RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,663
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 458
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do fans want the prime timeline back?
I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back. 196 56.32%
I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back. 57 16.38%
I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back. 38 10.92%
I don't care, just give me Trek! 51 14.66%
I don't know. 6 1.72%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 8 2013, 06:10 PM   #811
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I miss Berman Trek. The 24th century was the best.
I'm more of a 23rd Century guy myself, but I suspect that's just a generational thing. I grew up on TOS, not the later shows, so it's still near and dear to my heart.
Old December 8 2013, 07:29 PM   #812
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I love all eras of ST, but being a child of the 80s, the 24th century is my favorite era.
Old December 8 2013, 07:58 PM   #813
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I'm more of a 23rd Century guy myself, but I suspect that's just a generational thing. I grew up on TOS, not the later shows, so it's still near and dear to my heart.
Nah, I like the 23rd Century the most and I'm 25.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 08:31 PM   #814
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Nah, I like the 23rd Century the most and I'm 25.
I stand corrected!

(Cool avatar, btw.)
Old December 8 2013, 09:14 PM   #815
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I grew up with TNG and loved it to bits, but as I've aged I found myself liking it less and less - to the point where I quit halfway through re-watch (having previously rewatched and mostly enjoyed TOS, ENT and Voyager). Now TOS is definitely #1. I'm 29.
Old December 8 2013, 09:22 PM   #816
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Bearded Bloke wrote: View Post
Just to reiterate, Prime Trek doesn't mean Berman Trek.
Since 75% of Prime Trek was made under Berman's watch, it does mean Berman Trek.
Regardless of how much of it was under Berman's watch, Prime Trek includes TOS and it's movies.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 09:27 PM   #817
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Just to reiterate, Prime Trek doesn't mean Berman Trek.
Since 75% of Prime Trek was made under Berman's watch, it does mean Berman Trek.
Regardless of how much of it was under Berman's watch, Prime Trek includes TOS and it's movies.
Agreed. But I wouldn't even go that far. The movies, to me, were rebooting Trek for a modern audience using TOS as the source material, the same as Abrams' films.

But Bill's right in that most of the people on this board who use the term "Prime Trek" actually mean Berman Trek.
Old December 8 2013, 09:29 PM   #818
Admiral

That's exactly why "prime universe" isn't a good way to differentiate. It's just a bit of backstory. TOS was different in style to TNG. DS9, VOY and ENT are arguably much closer to TNG's storytelling style than TOS'. TMP and TWoK-TUC have very different styles too, but closer to TOS' than TNG's.
Old December 8 2013, 09:51 PM   #819
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I usually refer to the Berman-era material as Modern Trek. But I think many people do use a Prime Universe as shorthand for the Berman stuff.
Old December 8 2013, 09:55 PM   #820
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I usually refer to the Berman-era material as Modern Trek. But I think many people do use a Prime Universe as shorthand for the Berman stuff.
I assume that's what the thread starter meant with his poll, though I can't be sure. The implication, of course, is that Berman Trek (as "prime" Trek) is somehow more "real" than JJ Abrams Trek.
Old December 8 2013, 10:01 PM   #821
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I assume that's what the thread starter meant with his poll, though I can't be sure. The implication, of course, is that Berman Trek (as "prime" Trek) is somehow more "real" than JJ Abrams Trek.
I think some want to count TOS, but don't want any new Trek to be anything like it, too validate the Berman series.
Old December 8 2013, 10:13 PM   #822
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I did but the poll still applies that notion.

Berman Trek = Prime Trek

But

Prime Trek =/= Berman Trek

You could want the Prime Timeline back but not want Berman's style. If someone likes an apple, he likes fruit but a person who likes fruits doesn't necessarily have to like apples.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 01:10 AM   #823
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I don't think it's a generational thing. I grew up on TOS as well, but the 24th century shows are more to my liking. I prefer character driven drama over science fiction. TOS is a show about science fiction concepts and is very light on characterization. On the other hand, the 24th century shows are about the characters. The plots exist to develop the characters or put them through situations to see how they react. "The Inner Light" wasn't about a society facing its last days; it was about Picard experiencing the life that he gave up for his career.

As for TOS, I do love the few character driven episodes such as "Journey to Babel", "The Doomsday Machine", "Balance of Terror", "The City on the Edge of Forever", etc. However, everything else is close to unwatchable for me.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 01:37 AM   #824
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

29 and will take TOS (Roddenberry or Abrams) over the Berman era anyday.
Old December 9 2013, 02:04 AM   #825
Admiral

I don't think it's a generational thing. I grew up on TOS as well, but the 24th century shows are more to my liking. I prefer character driven drama over science fiction. TOS is a show about science fiction concepts and is very light on characterization. On the other hand, the 24th century shows are about the characters. The plots exist to develop the characters or put them through situations to see how they react. "The Inner Light" wasn't about a society facing its last days; it was about Picard experiencing the life that he gave up for his career.
That's about the exact opposite of my interpretation. I see TOS as being about the characters first. Them and their interactions keep me watching even through the worst episodes. I think David Gerrold once called it a buddy cop show in space pretending to be sci-fi.
TNG I see as a group of unrelatable, unrealistic and ultra-PC characters going through far less colourful adventures.