Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

View Poll Results: Did You Like Seven Of Nine?
Yes! 80 82.47%
No. 17 17.53%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 2 2013, 05:11 AM   #241
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Did You Like Seven Of Nine?

Of course she enjoys the actual mechanics of it, she just also enjoys being totally in control of their lives.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 03:11 AM   #242
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Yeah, but if you chose any character to be sexually nondescriminatory for personal power in the MU, wouldn't it be Garak? I mean, Garak/Bashir...

But no, the DS9 writers know the gender composition of their fan base, and that's why they chose Kira.

It's true a lot of women dress for sex appeal, but based on Seven's established personality, she would dress strictly functionally.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 08:05 PM   #243
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I love the character of Kes and count a number of the episodes in which she was heavily featured among my favorite episodes from the series, but the decision to bring in Seven made the series - which, IMO, was already very good - all that much better, affording the writers the opportunity to tell stories that they otherwise would not have been able to tell.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 08:22 PM   #244
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Yeah, but if you chose any character to be sexually nondescriminatory for personal power in the MU, wouldn't it be Garak?
That would imply that MU Garak is anything like his RU counterpart. Andrew Robinson hated playing evil Garak, because that version was just some sadistic thug; he had none of the ambiguity that RU Garak had.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 02:30 AM   #245
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Garak is one of the most intriguing characters in any of the Star Trek series. You never really know what's what with him, if he's sincere or if he's got several layers of lies going, and what he really thinks about Julian.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 03:13 AM   #246
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I think he sees Julian as a tasty little morsel..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 01:25 AM   #247
2takesfrakes
Fleet Captain

I know everyone just loves Seven of Nine, here. But I've been wondering ... does anyone feel that she did not live up to her full potential, on the show? That, despite all of the Spock and Data-like qualities she had, she may have been rather flat and 2 dimensional, in the end?
Old December 6 2013, 02:10 AM   #248
Yanks
Captain

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I know everyone just loves Seven of Nine, here. But I've been wondering ... does anyone feel that she did not live up to her full potential, on the show? That, despite all of the Spock and Data-like qualities she had, she may have been rather flat and 2 dimensional, in the end?
Voyager was flat in the end. I don't know that I blame 7 for that.
Old December 6 2013, 02:17 AM   #249
Timewalker

If I'd been writing the Seven/Chakotay stuff in the final episode, it would have been his discovering her holodeck fantasy and reaming her out for invasion of privacy (or whatever they call it when someone uses an in-universe "RL" person in a holoprogram without their permission). The picnic would have been part of the holodeck fantasy instead of actually happening (and something that's bugged me about that scene... who actually considers a picnic lunch an "elaborate meal"?).

But then there wouldn't have been as much of the C/7, C/J, and 7/J fanfic going on as there has been...

Old December 6 2013, 02:36 AM   #250
Hazel
Lieutenant Commander

Hmm, I don't recall a romance between 7 and Chakotay...unless you all mean those scenes when they were both consoling each other because their shared love Janeway was too busy being captain to get involved with either of them.Yup, that's what happened really. It's called subtext
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 04:25 AM   #251
borgboy
Captain

I can see where it made sense to explore romance with Seven. I just hate that they did it with Chakotay. They had no chemistry, the relationship made no sense, and it actually took away from the character and relationship development in the show. Chakotay and Janeway were built up slowly over the years, and I think the end should've been their relationship. Seven and Janeway have a big fan base, but the networks weren't going there.
If they had to give Seven a romance, it should've been the Doctor, or else some random guy on the ship. If they planned things out better they could've cast an older actor to play Icheb and had him be her boyfriend. I'd have missed the Icheb we got though.
There was a lot of great stuff in the finale. Old Admiral Janeway was awesome, and this was the best Borg story we'd had in years. Everybody got home. I just wish Seven and Chakotay's groan worthy romance hadn't tainted an otherwise great story. I like the characters, just not as a couple. The end should've been Janeway pulling Chakotay in for a kiss after they got a good look at Earth.
Actually, I think Voyager crash landing safely on Earth would've made a pretty spectacular ending too, just for a last bit of excitement and a big visual.
Old December 6 2013, 04:30 AM   #252
Timewalker

How do you crash land safely?

Old December 6 2013, 05:31 AM   #253
Ro_Laren
Commodore

I always liked Seven of Nine. Her and Janeway were always my favorite characters. In fact, I can’t think of a Seven-centric episode that I didn’t like (though I was annoyed with the whole 7-C relationship… so unrealistic!).

As far as the behind the scenes stuff, I do feel bad that Jennifer Lien was fired. The producers / studio wanted to shake things up and that was the route they chose to take. It’s a shame that the producers decided to make Jeri Ryan wear that dumb catsuit, but it isn’t Jeri’s fault. I always thought it was unrealistic that Seven would have wanted to wear that outfit! Though I thought that in one episode they said that the Doctor chose Seven’s hairstyle, so perhaps he chose that outfit as well. But, it also seems unrealistic that he would recommend that outfit especially since those shoes must have been hard on her back!
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 06:06 AM   #254
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I don't think Chakotay/Seven was unrealistic so much as it made absolutely no sense for the characters. If it had been at all hinted at beforehand or if they had some kind of growing friendship it might have made sense, but it just kind of came out of nowhere near the end of the series. The two characters barely had any scenes together leading up to it.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 06:18 AM   #255
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
If it had been at all hinted at beforehand
It was hinted at... in Human Error.

it just kind of came out of nowhere near the end of the series.
Yes, it did, but it didn't come as 'out of the blue' as people think it did; as I just mentioned, it was hinted at in Human Error.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote