RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 579
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old December 5 2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

The 2015 Mustang: Fifty Years On

I'm a Ford man through and through and I recognize the Mustang's influence on American culture as the road car for the rebellious roads. It's America on four wheels and now we have a certainly controversial 2015 redesign.

The new Mustang is supposed to have a turbocharged four-banger that's supposed to make more than the current V6's 306 horsepower. A turbo four in a Mustang sounds like a horrible idea, but it isn't. Instead it's a realization that the Mustang must be more than a muscle car, it has to be a performance machine that should be taken seriously by the world, not just muscle car enthusiasts.

It's design is a matter of opinion, some love it for being sleek and modern, definitely following Ford's push to create sexy cars, while others bemoan it's similarities with the new Fusion and Aston Martins.

This is a car that will get a lot of attention in the coming months, it's success will be perhaps the largest trophy in the Ford lineup, finally offering a Mustang that can be thrown into curves in comfort and confidence. But it's failure will be the greatest setback American cars since the Mustang II.

So for your viewing pleasure, I present the new 2015 Ford Mustang. Fifty years strong.
Old December 6 2013, 02:50 AM   #2
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: The 2015 Mustang: Fifty Years On

It's actually not that much of a departure compared to the proposed concept which looked a lot more like an angry Aston Martin. This feels more like a natural progression to the last big revision of the Mustang. The biggest difference are the slender headlights and the rear suspension and the new chassis.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 03:19 AM   #3
sojourner
Vice Admiral

From what I understand, the v6 and v8 will still be options. As far as the looks this isn't bad. I was hoping it would look a little less slab sided and the tail looks overly large. The greenhouse looks like it's meant for a smaller car. The proportions seem off. I think the car would look stunning in Metallic colors instead of that plastic look. A classic metallic blue would rock.
Old December 6 2013, 08:23 AM   #4
scotpens
Vice Admiral

The rear is definitely an improvement over the heavy, clunky-looking back end of the current model, while the front hasn't been changed that much.

I still like the Mustang II concept car, which was the basis for the original production Mustang in 1964. Now, that car is gorgeous.

Old December 6 2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Not as bad looking as that chopped-rear end idea that was floating around a while back.

It harkens back to the old fastback models of the late 60's and the (finally) inclusion of a rear suspension not used on the Model-T should make it a better handling car.

That said, I'm not a Ford guy, never owned one and never will. I would have loved a classic Mustang, I always had a thing for the 1973 Mustang Grande & Boss models.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 11:26 PM   #6
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

New power numbers for the four banger are in:

The company went with a 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine for the new Mustang, and it comes with more power and more tech than found in previous Mustang four-pots. It makes 305 hp, the same as the current 3.7-liter V6, but more torque, coming in at 300 lb-ft, besting the V6's 280. This means that the smallest available engine size-wise will likely be positioned as an upgrade for the Mustang. Ford went with a twin-scroll, low-inertia turbocharger, a setup designed to provide minimal turbo lag and better throttle response. The internals have also been beefed up to help cope with the extra power. The engine gets a forged-steel crankshaft, piston-cooling jets, forged connecting rods, and a host of other goodies.
Old December 6 2013, 11:54 PM   #7
publiusr
Commodore

I'm a square--i loved the Ford LTD myself...
The LTD II was close to a muscle car though...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_LTD_II

My Dad turned a Dodge Matador into an el Camino style truck--with the fins, it looked a bit like the Batmobile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Matador
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Warped9
Admiral

It's lost a lot of its character. But maybe it will look better in person than how it looks in pictures.
Old December 8 2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Yup, the angle used for the photo looks a little too...generic.
Old December 8 2013, 04:05 PM   #10
Warped9
Admiral

The front end looks more Taurus like and the roofline, particularly as it goes back, looks weak (for lack of a better word).

I understand the challenge of redesigning an iconic look. The current Mustang is unmistakable and connects directly back to its origins from the '60s to the early '70s. The Mustang II's of the mid '70s were horrible Pinto like cars and what followed wasn't much better although they did improve. The generation immediately preceding what we have now looked more like Toyotas.

This new look seems a bit too generic and Toyota like (to me), on the outside anyway. The inside seems fine.

Seems to me some of the other concepts or possibilities considered worked better visually than what they appeared to have decided on.Just google 2014 or 2015 Ford Mustang in images and you can see some variations.
Old December 8 2013, 05:57 PM   #11
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
. . . The Mustang II's of the mid '70s were horrible Pinto like cars and what followed wasn't much better although they did improve.
The resemblance of the second-generation Mustang to Ford's Pinto isn't surprising, considering it was based on the Pinto platform (just as the original Mustang was based on the compact Falcon).
Old December 8 2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

I think the point was moving away from the old Mustang and moving into a more sports car look, bring it into the twenty first century by having it follow European styling.
Old December 8 2013, 10:24 PM   #13
Warped9
Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
I think the point was moving away from the old Mustang and moving into a more sports car look, bring it into the twenty first century by having it follow European styling.
Meh. A Porsche is still a Porsche. I don't see the Europeans emulating the Americans much.
Old December 8 2013, 10:50 PM   #14
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

They haven't had much reason to with the possible exception of AMG and their muscle cars, hopefully that will change.
Old December 8 2013, 10:55 PM   #15
Warped9
Admiral

Compared to the proposed new design I think I prefer the current model we have now.