RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 599
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade & Discuss
A 5 50.00%
B 3 30.00%
C 2 20.00%
D 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 8 2013, 04:42 AM   #16
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Re: MLP:FiM S4E4 - "Daring Don't" - Grade & Discuss

I can't find it anywhere.
Old December 8 2013, 05:14 AM   #17
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Old December 8 2013, 05:56 AM   #18
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Thanks a lot!

But I was kind of disappointed.

And I totally agree with you on this:
Whatever the other merits of the story may have been, I couldn't past that the show has been running long enough that there's no way the mane 6 aren't internationally famous. They practically specialize in saving the world, and their leader is now an alicorn princess, one of only four in existence. That issue should really come up when they barge into a celebrities house and then need to go help her defeat a legendary monster, but the character interactions are still being written like they're nobodies. "Hey, Daring, just thought I should mention -- while you're trying to reject my help -- that we're kinda Princess Celestia's go-to team for this sort of thing. And one of us is her former student and a current Princess."

I dunno. It's just really starting to feel unbelievable now.
All in all, I'd have to go with a B. Certainly a huge let-down from last week.
Old December 8 2013, 06:09 AM   #19
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

To be fair, while the episode has flaws, it would have been near impossible for the guys at DHX to keep the previous episode levels of awesome. I think, in comparison, this one rates lower because of the levels of success found in the previous episodes. On its own, it's certainly a better than average episode, but compare it to the ones that came before it, and it just can't hold to that same level.

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 07:19 AM   #20
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

It occurred to me that, with the conceit of "AK Yearling" writing a version of the episode as her book, this would have been the perfect set up for a Rashomon-style story. I.E the published version bears no resemblance to how Dash remembers it happening, and the whole episode is told in multiple conflicting flashbacks: Dash's, Twilight's, Daring Do's, etc. They could have gotten around a lot of the problems it had if they'd added an unreliable narrator. I'd have enjoyed that.
Old December 8 2013, 07:44 AM   #21
TayLaLaLa
Captain

A

I thought it was a fun EP. A.K. Yearling also being Daring Do was cool...only in Equestria!
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 08:22 AM   #22
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I thought it lacked wit and some of the dialog went on a bit long with nothing going for it.

Of course there were quite a few small nice sweet moments.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 03:48 PM   #23
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
This episode's not going over terribly well on Reddit. It makes me feel better to see many of the top-rated comments are filled with the same reservations I had.

Oh, Polsky, you've done it again.
Yeah, it had a fair few glaring problems. I just loved it for having such a good Rainbow Dash focused episode for the first time in quite a long while.

But damn, the stalker face and DashDo shipping have exploded this morning.
Old December 9 2013, 02:54 AM   #24
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

And I totally agree with you on this:
Old December 11 2013, 08:29 AM   #25
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S

Did I never comment on this one? Wut the hay? I thought I posted in here but obviously not.

Well, it's a little late, but I liked it. It had some flaws, and I agree with some of you about what those flaws were, but I dunno... they seemed more like moderate head-scratchers to me than anything crippling, and I was just having too much fun watching the ep to care all that much. Especially the problem of Daring not recognizing the (former) element bearers or, in particular, Twilight. Not only has this come up before (Sweet & Elite), but also, if anypony could be believably THAT out of the loop, it'd be Daring Do. She obviously doesn't have much contact with society at large, both by choice and due to her "profession".

And man, there was just so much to love in this episode! From the fangirling moments, to the part near the end when RD and DD actually do finally work together, to some amazing Dashie facial expressions. Also the very idea of seeing Daring Do in the flesh, which I find delightful.

One of the best parts of the episode was when Twilight and Rainbow wrangle over what to do next by having a Daring Do Series Nerd-Off.

Overall, I'd say an A- from me. Not as good as the opener or Castle-mane-ia, but still an excellent episode.
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 03:58 PM   #26
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I'm sick of people complaining about Twilight not doing royal things right away.

Cadance was turned into an Alicorn in her early teens and didn't become leader of the Crystal Empire, or do much of anything but baby sitting and travelling, until her late 20's/early 30's.

Celestia's planning on having Twilight's path take years, slowly building her up to be another Alicorn leader for Equestria, since none are needed right now, it's not like there's anything for her to do.

And being with her friends is exactly what this has always been about, keeping her with them serves the purpose of building her up.

Sheesh. Not been watching the show or something?
Old December 11 2013, 10:23 PM   #27
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

That's a good point, Chem. Maybe Celestia learned from her and Luna's experience and put the ascended alicorns on a gradual path to leadership.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote