Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

View Poll Results: Did You Like Seven Of Nine?
Yes! 80 82.47%
No. 17 17.53%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 6 2013, 11:11 AM   #256
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: Did You Like Seven Of Nine?

Yanks wrote: View Post
Voyager was flat in the end. I don't know that I blame 7 for that.
That is the most grievous mistake Rick Berman made with VOYAGER. He's got another show, with another crew going boldly where no one has gone before and, essentially, does nothing different with it. The two crews who've been forced to get along do so too easily and too soon in the series. The Borg, Q, bringing back Sulu for a show, it just goes on and on, the stifled creativity. And then when they do give us a new alien, we get a metaphor for street-gangs. And ... they've got tree bark for hair. I would say that a fan could come up with better than that for VOYAGER, but ... I've made the mistake of viewing Fan Films. Now, I know better.
Old December 6 2013, 04:04 PM   #257
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Timewalker wrote: View Post
How do you crash land safely?
That does sound strange. I just mean a crash where Voyager is pretty banged up, but nobody gets killed or seriously maimed. Like in Generations.
I really love Voyager, but I agree there's room for improvement. I'd have liked to see more Maquis/Starfleet conflicts too.
Old December 6 2013, 10:33 PM   #258
Morpheus 02
Commodore

I am not going to sort through the thread here (at least not now)...but wanted to add. I voted no, mainly because the "deborgified" her too early, and made her a sex object with the Lost In Space-type catsuit.

If each season she became less a Borg, that would have been very interesting, and great to compare episodes.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 11:43 PM   #259
Ro_Laren
Commodore

When I said it was unrealistic, I just meant that it came out of the blue. I was even shocked in Human Error when Seven creates a holo-Chakotay boyfriend. First of all, we never saw any hint whatsoever of Seven liking Chakotay (I'm not talking about flirting, but something as simple as her giving him a longing look when he isn't looking). Second of all, seeing as this episode was in the second half of Season 7 it seemed like something they just made up this relationship in an attempt to aid the emotional impact of the finale where future Seven and her lover Chakotay are dead!! Third of all, it just felt wrong! Not that I care about Chakotay's love life or anything (boring!), but it seems like if he should be with anyone of the crew members then it should have been with Janeway or B'Elanna.
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 12:04 AM   #260
Hazel
Lieutenant Commander

I could have accepted 7's crush in Human Error, since Star Trek has often been about the sudden romance due to the comstraints of episodic television. But why on earth didn't they build on it in the episode when she and Chakotay crash-landed on that planet? IIRC, Jeri Ryan asked the producers if she should add a romantic subtext to her scenes in that episode because of the earlier one, and they told her to forget about it!
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 12:09 AM   #261
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I know everyone just loves Seven of Nine, here. But I've been wondering ... does anyone feel that she did not live up to her full potential, on the show? That, despite all of the Spock and Data-like qualities she had, she may have been rather flat and 2 dimensional, in the end?
Not remotely. She and the EMH were two most compelling and interesting characters on the show. And Seven's attitude and dry humor gave the show a much-needed jolt . . .and spiced up even the dullest eps.

(I had a ball writing her, while binging on Seven-centric episodes for inspiration.)
Old December 7 2013, 02:25 AM   #262
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Really really looking forward to your upcoming TOS/Seven novel Greg! Any info on when this is taking place for Seven and Kirk in their timelines? I don't want spoilers or anything, not that you'd give them, but I figure a time placement is ok to ask for.
One of my best friends at the time VOY was on was a straight guy who had a massive crush on Seven/JR, but he was also a massive Borg fan, and he prefered her Borg-ed out to the catsuited hottie.
It only just occured to me as I wrote this that maybe the Borg-ed out Seven turned him on more than the catsuit. I don't think so, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.
I don't judge. Picard was pretty hot as Locutus.
Old December 7 2013, 02:31 AM   #263
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

borgboy wrote: View Post
Really really looking forward to your upcoming TOS/Seven novel Greg! Any info on when this is taking place for Seven and Kirk in their timelines? I don't want spoilers or anything, not that you'd give them, but I figure a time placement is ok to ask for.
There are some bookend chapters set in the 24th century, but most of the book has Seven back in the 23rd century with Kirk and Spock and McCoy and the rest.

I pitched it to CBS as an Original Series novel "guest-starring Seven of Nine."
Old December 7 2013, 02:40 AM   #264
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I am curious when this takes place for Seven. Is it set during the VOY series or later in the novel relaunch era? If you can and want to say. I'm equally interested either way, just curious.
Any word on when we get to see the book cover? I'm really looking forward to seeing that too, since it seems like a good opprotunity for something really fun and cool to be done. Like Seven in the minidress uniform.
Old December 7 2013, 03:14 AM   #265
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

borgboy wrote: View Post
I am curious when this takes place for Seven. Is it set during the VOY series or later in the novel relaunch era? If you can and want to say. I'm equally interested either way, just curious.
Any word on when we get to see the book cover? I'm really looking forward to seeing that too, since it seems like a good opprotunity for something really fun and cool to be done. Like Seven in the minidress uniform.
I don't think it's a secret. The Voyager bits are set during the run of the series, in part because I didn't want step all over the relaunch era's toes. And mostly because I wanted to write the "classic" Seven of Nine, as seen on the show.

And I'm dying to see the cover, too!

Last edited by Greg Cox; December 7 2013 at 03:28 AM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 03:19 AM   #266
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Greg. What we all want to know. Do 7 and Kirk get it on.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 03:28 AM   #267
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I think Spock would be a better match for Seven :P
Old December 7 2013, 03:28 AM   #268
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Greg. What we all want to know. Do 7 and Kirk get it on.
You really want me to give that away? Shame!
Old December 7 2013, 03:40 AM   #269
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

SO THERE IS A THING TO GIVE AWAY ON THIS TOPIC!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 03:42 AM   #270
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
SO THERE IS A THING TO GIVE AWAY ON THIS TOPIC!
Or I'm just a shameless tease.