Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 7 2013, 08:47 PM   #46
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: This is my worst Thanksgiving..

^You're doing the right thing. The driver and the company that pays him need to be held responsible and prevented from endangering the public. I wish you the best of luck.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 08:49 PM   #47
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

MANT! wrote: View Post
Alright, got back yesterday, was too physically and emotionally drained to get online last night..

XXXXXXX was driving a 1999 Ford F-250 with an oil pipe trailer attached to the back and was turning north into a private road, the spokeswoman said. As he was pulling in, he backed up, the trailer broke loose causing the trailer to block both lanes of Highway 176, the spokeswoman said.

At that time, Ryan Ladson Geddings was driving in a 2009 Ford Escape east on Highway 176 when he collided with the trailer, and then collided with two westbound vehicles, the spokeswoman said. Geddings, 24, of Andrews, was pronounced dead at the scene by Andrews Justice of the Peace Neri Flores, the spokeswoman said.
Geddings’ passenger, 21-year-old Erica Olson, was transported to Permian Region Medical Center with injuries not considered life-threatening, the spokeswoman said. Both Geddings and Olson were reported as wearing their seatbelts. No other injuries were reported.
This accident appears to be negligent in origin..basic safety equipment (chains, reflectors) on the trailer he hit were not used or even installed, the driver had a suspended license, and many more problems with the driver including multiple warrants..and the oil company who hired him has several violations of safety regulations on the books, therefore the District Attorney for Andrews County is to make a decision on weather to charge the driver with manslaughter and fine the company for negligence..

I'm in discussions with an attorney as to a civil course of action.

Believe me, I'm not sue happy..I just feel that the driver needs to be eliminated as a source of danger, and the company needs to be punished in a major way so that oil companies in the area will start to take safety equipment seriously

The funeral was the hardest thing I ever had to go through, but this probably wont end for years as the legal system can move slowly..

So that's how it is so far.. nothing good can or will come from this, but it has to be done..
Fingers crossed you're successful and the DA's prosecution results in a conviction so you can honour your son's memory by helping prevent another family going through what you're experienced.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 09:02 PM   #48
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

My sincerest condolences.
Old December 7 2013, 09:51 PM   #49
publiusr
Commodore

auntiehill wrote: View Post
^You're doing the right thing. The driver and the company that pays him need to be held responsible and prevented from endangering the public. I wish you the best of luck.
I've seen a company send out tractors with two trailers out in a winter storm with the roads closing. One more reason to oppose tort reform.

This company which I will not name is an LLC--a limited liability company. The actual company owner has the drivers instructed they do not work for his direct company--but for this shell company of a different name--the LLC itself.

It is a way to hide assets from lawsuits, to force poor people like you to sue nearly broke lawsuit shells--or the poor driver.

This makes us all less safe, in that with the LLC shield, the actual owner thinks he can get away with having cheapo equipment and substandard drivers they don't have to pay as much.

These LLCs put us all at risk.

The arguement has got to be that the very act of forming an LLC to get away with drunks driving junk is itself negligence.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 10:33 PM   #50
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

publiusr wrote: View Post
auntiehill wrote: View Post
I've seen a company send out tractors with two trailers out in a winter storm with the roads closing. One more reason to oppose tort reform.

This company which I will not name is an LLC--a limited liability company. The actual company owner has the drivers instructed they do not work for his direct company--but for this shell company of a different name--the LLC itself.

It is a way to hide assets from lawsuits, to force poor people like you to sue nearly broke lawsuit shells--or the poor driver.

This makes us all less safe, in that with the LLC shield, the actual owner thinks he can get away with having cheapo equipment and substandard drivers they don't have to pay as much.

These LLCs put us all at risk.

The arguement has got to be that the very act of forming an LLC to get away with drunks driving junk is itself negligence.
Wouldn't call it neligence, more depraved indifference - they just don't care about the possible consequences of their actions and set out to avoid in culpability which adds an element of premeditation.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 11:43 AM   #51
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Lazy, ignorant, indifferent dirtbags-- and they cost innocent people their lives.

I'm in favor of taking every cent they've got and putting them behind bars for the rest of their lives.
Old December 8 2013, 01:30 PM   #52
Australis
Writer

Mant: hang in there, mate, you're in my thoughts.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 04:38 PM   #53
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Wow, just saw this. So sorry for your loss MANT!. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote