Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 8 2013, 03:16 AM   #466
JD
Admiral

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Nice. I love her on Revenge, so I'm really looking forward to seeing her in Winter Soldier. I wonder if she'll wear anything like her comic book outfit in other parts of the movie?
Old December 9 2013, 01:43 AM   #467
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
You know, I think I would not be interested in seeing a Civil War adaptation. Sure, okay, the issues of security vs. freedom are worth exploring in this day and age, but I really have seen enough of heroes fighting heroes. I can buy the idea of heroes initially being at odds due to a misunderstanding or difference of priorities, but ultimately their shared commitment to heroic principles should enable them to move beyond that and realize they need to work together. What was cool about The Avengers wasn't, for instance, seeing Tony and Steve bickering; it was seeing them instantly put their differences aside and work together the moment danger struck and lives were at stake.

And I agree, it really is hard to see Tony Stark buying into the government's pro-registration line, especially in the extremes to which it was taken. That felt out of character to me. I recall there was a lot of inconsistent characterization in and around the Civil War event due to all the different writers not being on the same page. It seemed that characters were forced into actions and attitudes that they'd be unlikely to support just in order to drive the story. That's not something I want to see in the movies.
From what i remember about it Stark thought he would be best to control it from within to curtail the more extreme calls for measure, it was about the same reasoning Reed Richards had for joining the Pro-Registration camp (including directly borrowing from Asimovs Foundation with Psychohistory.. though i have lost track on how that storyline progressed).

Now obviously having heroes become defacto villains will lead to out of character behaviour and thus the whole storyline was flawed from the beginning but nevertheless i found it to be an exciting read and some one shots or side-storylines were truly great (i remember one issue where shortly before it really heats up Cap and Steve meet in the destroyed Avengers Mansion to try to find common ground and remembering the good old days) but what was best for me was the public discussion about the general theme of it.

You could easily discern where someone stood in real life on very important real life issues like civil rights, moral rights, law and the general state of society and that for that Civil War was a very good mirror for us (even if the execution was flawed).

I'm very curious to see how the movie develops and what comes out of the concerns Cap has about Shield (he already got a first glimpse in Avengers when he alongside Tony Stark uncovered the secret project). I have said it already but this is what is great about the Captain America character.. he is just so painfully black and white.. he doesn't do compromise on essential issues for the greater good. If something is wrong it is wrong.. period and you won't change his mind or even soften him uo.

I hope this comes through in the movie and it won't be a simple slugfest between him and the Winter Soldier (though them going hand to hand in the trailer was pure awesome!).
Old December 9 2013, 04:55 AM   #468
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

I have read this thread starting from the day of the new trailer. No one has talked about Cap jumping out of an aircraft without a parachute. I am certainly no expert on Captain America and I would like to know how Cap is able to do this. Does his shield act as a parachute?
Old December 9 2013, 05:29 AM   #469
Christopher
Writer

^Cap did need a parachute in both his previous films. So the circumstances in that scene in the trailer must be different somehow. But we won't know until we see the film, unless it's given away in one of the later trailers or commercials.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 07:05 PM   #470
Blip
Fleet Captain

If I remember rightly he withstood the impact of Mjolnir against his shield in Avengers, so I guess a water impact shield-first isn't much different. *shrugs*
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 07:16 PM   #471
Christopher
Writer

Blip wrote: View Post
If I remember rightly he withstood the impact of Mjolnir against his shield in Avengers, so I guess a water impact shield-first isn't much different. *shrugs*
Good thought. Since the shield is made of a vibranium alloy, it should absorb the force of impact without transmitting it to Cap's arms/body.

Even so, though, I'd think he'd still be decelerated rather quickly from a fall into water at terminal velocity. So he'd still be feeling a lot of g-forces with or without the shield. But maybe the impact would be diminished enough that it would be survivable for his supersoldier anatomy.

Old December 9 2013, 07:27 PM   #472
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I seem to remember reading a comic where Cap jumped out of an airplane, landed feet first on his shield, which absorbed the impact, and then he just dropped and rolled away any momentum.
Old December 9 2013, 08:15 PM   #473
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Maybe he gets his shield under his feet just before he hits the water and surfs the rest of the way to wherever they're going.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 05:31 AM   #474
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Maybe Cap has a flying apparatus of some sort, like the equipment Falcon will use in the film.
Old December 10 2013, 09:59 PM   #475
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Maybe we should just roll with it....he's Cap. Maybe?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 12:20 AM   #476
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
Maybe he gets his shield under his feet just before he hits the water and surfs the rest of the way to wherever they're going.
While shooting bad guys alongside?

Nah.. that would look too dumb and ridiculous on film.

Oh wait..
Old December 12 2013, 12:54 AM   #477
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

They'd have to play "California Girls" during that sequence.

FWIW, we learned something new about the MCU Cap on this week's Agents of SHIELD...apparently he holds SHIELD's record for bulldozer-pushing. Didn't think he was supposed to be that strong, but whatever....
Old December 12 2013, 02:12 AM   #478
Christopher
Writer

I think it was clear from The Avengers that MCU Cap was stronger than comics Cap. He forced open a door on the Helicarrier and jumped up a whole story to a catwalk. That's a bit beyond peak human.

Old December 12 2013, 04:04 AM   #479
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Yea SHEILD is awesome the only way to test strength is push a bulldozer and do it enough that someone records the time it took.....lame in both concept and execution.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 04:24 AM   #480
Christopher
Writer

It's not like this was a scientific measurement. It was part of Mike's training. The timings were for his benefit, to gauge whether his performance was improving. It's the same as training for any sport or physical activity -- you do it over and over and try to get better. And given how few superstrong people there currently are on Earth in the MCU, it stands to reason that their strength-training equipment for the superstrong would be kind of makeshift. So I don't see the problem.