RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Posts: 5,430,725
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 521
Newest member: Old Man 51


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 5 2013, 10:55 AM   #91
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

If my girlfriend saw me posting things like these about any woman, she would shit a brick, I'm sure. And my mom would wonder where she went wrong....
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:13 AM   #92
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: In Exile
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Coach Comet wrote: View Post
If my girlfriend saw me posting things like these about any woman, she would shit a brick, I'm sure. And my mom would wonder where she went wrong....
You should come clean, and admit your wrongdoing to them in an effort to repent.
__________________
We first fought... in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change. -Serj Tankian
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:28 AM   #93
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

In case I wasn't clear, I wasn't referring to anything I'd posted.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:34 AM   #94
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain
 
AllStarEntprise's Avatar
 
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

I wonder what style of costume they will go for?

Will she have a tight latex costume like Silk Spectre from Snyder's Watchmen or will they use one out of the comics or an armor version resembling Faora.

Here are some costumes I like.

Traditional


Pants version from J. Michael Straczynski's short run back in 2011.


New 52



Armored Fan art version (artist page here http://nebezial.deviantart.com/


The upcoming Justice League War movie costume




So many I like. Decisions, Decisions
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:38 AM   #95
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Actresses are not women, or at least not women first, second, third or fourth.

There's no need to be as rude as beaker, but actors are paid, and at the top end of the spectrum paid very well to transform everything about themselves into sometimes something radically different.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:43 AM   #96
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: In Exile
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
I wonder what style of costume they will go for?

Will she have a tight latex costume like Silk Spectre from Snyder's Watchmen or will they use one out of the comics or an armor version resembling Faora.

Here are some costumes I like.

Traditional


Pants version from J. Michael Straczynski's short run back in 2011.


New 52



Armored Fan art version (artist page here http://nebezial.deviantart.com/


The upcoming Justice League War movie costume




So many I like. Decisions, Decisions
I'd bet some form of the pants costume... That said, you could also take not account the outfits from MoS as an idea of direction. Kevin Smith was shown a pic of Afleck in the batman suit by Snyder after some yahoo MoS q&a he moderated, and said its nothing like has been shown in the movies so far. He aid it was very much like a particular comic style, buy it was beeped/censored in the Hollywood Bable-on podcast so unless you were there you don't know specifics.
__________________
We first fought... in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change. -Serj Tankian
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:49 AM   #97
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Or they could pick one of mine.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 11:57 AM   #98
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain
 
AllStarEntprise's Avatar
 
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

The Mirroball Man those are lovely =^_^=
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 12:04 PM   #99
Saga
Rear Admiral
 
Saga's Avatar
 
Location: VA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Yikes. Horribly skinny, no boobs, tattooed, and only vaguely cute (but by no means beautiful).
don't hold back tell us what you really think...
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 12:04 PM   #100
BigJake
Rear Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
My friend Yasmine Petty is also a model. Funny how she does not have to do this.
First hit in a Google search on this name brought up this discussion on another forum, containing strong indicators that the same person goes by the name Jennifer Ryan in contexts that imply modelling is not their primary source of income. Which, that's cool, I'm not judging anyone... but I wouldn't go representing them as an example of professional fashion modelling.

Don't mean to bust your chops Christopher, but I want someone who looks like a woman playing Wonder Woman, not a stick figure.
Yasmine / Jennifer is quite beautiful and a triumph of self-creation, but it's fairly obvious that their "living doll" look is the product of implants and extensive surgery. It's more than a bit disturbing to see this described as being somehow definitive of what "looks like a woman." Because it isn't. And it certainly has little or nothing to do with how the character of Wonder Woman has been portrayed in comics.
__________________
It's got electrolytes!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen "Take me off" - The Stig

Last edited by BigJake; December 5 2013 at 12:24 PM.
BigJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 12:08 PM   #101
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: In Exile
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Or they could pick one of mine.
Id love to see Gal in your hipster WW outfit.
__________________
We first fought... in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change. -Serj Tankian
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 02:08 PM   #102
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker
 
Savage Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Sindatur wrote: View Post
TheSeeker wrote: View Post
AvBaur wrote: View Post
To be fair, Christian Bale also looked pretty frail and weak when he was cast as Batman...



There's no reason why she couldn't put on some muscle for the role. Male superhero actors do it all the time.
Demi Moore and Linda Hamilton are two actresses who spring to mind.
In Bale's case, he lost a ton of weight for that role, so, losing the weight was probably tougher than putting it back on. A closer analogy would probably be Chris Hemsworth putting on the bulk for Thor
I just meant in the sense that it is not unheard of for female actors to change their physique for a role.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Adding 15 kilos of muscle does not add "curves" to a woman. And again, which was my point, Wonder Woman is not and has almost never portrayed as a muscular female bodybuilder. I expect her to look fit and slightly athletic, just like she does in the comics.

I beg to differ. Weight training can add some very appealing curves to a woman, particularly in the glutes area. Weight training and putting muscle on does not automatically equal a bodybuilders physique.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 04:07 PM   #103
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Gal is a beautiful woman, but she's not Wonder Woman. Maybe if she gains about 30-pounds of muscle or something but, really, I just don't see it at all.
As it happens, 30 pounds of muscle is just what Christopher Reeve put on when he was cast as Superman. It worked pretty well for him.


The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Adding 15 kilos of muscle does not add "curves" to a woman.
So now it comes out. "She's too skinny" is really just a euphemism for "Her boobs aren't big enough." I wondered if that might be what was really going on here.

Of course, women can change how curvaceous they are by adding or removing body fat, and models in our society are generally expected to minimize body fat. Looking at photos online of Ms. Gadot, she's clearly more curvaceous in some than in others. And a woman's apparent curvaceousness can be enhanced by costuming; Lucy Lawless's Xena costume made her seem considerably bustier than she actually is.

But it should go without saying, of course, that curvaceousness is not the most important attribute for Wonder Woman.


BigJake wrote: View Post
Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
Don't mean to bust your chops Christopher, but I want someone who looks like a woman playing Wonder Woman, not a stick figure.
Yasmine / Jennifer is quite beautiful and a triumph of self-creation, but it's fairly obvious that their "living doll" look is the product of implants and extensive surgery. It's more than a bit disturbing to see this described as being somehow definitive of what "looks like a woman." Because it isn't. And it certainly has little or nothing to do with how the character of Wonder Woman has been portrayed in comics.
Indeed. I overlooked that part of Duncan's post before, but I have to agree with you -- it's deeply disturbing and offensive to see someone claim that the only way to "look like a woman" is to have fake boobs and pronounced curves. That's not only staggeringly sexist but bizarrely insular, since any man who's actually interacted with real women to any significant extent must be aware that they come in a wide variety of shapes -- and that they don't need the approval of a man in order to qualify as real women. There are many different ways for women to be beautiful, and they're as much about what's on the inside as what's on the surface.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 04:17 PM   #104
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Christopher wrote: View Post
As it happens, 30 pounds of muscle is just what Christopher Reeve put on when he was cast as Superman. It worked pretty well for him.
And if that's what this woman does, then it might work out.

So now it comes out. "She's too skinny" is really just a euphemism for "Her boobs aren't big enough." I wondered if that might be what was really going on here.
Well, I wouldn't say that's what I was necessarily arguing but along those lines I'd "sort of" agree she just doesn't have WW's figure. In all of the pre-planning of Wonder Woman weren't many actresses looked over because it wasn't felt their physical size fit with WW's physique? Most depictions have Wonder Woman as a pretty built woman with, yes, curves.

I'm not say Gal doesn't have curves or isn't attractive. She does and is. She just, right now, doesn't have Wonder Woman's curves and physique.

When people were saying that the actress who plays Sif in the Thor movies should be WW there's a reason. She LOOKS like Wonder Woman because she's got some mass on her.

This could all still work out, Gadot, Affleck, having at least three superheroes in the same movie but, right now, ugh... It's looking like a half-assed JL movie.

Maybe someday Wonder Woman will get a her own movie, along with other JL/DC characters and we'll get a decent build up to a JL movie but, right now.... Ugh. Even setting aside the casting I don't think WB is doing this right. I remain guarded and mostly unexcited about this project.

Again, could be surprised and willing to give Affleck and Gadot the benefit of the doubt here but Affleck just on his Affleck-iness and Gadot (superficially on her physique right now) doesn't leave me too hopeful.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 04:51 PM   #105
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain
 
AllStarEntprise's Avatar
 
Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
As it happens, 30 pounds of muscle is just what Christopher Reeve put on when he was cast as Superman. It worked pretty well for him.
And if that's what this woman does, then it might work out.

So now it comes out. "She's too skinny" is really just a euphemism for "Her boobs aren't big enough." I wondered if that might be what was really going on here.
Well, I wouldn't say that's what I was necessarily arguing but along those lines I'd "sort of" agree she just doesn't have WW's figure. In all of the pre-planning of Wonder Woman weren't many actresses looked over because it wasn't felt their physical size fit with WW's physique? Most depictions have Wonder Woman as a pretty built woman with, yes, curves.

I'm not say Gal doesn't have curves or isn't attractive. She does and is. She just, right now, doesn't have Wonder Woman's curves and physique.

When people were saying that the actress who plays Sif in the Thor movies should be WW there's a reason. She LOOKS like Wonder Woman because she's got some mass on her.
Jamie Alexander/Lady Sir has mass on her?

I dont see it. Gal and Jamie have nearly identical body types in my view. Gal just has skinnier arms.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, superman, wonder woman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.