Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 4 2013, 08:01 PM   #16
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

I would have prefered whatshername from Thor, but hopefully Gal will work out fine.

I don't remember her at all in any of the Fast and Furious movies though.
Old December 4 2013, 08:02 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

In response to the people who think Ms. Gadot is frail and weak: She did a 2-year stint in the Israeli Army. Okay, she was a "sports trainer" in the army according to Wikipedia, so we're not exactly talking special forces, but I assume there was quite a physical fitness regimen nonetheless. And apparently she's successfully portrayed an action heroine in several of the Fast and Furious films.

The fact is, people don't have to be bulky to be strong. We've been brainwashed by bodybuilders and comic-book artists to assume that, but genuinely strong people, those whose muscles are for everyday use rather than display, are often quite wiry.

And yes, Wonder Woman is supposed to be 6'0", but then, Wolverine's supposed to be 5'3" and Hugh Jackman is a foot taller. And movies have been faking actors' and actresses' heights for generations.

Anyway, Ms. Gadot is 5'9", which is the same height as Jaimie Alexander, and half an inch shorter than Lynda Carter.

Written Worlds -- My blog

Last edited by Christopher; December 4 2013 at 08:13 PM.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 08:06 PM   #18
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Wonder Woman is often imagined as an all-American Lynda Carter type, so I'm glad they went for more of a Mediterranean look, which the character should have, in my opinion.

The actress needs to bulk up a bit, but that's not uncommon for these types of roles. As for height, films play around with that all the time (see: Tom Cruise). Not a big deal.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 08:08 PM   #19
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I can't look at this thread without reading it as "Gul" Gadot.

As for WW and who should play her: I dunno, how about Gabrielle Miller? She's Canadian, but I think she could pull it off.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 08:10 PM   #20
sojourner
Admiral

OK, googled some images from the FF movies, now I remember her character and her. Yeah, they might need to get her a weight trainer if they plan to use anything approaching the classic WW costume. Other than that, she had pretty good screen presence in those movies.

Look at this pic and you can imagine her as WW:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm36691340...f_=nmmd_md_nxt
Old December 4 2013, 08:15 PM   #21
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I'm really a bit surprised by this. This is less and less a direct sequel to MOS, on paper it seems, and more....something else entirely. Worlds Finest featuring WW? Trinity?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 08:21 PM   #22
davejames
Vice Admiral

Personally I'm glad they're going for a cuter Lynda Carter-style WW for this. I've never really cared for the bulkier female wrestler-style WW who seemed to be completely lacking in any of the charm and personality that Carter brought to the role.

Plus it's just a lot more fun watching a normal looking girl kick ass than someone who looks like she does it for a living.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 08:22 PM   #23
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Ríu ríu, chíu wrote: View Post
That would instantly make the movie 100 times more awesome

davejames wrote: View Post
Personally I'm glad they're going for a cuter Lynda Carter-style WW for this. I've never really cared for the bulkier female wrestler-style WW who seemed to be completely lacking in any of the charm and personality that Carter brought to the role.

Plus it's just a lot more fun watching a normal looking girl kick ass than someone who looks like she does it for a living.

I have a season of Lynda carter's WW (the third season). While watching almost any episode, if you see WW for more than 2 minutes combined, you're extremely lucky, and Lynda Carter is never the main character. It's always either Steve Trevor, or a "man of the week" who appears for one episode and does almost everything story and action related before leaving and never being seen again. Funnily enough, I could see the movie going like that. she shows up, has a cameo punches something, and then just kind of leaves. She really needs her own movie, preferably one where she gets to be the main character.

As for her appearance, Lynda Carter isn't a very good WW, but she's still better than this person from a strictly physical perspective. At least Carter never looked like she was about to blow over in a breeze, some of those Galdot pics make her look like someone about to die of starvation
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 08:28 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

Better than if it were "Gal Godot." Then you'd sit through the whole movie and she'd never show up!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 08:41 PM   #25
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

No comment really on what I think of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. That's going to depend entirely on what I see on screen.

I'm glad they appear to be going forward into JL territory. With live Young Justice apparently coming, I have to wonder whether the characters from both that and Arrow will be set in the same universe as this film. So far, there's been no character who appears in one who's cast differently in any other, and (edit - presumably except for Speedy) the roster of main characters in the YJ cartoon doesn't overlap with either Arrow so far or what we know of SuperBats.

Last edited by CorporalCaptain; December 4 2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: clarification
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 08:47 PM   #26
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Coach Comet wrote: View Post
With live Young Justice apparently coming, I have to wonder whether the characters from both that and Arrow will be set in the same universe as this film.
They look set to have a different Flash in the movie, so I don't think there's any overlap.

- Homer Simpson
Old December 4 2013, 08:49 PM   #27
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
With live Young Justice apparently coming, I have to wonder whether the characters from both that and Arrow will be set in the same universe as this film.
They look set to have a different Flash in the movie, so I don't think there's any overlap.
Wait what who? The Flash has been cast for this film?
Old December 4 2013, 08:57 PM   #28
Agent Richard07
Admiral

She looks like she'll fit the part well enough. I'm not overly excited but I'm not displeased either.

Gojira wrote: View Post
the movie is getting awfully crowded!
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
This is less and less a direct sequel to MOS, on paper it seems, and more....something else entirely.
Agreed. Not good.

Anwar wrote: View Post
We don't know how big a role Diana has in the film, it might just be a minor role.
I hope so.

davejames wrote: View Post
Can't say I remember her much from the F&F films...
I saw all the films a few months ago and my memory of her is pretty vague too.

Christopher wrote: View Post
And yes, Wonder Woman is supposed to be 6'0"...
Last I heard, she was 5'11. It varies from era to era it seems.

Ríu ríu, chíu wrote: View Post
When I first saw the thread title, I thought it said "Gul Dukat".
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 09:05 PM   #29
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
I worry about her height at only 5'9 she will be dwarfed by Cavill and Affleck. Not what I picture when I picture WW. She will also need to hit the gym more than a little.
She's 2" taller than Tom Cruise and you notice how people don't seem to tower over him in films?

Christopher wrote: View Post

The fact is, people don't have to be bulky to be strong. We've been brainwashed by bodybuilders and comic-book artists to assume that, but genuinely strong people, those whose muscles are for everyday use rather than display, are often quite wiry.
Plus these are people with Super-strength completely unconnected with the size of their muscles...
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 09:13 PM   #30
CaptainCanada
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Wait what who? The Flash has been cast for this film?
No, there hasn't been casting news yet, but he's going to be in it.

- Homer Simpson