TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 5 2013, 05:49 PM   #121
Christopher
Writer

Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
^Maybe they would also like to explain the mechanics of how any woman can fight with breasts as big as WW and Power Girl. In comics it's pure fantasy. Wonder Woman can be drawn and shown fighting with C-E cups, and people rarely question how she is able to.
It's called a sports bra. Serena Williams is a very ample-chested, curvaceous woman, but she's also one of the most powerful, fast, and agile athletes in tennis (and not just women's tennis). So no, it's not pure fantasy. Ample breasts can be an encumbrance, but that encumbrance can be overcome with sufficient athleticism and the right athletic wear. (I mean, think about it. There's a free-swinging portion of the male anatomy that can be quite awkward if it's not properly contained and protected, but that hasn't kept men from succeeding athletically, because they devised garments and equipment that could compensate for the problem.)

Although, granted, it's hard to see how Diana's bustier could work effectively as a sports bra.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 05:50 PM   #122
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Starfury wrote: View Post

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
You seem to have the misconception that putting on muscle means automatically being overly muscular.
Yeah, this. You say "Muscle" and every nerd instantly thinks of bulky bodybuilding monsters which is... just sad.
Yes. I'm think more along the lines of track and field types who do a lot running, jumping, throwing, etc.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 05:58 PM   #123
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

She doesn't need... Oh ffS!

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 06:02 PM   #124
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

^Maybe they would also like to explain the mechanics of how any woman can fight with breasts as big as WW and Power Girl. In comics it's pure fantasy. Wonder Woman can be drawn and shown fighting with C-E cups, and people rarely question how she is able to.
Well, being a Kryptonian on Earth, Power Girl needs a physics-based explanation for how she carries herself as much as Superman does for flying, X-ray vision, super-strength, etc.
Old December 5 2013, 06:16 PM   #125
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I feel like this thread as turned into a Babe of the Week thread. Ick.
A thread about Wonder Woman will deteriorate into a minute dissection of female flesh worthy of a butcher shop in a span of time inversely proportionate to the body-mass index of whatever actress has been cast or is in talks to play her.
Pretty much. Of course, pretty much true of any female character in a genre movie, TV show, comic, etc.

I'm more concerned how Snyder is going to use the character than what this actress, who has just been cast, looks like now....without training, without costume, without makeup, etc, etc.

Snyder doesn't really have the best track record of creating three dimensional female characters.... three dimensional fetishized female objects, that's more in his wheel house.
Old December 5 2013, 07:03 PM   #126
davejames
Vice Admiral

You don't have to worry about Gal getting in fighting shape for the role. Just look at what Antje Traue/ Faora had to go through preparing for Man Of Steel
Yeah that's actually a good comparison. Antje Traue doesn't look particularly big and strong in real life either, but they managed to make her look intimidating as hell in MOS (even without the armor).

And let's not forget freakin Milla Jovovich in the Resident Evil movies, or Kate Beckinsale in the Underworld movies. If fans can accept a couple of thin and delicate women like that kicking ass in their movies (and going up against all manner of huge monsters and zombie creatures), then surely we should be able to accept Gadot kicking ass as WW.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 07:04 PM   #127
sojourner
Admiral

Oh come on. Suckerpunch was an amazing character study.
Old December 5 2013, 07:11 PM   #128
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Oh come on. Suckerpunch was an amazing character study.
I needed that.
Old December 5 2013, 07:29 PM   #129
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Actors can change how powerful/not powerful they look without even gaining or losing weight; sometimes it's all in the performance. If this version of Wonder Woman doesn't work it'll have nothing to do with her physique and everything to do with the acting/writing/directing.
Old December 5 2013, 08:04 PM   #130
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

While the Fast and Furious movies aren't an acting showcase, Gal Gadot nevertheless showed decent acting chops and good screen presence in them. Gina Carano, on the other hand, after a pretty good performance in Haywire, albeit in a part with limited dialogue, was quite poor in Fast & Furious 6. I'm glad Gadot got the nod over Carano on that count. From what I've seen of them so far, Gadot and Jaimie Alexander have roughly similar acting chops, but Gadot has better screen presence in my opinion.
Old December 5 2013, 08:30 PM   #131
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post

And let's not forget freakin Milla Jovovich in the Resident Evil movies, or Kate Beckinsale in the Underworld movies. If fans can accept a couple of thin and delicate women like that kicking ass in their movies (and going up against all manner of huge monsters and zombie creatures), then surely we should be able to accept Gadot kicking ass as WW.
Good point! And it's probably worth pointing out (again) that Lynda Carter didn't look like a body-builder or professional wrestler.
Old December 5 2013, 08:32 PM   #132
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

davejames wrote: View Post
And let's not forget freakin Milla Jovovich in the Resident Evil movies, or Kate Beckinsale in the Underworld movies.
Both rendered superhuman by viral infections (RE now having multiple overlapping infections and UW having Selene the 3rd most powerful being on Earth) which leave their external appearance identical to the moment of infection no matter how powerful they become later. Selene and Alice were rather normal, average strength people before.

I do see what you mean though, the Amazonian genetic structure or tissue much greater in density and strength while giving the same outward appearance as someone several times inferior to their ability. Some mystical energy infusing them that leaves no external sign of that power.
Old December 5 2013, 08:44 PM   #133
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And it's probably worth pointing out (again) that Lynda Carter didn't look like a body-builder or professional wrestler.
Why do people insist on bringing up body builders and pro wrestlers? A woman can be muscular and not look anything like that. You are taking the most extreme examples.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 08:49 PM   #134
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

^^ So, magic? If they go with the gol... er, molded from clay origin, that makes it even more "likely."

It'll be interesting to see what direction they go with her assuming she's more than just a five-minute cameo. Straight-up Thor/Sif warrior-type (Thor's movies probably have made that more palatable)? "Ambassador of peace" from the Amazons?

The Naughty List wrote: View Post
I'm not a big fan of body-builder Wonder Woman, but if they had gone with Gina Carano, the inspiration for Korra, I would have liked that. She's also Cavil's ex girlfriend.
Ah right, I knew there was a real-world inspiration there.

BigJake wrote: View Post
Wonder Woman seems to be an object of fetish to a large slice of her fandom.
To be fair and without defending it, that's been there from the bginning.
Old December 5 2013, 08:53 PM   #135
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And it's probably worth pointing out (again) that Lynda Carter didn't look like a body-builder or professional wrestler.
Why do people insist on bringing up body builders and pro wrestlers? A woman can be muscular and not look anything like that. You are taking the most extreme examples.
You are never getting to get someone who looks like the comics Wonder Woman - because like any other comics character, you'd be casting someone with an impossible waist and out of proportion breasts.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote