RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,695
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 532
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 8 2013, 05:43 AM   #16
donners22
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: The Complete Unauthorized History

I found it an adequate book for what it was, and of course there were some new details which I had not encountered elsewhere, just that there was nothing which struck me as especially remarkable.

I was not desiring a book which aired all the dirty laundry; my point was that it was curiously focused on one person (one person in no position to answer for himself, of course).

Regrettably, I did not maintain a table of such passages. Suffice to say, it was jarring to me from a fairly early stage, which of course made latter passages stand out even more. His death in the narrative came as something of a relief that it was over - at least until the reboot, with a snide comment about how it could be kept secret without Roddenberry around to leak it (apparently disregarding the fact that the Nemesis script was leaked, though I don't recall that rating a mention).

No doubt some readers won't be bothered by it, or won't even pick up on it. For some reason, it stood out dramatically for me. I may well have enjoyed it quite a bit without that; as it was, it was interesting enough, but with a glaring annoying feature.

I actually make a habit of buying library books which I enjoy, incidentally - formed from a combination of my library's habit of discarding books and my own hoarding tendencies. Glad I did it this way.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 08:00 AM   #17
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

donners22 wrote: View Post
with a snide comment about how it could be kept secret without Roddenberry around to leak it
Roddenberry made no secret of leaking Spock's death (ST II), via Susan Sackett, at a big UK convention: he hoped to change the death of Spock. And he did. It got moved from the first act to the climax, and in a "Starlog" interview in the 90s Harve Bennett reflected that he should thank them for forcing their hand and improving the movie.

(apparently disregarding the fact that the Nemesis script was leaked, though I don't recall that rating a mention).
The script synopsis of ST III was leaked to the fans, and was on sale at dealers' tables before the film came out. As were whole scripts of ST VI, "Generations", "First Contact", "Insurrection" and "Nemesis". But not by Roddenberry.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 10:11 AM   #18
Jarvisimo
Commander

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
(apparently disregarding the fact that the Nemesis script was leaked, though I don't recall that rating a mention).
The script synopsis of ST III was leaked to the fans, and was on sale at dealers' tables before the film came out. As were whole scripts of ST VI, "Generations", "First Contact", "Insurrection" and "Nemesis". But not by Roddenberry.
Therin, that's his point - the book apparently makes mention of a habit unfairly connected only to Roddenberry in the text - and makes no such mention of others doing it, like you have in this thread (or explaining why he did it with Khan). For a reader not-in-the-know, it might paint a more negative image of R than applies to anyone else in the show - that seems to be donners22's point.
Old December 8 2013, 12:45 PM   #19
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Jarvisimo wrote: View Post
Therin, that's his point - the book apparently makes mention of a habit unfairly connected only to Roddenberry in the text - and makes no such mention of others doing it.
You say "apparently", so I assume you haven't read it.

It's a totally different situation. Roddenberry leaked a single plot point and claimed his very public victory. And, as Creative Consultant, he felt it was his right. Fans connected with the various later productions leaked whole scripts.

I don't see that it's necessary to expect the book to contain a laundry list of all leaks and actor foibles and scandals just because it mentions some of Gene Roddenberry's leaks, foibles and scandals.

And yes, if he'd still been alive and disliked something JJ Abrams was doing, he'd repeat his ST II strategy. But JJ Abrams was also successful in keeping both his scripts under wraps.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 04:59 PM   #20
Jarvisimo
Commander

Yah, I haven't read it, although it'd be nice! I was just interpolating because it seemed you both had some common ground (despite your disagreement): did not wish to seem like I was coming out against you, therin.

As for the wider issues of tiffs and disagreements: I think, for an analytic companion, they really are important (within reason). You have both educated me on issues that did affect the final products (II and Voyager, for example) in the course of your disagreement.