Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 26 2013, 05:09 PM   #706
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Yeah, 'The Power of Kroll' was not that good compared to the other three I was able to watch. It didn't even have K9!

Old November 27 2013, 06:18 AM   #707
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I have a question. Since tomorrow is the 50th anniversary, I feel like watching some stuff from the Doctor's I've never seen, so I'm wondering about something.

Can I watch The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors, just by themselves? I know that they have ties to the seasons they are in, but I'm just wondering if they work as stand alone episodes by viewers who haven't watched their era's.
They work fine. I hadn't seen more than a couple of Peter Davison stories when the Five Doctors first aired, but I knew from the magazines that the companions were Tegan and Turlough. My PBS station was going to airing their stories fairly soon, so I knew what I had to look forward to.

I figured that the Third's Doctor's exile couldn't be as boring as it sounded.
Some of the Third Doctor's stories are really excellent. I especially liked "Inferno" where the Doctor travels to a parallel universe and meets evil counterparts to the Brigadier, Liz Shaw, and the other UNIT regulars. The two Peladon stories were really enjoyable as well, although I still have to laugh when I think of that stupid "secret" passageway that pretty much everyone knew about!

I'm not sure if this is usually included in the Classic Who category, but because its pre 2005 I figure this is the place to mention it. I just watched the Doctor who movie. I thought it was ok. It had some problems, but nothing that ruined the story for me. Sure, having the Master call the Doctor half human (and having the Doctor confirm it later) was idiotic, but as I understand it the show just ignores those stupid comments, so its best just to ignore them. I don't know how the Master usually acts (I knew about him, but this is the first time I've seen him) but he seemed a bit melodramatic and overacting. Maybe that's normal for him, but he was a bit hard to take seriously at the end, especially with that pretty ridiculous costume. If he'd been a bit less weird and more threatening I could have ignored the costume, but as it is it was just weird.
The 1996 movie, plot-wise, was utterly moronic. It made zero sense, and I can't figure out why the Gallifreyans would make it necessary for humans to be the only ones who could look into the Eye of Harmony (something that was never part of the TARDIS before). And no, Eric Robertson's version of the Master is definitely NOT normal for him. I really got spoiled, watching Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainley play the Master. They did such wonderful portrayals of the Master as suave, debonair, charming, and utterly ruthless and evil.

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Started Doctor Who 'The Pirate Planet', a fourth Doctor story, this mornin' via Netflix Instant.

This is the second serial in the "Key to Time" series with the Doctor, Romana I & K9.
Pirate Planet is the first Doctor Who story I ever saw, and I have to admit, it was nearly the last. The only reason I kept watching was because I'd promised a friend to give the show an honest try. I found the next story, "The Stones of Blood" to be much better - I loved the character of Amelia Rumford!

od0_ital wrote: View Post
And now I've got Doctor Who 'The Power of Kroll' via Netflix Instant.

This is the last of the "Key to Time" stories with the fourth Doctor & Romana I available, since the next episode is 'City of Death', the one filmed in Paris with Romana II. And I've seen that one before when a buddy loaned me his DVD copy a few years back.
You should really try to find The Armageddon Factor (the last story in the Key to Time sequence). It's really well done, and you have both Romanas in it (although in this one Lalla Ward is playing Princess Astra, and when Romana regenerates in Destiny of the Daleks, she chooses to take on Princess Astra's physical likeness as her own).

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 01:50 AM   #708
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

The enemy of the world.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 02:16 AM   #709
MacLeod
Admiral

"The Time Monster"
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 02:32 AM   #710
diankra
Commodore

MacLeod wrote: View Post
"The Time Monster"
You can get therapy.
Actually, there's lots I love in it. It's just the whole is somehow awful despite that...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 02:43 AM   #711
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I just finished Terror of the Zygons. It was a pretty good story. The loch ness monster was really low budget but that actually made it entertaining in a goofy way. The octopus aliens looked ok, but I didn't like the filter on their voices, it got a bit difficult to listen to a few times. Harry has left The Doctor/Sarah after this story, so it will be interesting to see how it goes without him. I thought he was ok, but I don't really care that he's gone. Next up in my Fouth Doctor viewing, whenever I get to it, is Planet of Evil.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 02:49 AM   #712
Timewalker

Planet of Evil is a good one.

My favorite Sarah Jane story of that period is Masque of Mandragora.

Old November 28 2013, 03:04 AM   #713
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

diankra wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
"The Time Monster"
You can get therapy.
Actually, there's lots I love in it. It's just the whole is somehow awful despite that...
Yeah, the story is a mess but the Master and his interaction with the Doctor makes up for it. Plus, I like the student commune setting where the Doctor assembles some makeshift thing and the hermit story he tells Jo when they're imprisoned. Plus, Atlantis!
Old December 2 2013, 03:39 AM   #714
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I watched Planet of evil today. It wasn't very interesting. It had a nice space jungle set, and one or two good moments, but overall it just wasn't very entertaining, which is the first time I can say that about a Fourth Doctor serial since I started watching them. Hopefully Pyramid of Mars will be better.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 03:55 AM   #715
Timewalker

A lot of people like Pyramids of Mars. It's not one of my preferences, but to each their own.

Old December 2 2013, 05:00 PM   #716
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Watched Terror of the Zygons last night. About as good as a remember it but it suffers from a classic case of rubbish special effects. Pity because the episode two cliffhanger of The Doctor being chased by the Skarasen is a pretty cool idea ruined by the cheap effects. Nonetheless, it's always good to see The Brigadier, Sarah Jane, Harry, and Benton in action, especially in Scotland with lots of accents, kilts and bagpipes.

One possible error in regards to The Day of the Doctor: Broton tells The Doctor the reason for their invasion is because their homeworld was recently destroyed. Yet, that's exactly the same thing the Zygons are doing in The Day of the Doctor as a result of the Time War. Either the Zygons got a new homeworld or The Day of the Doctor retroactively made Terror of the Zygons a repercussion of the Time World and plays parallel to The Day of the Doctor.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 10:07 AM   #717
Lonemagpie
Writer

Day Of The Daleks Special Edition - actually the first time I've seen the story in four parts rather than the 90 minute VHS movie. Nice to hear it with proper Dalek voices!

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 10:14 AM   #718
Starkers
Admiral

Oh I hate those 90 minute videos, although at least the Who ones make some sense, the Blakes 7 ones on the other hand...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 03:14 AM   #719
diankra
Commodore

Starkers wrote: View Post
Oh I hate those 90 minute videos, although at least the Who ones make some sense, the Blakes 7 ones on the other hand...
Oh I remembver now. Blake's 7: The Beginning cut straight from Blake's trial to the start of episode two, didn't it, missing the next 30 minutes.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 09:10 AM   #720
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Day of the Daleks with the new dalek voices and new effects as well as the new extra filmed scenes, totally blown away by what they did here, it's just perfect in evey way yet it neve seems out of place.

Totally cracking dvd.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote