Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 9 2013, 10:17 PM   #16
_C_
Commander

Re: No split season for Capaldi

Peter Capaldi has those beautiful blue eyes. I'm sure he will make epic use of them the same way Rene Auberjonois used his eyes as Odo. He is one of those men who seems to get sexier as he ages. Kind of like Sean Connery and Patrick Stewart.

Plus, Capaldi has a smile that takes years off his face and he has the most adorable boyish laugh. Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5zhExXiL8A

I suspect they chose an older actor for the next Doctor because they want him to be more in that fatherly figure role again.
Old December 9 2013, 10:38 PM   #17
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
opposite way round for me - the season 6 split totally fucked the season, so although I enjoyed the episodes individually I hated the season.
I agree with this. Moffat didn't know how to pace the two halves. He should have approached it with a "I'm doing two Jekyll series in oine go." Instead, he approached it with an "I'm doing series 5 but with a split in the middle," and he split it with the wrong cliffhanger. (Amy turning to goo was the "Oh, fuck!" cliffhanger. The Doctor buggering off after he realizes who River is was anticlimax.) As a result series 6 is rather less than the sum of its parts.

The season 7 split worked well, basically making two shorter seasons that both worked, without fucking up the ongoing arc/development in the middle.
Also agreed. Series Pond was a totally different thing from Series Oswald. They worked independently of one another (as series 6 should have) and didn't depend on one another.

The Ponds staying too long is a totally different matter - they should have been gone as of the end of season 6, and bringing them back really just fucked up the effect of the developments they'd undergone.
I think the actors would agree with you; it's whispered that Arthur Darvill did not want to return for Series Pond and only did for contractual reasons. I've sometimes wondered if Series Pond was an inducement to get Smith to stay. He clearly got on well with Arthur and Karen, and even though he got on well with Jenna his relationship with her wasn't the same.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 11:07 PM   #18
Lonemagpie
Writer

The Ponds leaving at the end of The Girl Who Waited is just the perfect end for them. I can see why they'd have the cameo in Closing Time (so they'd still be listed in the Radio Times and therefore their effective departure in the previous episode would be a more successful surprise) and they sort of still had to be in TWORS albeit as a mix of reprising the openener, and alternate versions of themselves, but...

Bringing them back for series 7 was totally unnecessary and undermined it all.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 11:46 PM   #19
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

The problem is at the end of Series 6 and then Series 7, the Doctor has no companion. First, it's Amy & Rory he picks up for an adventure now and then, then it's Clara. That's not how the Doctor works. Also, his angst for "losing" the Ponds was silly. He lives soooo long. He has to know and accept that his companions don't.
Old December 10 2013, 12:06 AM   #20
RoJoHen
Awesome

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
He lives soooo long. He has to know and accept that his companions don't.
Except the Ponds were far more than his normal companions. They were his family. By the end of it, Amy and Rory had pretty much become his adopted parents (age differences notwithstanding), and then they were ripped out of his life. I thought his angst was perfectly justified in this instance.
Old December 10 2013, 04:01 AM   #21
The Wormhole
Admiral

The Ponds leaving at the end of The Girl Who Waited is just the perfect end for them. I can see why they'd have the cameo in Closing Time (so they'd still be listed in the Radio Times and therefore their effective departure in the previous episode would be a more successful surprise) and they sort of still had to be in TWORS albeit as a mix of reprising the openener, and alternate versions of themselves, but...

Bringing them back for series 7 was totally unnecessary and undermined it all.
It was The God Complex where they left, actually. But yeah, I agree in full, that was the best way to leave them. They're done with their TARDIS travels and are living happily ever after. Instead, in the end they're left stranded in the past to live out the rest of their lives, which we know they have since we saw their grave saying they lived into their 80s. Worse, there are probably a dozen ways the Doctor could have saved them but didn't with no reason given.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Photoman15 wrote: View Post
He lives soooo long. He has to know and accept that his companions don't.
Except the Ponds were far more than his normal companions. They were his family. By the end of it, Amy and Rory had pretty much become his adopted parents (age differences notwithstanding), and then they were ripped out of his life. I thought his angst was perfectly justified in this instance.
True, they really were his in-laws. I can understand going into the kind of depression he did after losing them.
Old December 10 2013, 10:11 AM   #22
Starkers
Admiral

Frankly, all the fangirls I know on Tumblr and in reality are more than happy with Capaldi's casting, and reckon he's an older bloke they can all fancy... So I doubt there'll be much in the way of defections.
Frankly, all the fangirls I know on Tumblr and in reality are more than happy with Capaldi's casting, and reckon he's an older bloke they can all fancy... So I doubt there'll be much in the way of defections.
Just to be clear, when I said defect I meant some fan girls would defect from fancying Smith to fancying Capaldi, not that they'd defect from the show, but I realise now that I didn't word that very well! I think Capaldi is going to have a lot of female (and male) fans in that respect.

As for the Smith series, I can see what people mean about series 6, but I really like it, especially the second half (frankly Night Terrors is the only one I dislike). I watched Let's Kill Hitler the other day, and whilst it is all over the place there's a totally bonkers energy to it that I can't help but love.

I loved Amy and Rory, but do agree that they shouldn't have come back for series 7, their story had effectively ended and they could have been left with a happy ever after. I realise there was an element of making their departure permanant, but again I don't see this was neccesary really and it is a bit of a problem the new series has, no companion aside from Martha (and excluding the irregular Rivers and Jacks) ever really leaves the Doctor without some contrivance to ensure they can never come back. Rose had to be trapped in another universe, Donna had to have her memory wiped, Amy and Rory had to be trapped in the past...whilst the classic series was sometimes a bit blase about companions leaving, people did just come and go and there was never the feeling that people would travel with the Doctor forever, like there is now.

I can see it working with some companions, Rose maybe, but on the whole I prefer to see travelling with the Doctor as being the equivilent to going backpacking in South America or something, it's the adventure you have before you settle down.It must get wearing after a time, even if you accept that it isn't constant battles against evil, those are just the bits we see, you can imagine people tiring of it and wanting to either return home, or put some roots down somewhere.

Back to the Smith series I have to say 7B was the weakest for me. Having the Ponds back for 7A might have been pointless, but it was a good run of episodes (A Town Called MErcy excluded) whereas 7B was poor for me, aside from Gatiss' great episodes and ultimately redeemed by the wonderful Name of the Doctor.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 11:49 AM   #23
Lonemagpie
Writer

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
It was The God Complex where they left, actually.
So it was, yeah. I forgot that one.

But yeah, I agree in full, that was the best way to leave them. They're done with their TARDIS travels and are living happily ever after. Instead, in the end they're left stranded in the past to live out the rest of their lives, which we know they have since we saw their grave saying they lived into their 80s. Worse, there are probably a dozen ways the Doctor could have saved them but didn't with no reason given.
Yeah, that was cringeworthy - the TARDIS can't return to 1930s NYC, so what? There were fucking transatlantic ships and planes even then, but I dunno, Moffat probably thinks nobody will remember that, you know, there's transport on Earth. Trying too hard to be a smartarse, that's what it is.

Old December 10 2013, 01:29 PM   #24
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Yeah, that was cringeworthy - the TARDIS can't return to 1930s NYC, so what? There were fucking transatlantic ships and planes even then
"New York would still burn", said Moffat, addressing this very issue.

Source.
Old December 10 2013, 02:33 PM   #25
Lonemagpie
Writer

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Yeah, that was cringeworthy - the TARDIS can't return to 1930s NYC, so what? There were fucking transatlantic ships and planes even then
"New York would still burn", said Moffat, addressing this very issue.

Source.
"Bullshit" said me.

Old December 10 2013, 03:19 PM   #26
Starkers
Admiral

Meh, no different to "Why didn't you go back and save Adric?" if you ask me
Old December 10 2013, 04:34 PM   #27
The Wormhole
Admiral

Yeah, that was cringeworthy - the TARDIS can't return to 1930s NYC, so what? There were fucking transatlantic ships and planes even then, but I dunno, Moffat probably thinks nobody will remember that, you know, there's transport on Earth. Trying too hard to be a smartarse, that's what it is.
I was thinking even simpler. Why not just park the TARDIS a few years early and wait for the Ponds to show up?
Old December 10 2013, 05:01 PM   #28
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

"Bullshit" said me.
Which is not entirely surprising, to be perfectly honest.
Old December 10 2013, 05:50 PM   #29
Lonemagpie
Writer

Starkers wrote: View Post
Meh, no different to "Why didn't you go back and save Adric?" if you ask me
"because I'd been trying to get rid of the useless dick for months, and am having a hard time not laughing in front of the girls."

Old December 10 2013, 08:35 PM   #30
Starkers
Admiral