Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 5 2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Villordsutch
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Villordsutch's Twitter Profile
Khan #3 Review

Hello all below is my review for Star Trek: Khan#3

"Villordsutch wrote:
My review of the last issue caught a word of flack on the web as I didn’t appreciate the huge leaps taken when it came to Khan and Co. taking over the world (who knew it’d be so easy). Well here in issue #3 I’ll tell you now there are a few large leaps made, however in this comic it seems somewhat appropriate.

Expecting “Wine and Roses”, the initial pages greet us with Khan being worshipped by the people, with ribbons and streamers tumbling around the cheering and clapping obedient citizens as he stands, square jawed and steely eyed as his monologue of why people appreciate being ruled surrounds him; you could be mistaken that my initial expectat...
Full review can be found here - http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/1...ek-khan-3.html
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 03:47 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Khan #3 Review

I hope they're paying Eric Kristainsen for using his S.S. Botany Bay cutaway on the alternate cover.
Old December 5 2013, 04:41 PM   #3
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

It was good issue who knew it came down to the chinesse in the for front.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Noddy
Captain

I think it's too far-fetched.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 07:58 PM   #5
dswynne1
Lieutenant

^ To what you are referring to?
dswynne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 10:19 PM   #6
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

I'm guessing the claims of Khan are the main issue.

Certainly, it gives us some leeway in terms of Unreliable Narrator Syndrome to use him as the POV character, particluarly during the Eugenics Wars as they progressed.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 08:09 AM   #7
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Thoroughly enjoyed this issue and a fun cameo by Sydney, Australia!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Noddy
Captain

dswynne1 wrote: View Post
^ To what you are referring to?
Stuff like the Americas getting nuked. If that happened, there'd be no way the late 20th-early 21st century settings of episodes like VOY "11:59" and ENT "Carpenter Street" could happen; people would still be struggling to rebuild civilization.
Old December 8 2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed it - it had more interesting twists than issue 2. I do agree that the concept of the USA being devastated by nuclear conflict in the nineties sit ill at ease with the Voyager time travel but we only saw specific areas so its not completely incongruous.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Noddy
Captain

I should think a nuclear conflict raging across North America would totally devastate the nation for decades to come. So no, Los Angeles would not have looked remotely like it did in VOY "Future's End" (even if it was a slightly alternate past), nor would the locales in VOY "11:59" and ENT "Carpenter Street."
Old December 8 2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

There's also the fact that the 24th-century shows often referenced World War III as a conflict that culminated around mid-century but never referenced the Eugenics Wars. If the EW were a global nuclear exchange in the 1990s, then surely the conflict that ended a decade before First Contact would've been called World War IV instead. So if IDW has indeed chosen to depict the Eugenics Wars that way, it's an extremely strange choice.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 07:30 PM   #12
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
There's also the fact that the 24th-century shows often referenced World War III as a conflict that culminated around mid-century but never referenced the Eugenics Wars. If the EW were a global nuclear exchange in the 1990s, then surely the conflict that ended a decade before First Contact would've been called World War IV instead. So if IDW has indeed chosen to depict the Eugenics Wars that way, it's an extremely strange choice.
Yes, it does seem strange but this could also be a 'Usual Suspects' moment. Just because we have knowledge to contradict Khan doesn't mean the characters do I suppose.

Or of course proof that (IDW) Nero did not come from the Prime Universe.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 08:13 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Yes, it does seem strange but this could also be a 'Usual Suspects' moment. Just because we have knowledge to contradict Khan doesn't mean the characters do I suppose.
I think that the characters could certainly be expected to have enough knowledge of history to know whether there was a global nuclear war in the 1990s. That's not exactly the sort of thing that would be overlooked in history class.

Or of course proof that (IDW) Nero did not come from the Prime Universe.
It's simply proof that the comics are non-canonical. It's not the first time that they've had some strange interpretations, some of which have clashed with the Bad Robot movies as well as with Prime continuity.

This is why tie-ins are not canonical as a rule -- because even with an ongoing attempt at oversight, it's hard for film or TV producers to maintain really solid continuity in tie-ins created by other people while the producers themselves are busy creating the canonical work itself. Generally the only times it can work are after the canon series has ended and the creators are able to oversee the tie-ins more directly -- which is why the Babylon 5 books written after the series ended are canonical and the books written during the series are not, and why the Buffy comics written after the series are canonical and the books and comics written during the series are not.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 02:14 PM   #14
Noddy
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well the comic doesn't actually say the nuclear conflict was global, just that it occurred in the Americas, specifically the north continent. So while that might solve the problem of why it isn't regarded as being WW3 proper, it does mean that it would have probably taken the USA decades to recover from the devastation, so likely no LA as shown in "Future's End", no Millennium Gate in "11:59", and no Carpenter Street in "Carpenter Street." I can't see the nation being able to wage the War on Terror and the invasion of Iraq nearly a decade later either.
Old December 9 2013, 04:09 PM   #15
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Also, dumping Canada into the "Great North Wasteland"...? How likely would that really be?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote