplice in the case that killed Morse? (Sorry, spoiler!) ;-)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

I tried to watch the interview but found it too annoying.

I didn't take anything from I did watch as being fact though.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

RTD revealed his "big old plan" about Caecilius and Frobisher on the featurette for the Children of Earth DVD. It was just that Frobisher was a descendent of Caecilius, and the murder/sucide was the timeline finally "correcting" the Doctor's rescue of the family from the fixed point of their destruction. God knows how he and Moffat are going to work the new Doctor into that. I can't say I see the point of any of it, but it'll probably be a throwaway line like Martha's cousin, so who cares? Maybe they can work the soothsayer and Amy Pond into it as well.
Old December 10 2013, 04:29 PM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
RTD revealed his "big old plan" about Caecilius and Frobisher on the featurette for the Children of Earth DVD. It was just that Frobisher was a descendent of Caecilius, and the murder/sucide was the timeline finally "correcting" the Doctor's rescue of the family from the fixed point of their destruction.
It takes a couple of thousand years for the Timeline to correct itself? Couldn't Time Itself arrange for Caecilius and his family to get in a horrible accident on their way to Rome and be done with it? After all, Time Itself wasted no, well, time, correcting Adelaide's survival in Waters of Mars.
Old December 10 2013, 04:34 PM   #13
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

It also defeats the point of the whole episode if the Doctor couldn', or shouldn't have saved someone at all.

I thought that this was supposed to be his "reward" for letting history play itself out, by having this one simple act of mercy be possible.
Old December 10 2013, 04:35 PM   #14
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Well, yes, and it's also unlikely that Martha Jones and Adeola Oshodi were, like Patty and Cathy Lane, identical cousins. Which is why I think it's silly to do this sort of thing, but there's a mindset among certain fans (some of whom make the show) that it's worth addressing. At least we we spared having the Caecilius/Frobisher thing mentioned onscreen... until now, apparently.
Old December 10 2013, 08:27 PM   #15
Evil Headhunter
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Evil Headhunter Send a message via AIM to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Yahoo to Evil Headhunter

As much as I still don't like this idea, I just had a thought: Perhaps Moffat is going to try to bring back Captain Jack Harkness to tie in with the Frobisher aspect. I would be interested in seeing both Jack's reaction to The Doctor's newest appearance and finally seeing The Doctor's reaction to the events of Children of Earth.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Evil Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote