Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 5 2013, 03:59 AM   #76
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Everybody's an armchair casting director . . . .
Yeah, that about sums it up.
Old December 5 2013, 04:08 AM   #77
Christopher
Writer

Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
My friend Yasmine Petty is also a model. Funny how she does not have to do this.
Don't mean to bust your chops Christopher, but I want someone who looks like a woman playing Wonder Woman, not a stick figure. Don't you?
I'm pleased to see that the culture is changing to allow more variety in model types, but it should be screamingly obvious that human beings are capable of changing their weight and build. Just because not all models are rail-thin does not prove that a rail-thin model must be naturally that way, or that it's somehow physically impossible for her to gain weight and muscle tone. This is a totally ridiculous objection.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 04:36 AM   #78
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Gov Radner wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Not so long so:

"Chris Evans CAN'T play Captain America! He already played the Human Torch."

"Who is this Chris Hemsworth guy? We demand Alexander Skarsgard as Thor! Hemsworth can't play a Viking; he's Australian!"

"Daniel Craig can't play James Bond! It's James Bond, not 'James Blond.'"

Moral: Never trust the internet on such matters. Everybody's an armchair casting director . . . .
Then before the Internet, there was the angst and hair pulling over a comedian playing Batman. A Comedian!?
Mr. Mom, no less, in a movie directed by the guy who did Pee-Wee's Big Adventure!

I was at a big convention the weekend that was announced. I thought the poor Warner Bros. flack was going to be tarred and feathered. Everyone was convinced that the movie was going to be spoof like the 1966 show and be the biggest bomb ever. Fans were outraged, I tell you. Outraged!

Then the movie was a monster hit . . . .
Old December 5 2013, 05:15 AM   #79
Christopher
Writer

Although I still cannot look at Michael Keaton and see Bruce Wayne. No reason a comedian in general couldn't have pulled it off; comedians often make excellent dramatic actors. Heck, Diedrich Bader made an awesome Batman. But Michael Keaton? After all these years, I simply do not see it.

But Ms. Gadot is still an unknown quantity. At the moment, I can't see her as Wonder Woman, but I haven't seen her actually play the role yet, so I have no legitimate basis for an opinion one way or the other. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting, not in glancing at the menu.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 06:00 AM   #80
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
There's no reason why Wonder Woman should look Greek. In mythology, the Amazons were the enemies of the Greeks. The whole point of them was that they were a barbarian culture from a remote, alien land and represented the "evil" opposite of Greek gender values. In mythology, they're generally said to be from Scythia -- the modern Ukraine -- or Turkey, though some sources put them in Libya instead. They may have been inspired by real-life Asian horse nomad cultures from the region, in which gender roles would've been fairly egalitarian. So if anything, one should expect Amazons to be more Middle Eastern or Central/Southwest Asian.

Although DC Amazons are a multiethnic nation of refugees from cultures all over the world, at least in the post-Crisis/pre-New 52 era. Not to mention that Diana was molded from clay, so heredity really isn't a factor for her.
DC's Amazons have always been Greco-centric: worshiping the Greek gods, speaking a dialect of Greek and using Greek styles in their architecture. I would surmise any sculpture created by them would be in the Greek idea.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 06:07 AM   #81
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

So it's now becoming the Justice League movie.
Old December 5 2013, 06:44 AM   #82
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yeah... I just don't see Wonder Woman coming from her.
Lots of people said the same thing about Christopher Reeve and Superman. And Heath Ledger and the Joker. And countless others.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
In Bale's case, he lost a ton of weight for that role, so, losing the weight was probably tougher than putting it back on. A closer analogy would probably be Chris Hemsworth putting on the bulk for Thor
Again, though -- Gadot is a model. Models in this day and age are required to reduce their weight to an absurd, unhealthy degree and keep it down at all costs. So it's actually a pretty perfect analogy.
My friend Yasmine Petty is also a model. Funny how she does not have to do this.
No offense to your friend, but she's not exactly the body type one sees on the runways at the major fashion shows in Milan, Paris, New York, and London.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 08:06 AM   #83
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Yikes. Horribly skinny, no boobs, tattooed, and only vaguely cute (but by no means beautiful).
Lynda Carter may have had no ass, but she was a true beauty (and stacked, to boot). This woman can't carry her halter top.
Old December 5 2013, 09:27 AM   #84
Data Holmes
Admiral

I think that she is a great choice. She is a beautiful woman and an under rated actress who will most likely end up doing a great job.
Old December 5 2013, 10:07 AM   #85
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Funny how there's an expectation among comics/genre fans that Wonder Woman should be very athletic / muscular when in the comics she has pretty much always had the same lingerie model body as every other super-heroine.
Old December 5 2013, 10:13 AM   #86
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Funny how there's an expectation among comics/genre fans that Wonder Woman should be very athletic / muscular when in the comics she has pretty much always had the same lingerie model body as every other super-heroine.
She's still been more or less shown to have some "body" and curves to her. Gal is a beautiful woman, but she's not Wonder Woman. Maybe if she gains about 30-pounds of muscle or something but, really, I just don't see it at all.
Old December 5 2013, 10:16 AM   #87
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

She's still been more or less shown to have some "body" and curves to her. Gal is a beautiful woman, but she's not Wonder Woman. Maybe if she gains about 30-pounds of muscle or something but, really, I just don't see it at all.
Adding 15 kilos of muscle does not add "curves" to a woman. And again, which was my point, Wonder Woman is not and has almost never portrayed as a muscular female bodybuilder. I expect her to look fit and slightly athletic, just like she does in the comics.
Old December 5 2013, 10:18 AM   #88
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Adding 15 kilos of muscle does not add "curves" to a woman. And again, which was my point, Wonder Woman is not and has almost never portrayed as a muscular female bodybuilder. I expect her to look fit and slightly athletic, just like she does in the comics.
Muscle was the wrong word there, but better option than "fat", still more weight on the woman would go a long way to giving her looks and curves of Wonder Woman who, yeah, while not always muscular (depending on the artist) at least has curves. And not arms/legs like toothpicks and the boobs of a 13-year-old girl.

Again, I think Gal is a gorgeous woman. She's just not Wonder Woman.
Old December 5 2013, 10:21 AM   #89
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

She looks like Wonder Woman to me.
Old December 5 2013, 10:30 AM   #90
Data Holmes
Admiral

She has plenty of curves in her Castro lingerie vid on YouTube. And just because she isn't rocking DD breasts, doesn't make her have the "tits of a 13 year old".