Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 8 2013, 03:11 AM   #121
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Re: Why Star Trek Sucks

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Given that one of the premises of TNG was that Starfleet officers devote their life to duty rather than frivolous hobbies
Which is why they go to the holodeck to pretend to be detectives, fight monsters, re-enact Shakespeare?
That's General Order 74, to be carried out whenever the props and costumes budget is running low. Its predecessor in Jim Kirk's era was General Order 21, requiring the ship to visit a planet with a culture coincidentally just like some period of Earth's history. Guess they must have run out of those.
Old December 8 2013, 09:33 AM   #122
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

We do see the crews engaging in hobbies outside of the holodeck. Sulu had a series of hobbies, Beverly did stage plays, Riker played music, Picard dabbled in archeology and tried painting, Sisko built a few models, Paris had a interest in history.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 05:05 PM   #123
suarezguy
Commodore

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Really most of the 'sterile culture' criticisms of TNG apply to the first season where six year olds learn calculus. After that they really laid off that angle.
That was memorably extreme. Agreed that Bashir/O'Brien, Quark and Tom Paris especially brought the tone more down-to-Earth.
I like Trek and in particular TNG in part because I don't think it's entirely realistic for how we could live today but provides well-done, thought-provoking ideals, some that we should live by already and some that we can make progress toward.
Old December 10 2013, 09:44 PM   #124
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

suarezguy wrote: View Post
I like Trek and in particular TNG in part because I don't think it's entirely realistic for how we could live today but provides well-done, thought-provoking ideals, some that we should live by already and some that we can make progress toward.
I give the first season credit for attempting to present a future which is different than our own present. However, some of these differences are things I would hope we never obtain, and I personally see as negatives (the differences weren't all first season).

People will have no fear of death. It's considered odd that a child would mourn the death of a parent. People will have no desire to have possessions.

Those are just a few examples.

Last edited by T'Girl; December 10 2013 at 10:03 PM.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 04:15 AM   #125
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I do like the idea that people don't fritter their time away like we are doing right now and have purpose to their action. But I find the writers' conceit that the only types of entertainment worth pursuing are those which require years of technical education to be kind of ridiculous. Because that has an 'Intellectual superiority of the rich and educated' connotation.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote