TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 6 2013, 08:49 PM   #421
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Re: Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Jeyl wrote: View Post
And don't forget that very explosion was used for the destruction of the Enterprise D's star drive section in Generations. For all the times that explosion has been used throughout Star Trek's history, I'm surprised they haven't used it at least once in the restoration. It's a fairly nice looking explosion in my opinion.
They did. It's used at the end of Evolution (as in the original):

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...ion_hd_409.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...ion_hd_410.jpg

Speaking of explosions, here's another example of reuse:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g4...dgenerator.jpg
http://geeksoulbrother.com/wp-conten...-explosion.jpg
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...tsfshd1286.jpg

The Reliant explosion has been used a few times too, such as in Night Terrors.

Last edited by jimbotron; December 6 2013 at 11:07 PM.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 11:55 PM   #422
Admiral Bear
Captain

d514 wrote: View Post
Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
My Italian season 4 from Amazon.it came from the Amazon UK warehouse. Was a bit pissed that I'd paid nearly £6 for supposed postage from Italy. Still saved myself £9 on the UK version price.
It probably didn't come directly from the UK warehouse. My amazon.it orders always come from the Amazon GER warehouse - but it always takes a day longer. My guess is, that amazon.it collects all orders of the day which don't go to Italy, packs them in big boxes and ships them to the warehouse in other countries. From there they are shipped individually to the customer. Probably cheaper.
I suppose that's possible, although it's a hell of an arse over tit way of doing things.

My suspicion is that UK Amazon holds much of the stock sold across all of Amazon's European sites, just as the German Amazon seems to. I assume the British, French, and German Amazon operations have to service the whole of Europe, so it makes sense that most of the depots in those countries will hold duplicate stock. You said yourself that your Amazon.it order came from Germany, so it's possible Italy doesn't have a warehouse.

What country do you live in? I'm assuming you're in Italy or Germany. Your order probably came from the nearest warehouse, just as I suspect my Season 4 set also came from the nearest warehouse ie the UK.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 01:49 AM   #423
Salinga
Captain

The commentary of Ronald D. Moore and Naren Shankar on "The First Duty" was a blast. They both told a lot about the episode and sometimes even giggled around like school boys, like they were back in their 20s. A very fun commentary to listen to. Moore really does very good commentaries!

So, here is a fun fact from that commentary: One reaction shot of Picard in that episode is actually Patrick Stewart waking up from a snooze.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 01:53 AM   #424
Salinga
Captain

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
And Braga really liked to crap on his work
I noticed that too. On the ENT Blus, with him moderating the cast reunion, at one point even Scott Bakula had to jump in and stop Braga from painting everything about ENT so negative.

Braga seems to be a kind of depressed guy. I even noticed it again on the CaE commentary when he said in a sad voice "Man, I really miss that show" (TNG he ment).
Old December 7 2013, 02:12 AM   #425
dg1379
Commander

Salinga wrote: View Post
The commentary of Ronald D. Moore and Naren Shankar on "The First Duty" was a blast. They both told a lot about the episode and sometimes even giggled around like school boys, like they were back in their 20s. A very fun commentary to listen to. Moore really does very good commentaries!

So, here is a fun fact from that commentary: One reaction shot of Picard in that episode is actually Patrick Stewart waking up from a snooze.
That particular scene is hilarious now!
dg1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 02:26 AM   #426
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I haven't listened to it yet, but is it when Wesley finally admits the truth at the end of the deposition? There's a shot there where Picard has a "eyes slightly closed but eyebrows up" look on his face that I always thought seemed odd. If it is, I never considered he may have been asleep!
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 07:16 AM   #427
SpHeRe31459
Captain

I noticed that too. On the ENT Blus, with him moderating the cast reunion, at one point even Scott Bakula had to jump in and stop Braga from painting everything about ENT so negative.

Braga seems to be a kind of depressed guy. I even noticed it again on the CaE commentary when he said in a sad voice "Man, I really miss that show" (TNG he ment).
Yeah I think he's given himself a complex from all the years of angry fan stuff online, he's gotten really self-deprecating and negative about things.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 04:42 PM   #428
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Yeah I think he's given himself a complex from all the years of angry fan stuff online, he's gotten really self-deprecating and negative about things.
I haven't even cracked open Season 5 yet (still halfway through 4), but he's never seemed very respectful of the franchise or his own work. In the Season 3 writers' roundtable, he seemed to have almost no memory of his experiences or what he wrote. He either has early dementia (no joking; my Dad had Alzheimer's), or his experiences meant so little to him that they're wiped from his memories.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 06:33 PM   #429
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Doug Otte wrote: View Post

I haven't even cracked open Season 5 yet (still halfway through 4), but he's never seemed very respectful of the franchise or his own work. In the Season 3 writers' roundtable, he seemed to have almost no memory of his experiences or what he wrote. He either has early dementia (no joking; my Dad had Alzheimer's), or his experiences meant so little to him that they're wiped from his memories.
I don't think it's that at all. I remember interviews with him back in the day, and he was really proud of "Cause and Effect." The trouble with that episode is that it's simply an inferior version of Frederick Pohl's "The Tunnel Under the World." And it's probably Braga's best work.

I think his experiences certainly meant something to him back in the day. Most of us know what happened between Moore and Braga; that Brannon Braga was certainly sure of himself. It's understandable; he and Moore were both young, probably both a little cocky after coming off two TNG features. Moore left, whereas Braga moved on up in the Trek ranks to co-showrunner with Berman on VOY and co-creator on ENT and had to take the brunt of fan criticism (not to mention Moore's public personal attacks).

The feeling I get from Braga is not that the experience meant nothing to him, but that it did mean something to him; otherwise the criticisms wouldn't have hurt him.

Braga has always reminded me of Andy Warhol, an ambitious artist with absolutely nothing to say whatsoever.
Old December 7 2013, 07:42 PM   #430
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

or his experiences meant so little to him that they're wiped from his memories.
Perhaps that explains why after creating one of the worst Trek episodes ever and called it Threshold, he created a show and called it...Threshold.
Old December 7 2013, 08:11 PM   #431
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I don't think it's that at all. I remember interviews with him back in the day, and he was really proud of "Cause and Effect."
Agreed, and I think that's why I find that commentary so off putting, he doesn't really even say he's really proud of his work here, he mostly just talks about what's wrong or dated or whatever and jokes with Seth MacFarlane about things.
He's much more candid about things on the ENT Blu-ray season set interviews so far.

The feeling I get from Braga is not that the experience meant nothing to him, but that it did mean something to him; otherwise the criticisms wouldn't have hurt him.

Braga has always reminded me of Andy Warhol, an ambitious artist with absolutely nothing to say whatsoever.
Well put. That's what I was saying, that's why he has the complex, he took it all in, as some who appears to be a bit of a sensitive artist type.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 09:02 PM   #432
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

MacFarlane is just a really horrible moderator. He kept interjecting when Braga had something to say, and didn't lead Braga into expounding on things. If there's another Braga commentary, I hope it's with the Okudas.
Old December 8 2013, 01:16 AM   #433
Salinga
Captain

He was on that commentary, not on the writers reunion. He did a good job there, because he came prepared and was asking questions.
Old December 8 2013, 03:17 AM   #434
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

I don't think it's that at all. I remember interviews with him back in the day, and he was really proud of "Cause and Effect." The trouble with that episode is that it's simply an inferior version of Frederick Pohl's "The Tunnel Under the World." And it's probably Braga's best work.
I'm curious, what makes you think that it was specifically that story which led Braga to write "Cause and Effect"? Is there an interview where he cites it as inspiration? I know he's cited Borges' "The Garden of Forking Paths" as inspiration for "Parallels," but I'm not aware of him citing "The Tunnel Under the World."

In Pohl's story, what's actually happening is that everyone in the town has been recreated as a miniature android, imbued with the memories of a citizen in the real town, which was destroyed. An advertising executive is using these A.I.'s to test various advertising techniques.

That's quite a bit different than "Cause and Effect." The only similarity is a repeating time loop and an explosion. Isn't it equally as likely that Braga simply saw the Academy Award nominated short "12:01 PM" in 1990 (based on the 1973 short story by Richard A. Lupoff) and wanted to do that as an episode?

Old December 8 2013, 04:06 AM   #435
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

I think his experiences certainly meant something to him back in the day. Most of us know what happened between Moore and Braga; that Brannon Braga was certainly sure of himself. It's understandable; he and Moore were both young, probably both a little cocky after coming off two TNG features. Moore left, whereas Braga moved on up in the Trek ranks to co-showrunner with Berman on VOY and co-creator on ENT and had to take the brunt of fan criticism (not to mention Moore's public personal attacks).

Thanks for the input. I stand corrected about his pride in his work. However, didn't you find it odd and a bit alarming how he claimed to not have any memory of some of his scripts during the writers' roundtable?
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote