To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 5 2013, 08:30 PM   #136
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

davejames wrote: View Post

And let's not forget freakin Milla Jovovich in the Resident Evil movies, or Kate Beckinsale in the Underworld movies. If fans can accept a couple of thin and delicate women like that kicking ass in their movies (and going up against all manner of huge monsters and zombie creatures), then surely we should be able to accept Gadot kicking ass as WW.
Good point! And it's probably worth pointing out (again) that Lynda Carter didn't look like a body-builder or professional wrestler.
Old December 5 2013, 08:32 PM   #137
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

davejames wrote: View Post
And let's not forget freakin Milla Jovovich in the Resident Evil movies, or Kate Beckinsale in the Underworld movies.
Both rendered superhuman by viral infections (RE now having multiple overlapping infections and UW having Selene the 3rd most powerful being on Earth) which leave their external appearance identical to the moment of infection no matter how powerful they become later. Selene and Alice were rather normal, average strength people before.

I do see what you mean though, the Amazonian genetic structure or tissue much greater in density and strength while giving the same outward appearance as someone several times inferior to their ability. Some mystical energy infusing them that leaves no external sign of that power.
Old December 5 2013, 08:44 PM   #138
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And it's probably worth pointing out (again) that Lynda Carter didn't look like a body-builder or professional wrestler.
Why do people insist on bringing up body builders and pro wrestlers? A woman can be muscular and not look anything like that. You are taking the most extreme examples.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 08:49 PM   #139
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

^^ So, magic? If they go with the gol... er, molded from clay origin, that makes it even more "likely."

It'll be interesting to see what direction they go with her assuming she's more than just a five-minute cameo. Straight-up Thor/Sif warrior-type (Thor's movies probably have made that more palatable)? "Ambassador of peace" from the Amazons?

The Naughty List wrote: View Post
I'm not a big fan of body-builder Wonder Woman, but if they had gone with Gina Carano, the inspiration for Korra, I would have liked that. She's also Cavil's ex girlfriend.
Ah right, I knew there was a real-world inspiration there.

BigJake wrote: View Post
Wonder Woman seems to be an object of fetish to a large slice of her fandom.
To be fair and without defending it, that's been there from the bginning.
Old December 5 2013, 08:53 PM   #140
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And it's probably worth pointing out (again) that Lynda Carter didn't look like a body-builder or professional wrestler.
Why do people insist on bringing up body builders and pro wrestlers? A woman can be muscular and not look anything like that. You are taking the most extreme examples.
You are never getting to get someone who looks like the comics Wonder Woman - because like any other comics character, you'd be casting someone with an impossible waist and out of proportion breasts.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 09:00 PM   #141
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I'm not arguing that point. I am trying to say a woman can be fit and muscular without looking like a body builder or pro wrestler.
Old December 5 2013, 09:09 PM   #142
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Supposedly, according to some tellings of the story, her strength come from her magic girdle.

As long as she has that girdle, no matter how strong she appears to look, this character can still juggle firetrucks.

And really what does a woman with a "perfect figure" need with a girdle anyways?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 09:16 PM   #143
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I guess it all depends on which interpretation they will base her character on. The current continuity has her being the daughter of Zeus, so it's no mystery where she gets her strength.
Old December 5 2013, 10:10 PM   #144
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
BigJake wrote: View Post
Wonder Woman seems to be an object of fetish to a large slice of her fandom.
To be fair and without defending it, that's been there from the bginning.
Yeah, William Moulton Marston, the guy who created Wonder Woman, was a bondage fetishist and some of that made its way into the early comics.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 10:21 PM   #145
Christopher
Writer

But Marston was also a feminist and wanted to create a character that would be empowering for women. Wonder Woman has always straddled that awkward line between aspirational figure for women and fetish figure for men. The problems is that the male comics establishment has too often pushed the balance in the latter direction.

Really, if you ask me, the much-reviled "Diana Prince/New Wonder Woman" era from the late '60s, where she lost her powers and costume and became an Emma Peel-inspired secret agent type, was the period when she was least fetishized and most successful as a feminist symbol, because she was able to operate on the same level as Batman, say, without needing any special powers, and because, while she was always fashionable, her clothing wasn't particularly revealing or impractical.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 10:35 PM   #146
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Not women. Young girls. Comics are for children, especially back the, and he was trying to make sure that 7 year olds were empowered. Adult women would nod and smile, and then wonder how stupid Marston thought they were.

Steve Trevor marrying the fat secretary Eta Candy said more about female empowerment than Wonder Woman the metahuman ever did.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:17 PM   #147
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Supposedly, according to some tellings of the story, her strength come from her magic girdle.

As long as she has that girdle, no matter how strong she appears to look, this character can still juggle firetrucks.

And really what does a woman with a "perfect figure" need with a girdle anyways?
The girdle thing was only the Lynda Carter TV show. But, your point that looks have nothing to do with her strength is quite right. This is comics, a fantasy, let it be.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:26 PM   #148
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

Regardless of what the actress looks like (I think she'll put on some weight and she'll be fine), I am ridiculously excited about this. The Big Three are coming to the big screen and it makes me feel like a kid again. I think it's just possible that DC/WB are finally getting their shit together in the face of Marvel's overwhelming succes, and it's about time. I think it's smart of them not to follow Marvel's exact blueprint as well. They need to catch up, and getting their three biggest names into a movie posthaste seems like a good way to do it.

Anyone think it's possible they might be pulling a bait-and-switch here? Like maybe at the next Comicon they'll go "Oh, by the way, Green Lantern and Flash are in this movie, too and it's now called 'Justice League'"? Just speculation, but it does seem that this is a lot bigger than a Man Of Steel sequel.
And the second penguin said "Maybe I am..."
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:29 PM   #149
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

I doubt it. The general audience doesn't really know or care about comics to the extent such a bait and switch would cause anything but confusion.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:35 PM   #150
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

Gov Radner wrote: View Post
I doubt it. The general audience doesn't really know or care about comics to the extent such a bait and switch would cause anything but confusion.
That may have been true at one point, but I think the success of the Avengers speaks for itself. And the Avengers had much less mainstream recognition. Even my 75 year old parents have a basic idea of what the Justice League is.

I'm not saying I'm right. Again, it's speculation fueled by fanboy excitement. But I do think you're overlooking how much mainstream appeal comic book characters have gained.
And the second penguin said "Maybe I am..."
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote