Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old November 29 2013, 11:02 PM   #1
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

CBS Developing 2 New Treks?

http://callthecops.net/cbs-developin...on_object_map=[567190653369755]&action_type_map=[%22og.likes%22]&action_ref_map=[]
Old November 29 2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Re: CBS Developing 2 New Treks?

First: pretty thin first post with just a link and no substance.
Second: Not buying it.
Third: That starship picture is a Cryptic Original from Star Trek Online, a variant of the Prometheus class.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 11:14 PM   #3
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

Fair is fair.

According to this website CBS is developing two new Trek series. One would be a futuristic CSI-esque show, the other a medical show. The photo associated is just of some random ship from VOY I think.

In theory this would be scheduled in 2014.
Old November 29 2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Discussed and debunked.
Old November 30 2013, 12:55 AM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

*cough*BULLSHIT*cough*

Websites making things up to drive traffic to their sites.
Old November 30 2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

^ That.
Old November 30 2013, 03:50 AM   #7
SeerSGB
Admiral

To repeat myself: The site is a satire site. An Onion type site base around first responders

This site is a satire of the current state of Law Enforcement, Fire Fighting and Emergency Medical work. Stories posted here are not real and you should not assume them to have any basis in any real fact.
It's a fake.

I would have thought the STO ship in the image being billed as the "new ship" would have been a big clue.

Wonder how long is this going to take to die out before fans stop buying this? Star Trek fandom has gotten really easy to troll with fake news.
Old December 2 2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

You mean Captain Worf isn't coming either?
Old December 3 2013, 12:42 AM   #9
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

If it pleases the court, defense would like to present Exhibit A, a sound bite from JJ Abrams himself in an interview with Entertainment Weekly about his forthcoming television series Almost Human:

EW: Since Marvel launched Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., is there a chance of a Star Trek TV show? Or will they continue not making a new series as long as there are movies in the pipeline?
JJ Abrams: I have been hearing for as long as I can remember that CBS, who has the rights to the series, has just been saying they’re not interested. That’s the word I’ve been told. [A CBS Studios rep replied: "We love the Star Trek franchise, its fan base and the many possibilities for its future when the time is right."]
Further elaborated upon here. (19 November 2013)

Exhibit B: CBS has control over whether new series will be made, which frustrated JJ Abrams and is a likely contributing factor to his leaving Star Trek for Disney's upcoming "Star Wars VII" project. (15 May 2013)

So, unless there's some news that has come up since that interview on the 19th, or I'm just being super arrogant in not bothering to read the rest of this thread, I doubt there will be a TV series anytime soon.

Summary judgment: It ain't gonna happen. Court is adjourned. You may now return to spamming, flaming and trolling.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 09:48 PM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
CBS has control over whether new series will be made, which frustrated JJ Abrams and is a likely contributing factor to his leaving Star Trek for Disney's upcoming "Star Wars VII" project. (15 May 2013)
Abrams doesn't own Trek. He was always playing with someone else's toys. Paramount gave him more or less a blank check with the movies, but that's as far as it goes.

As far as why Abrams left directing Trek for Star Wars, I think that's just a case of him having always been a really big Star Wars fan (even before he came to Trek), and it was too tempting a gig to pass up.
Old December 4 2013, 01:11 AM   #11
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I never stated that Abrams owned Star Trek. Your supposition aside, did you even read the articles I linked to?

They explicity state that Abrams wanted to launch a multiplatform of content, including in television with the Star Trek brand, which he was unable to do because CBS was dragging its heels and playing carrot with him. Disney, which owns Star Wars now, through and through, can actually deliver on that promise which is likely a major contributing factor to Abrams' departure.
Old December 4 2013, 06:23 AM   #12
Lord Garth
Captain

In regards to the title thread and/or link that I haven't clicked on, "CBS Developing A New Trek" would've at least sounded plausible.

It seems to me like there's some degree of bad blood between CBS and JJ Abrams. I wouldn't put it passed JJ Abrams to be cynical and to have sour grapes. I also wouldn't put it passed CBS to want to develop their own version of Star Trek. I could buy into it.

CBS wanting to develop two series? Not so much.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 10:03 AM   #13
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I never stated that Abrams owned Star Trek. Your supposition aside, did you even read the articles I linked to?
Did you actually read the post I wrote? It didn't matter what Abrams wanted or what his feelings were. CBS is in the driver's seat when it comes to Trek on the TV front, not Abrams nor Paramount.

Lord Garth wrote:
It seems to me like there's some degree of bad blood between CBS and JJ Abrams. I wouldn't put it passed JJ Abrams to be cynical and to have sour grapes.
There was--and apparently presumably still is--some long bad blood between CBS and Viacom (owner of Paramount Pictures), and it was one of the reasons the two companies went their separate ways nearly a decade ago. There's bound to be disagreements when someone wants CBS to do something with Trek it really doesn't want to do.
Old December 4 2013, 10:30 AM   #14
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Did you actually read the post I wrote? It didn't matter what Abrams wanted or what his feelings were. CBS is in the driver's seat when it comes to Trek on the TV front, not Abrams nor Paramount.
I never suggested he did. All I did was point out that Abrams was likely able to find a deal and setup more in line with what his ultimate goals were for the franchise at Disney with Star Wars than what Paramount coudl offer with Star Trek.

Not really seeing why this is so unclear.
Old December 4 2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

CBS has no interest in returning Trek to the small screen, and honestly until either Les Moonves leaves or CBS takes NBC's 4th place crown away and becomes the low-man on the totem pole, I don't see such changing.

And as much as I love trek, I'm also terrified of what a new show might be, and so for the foreseeable future, I'm happy to be without it simply to prevent it from being further diminished.

And that's not a total swipe at the Abrams films -- they serve a valid purpose of bringing new fans in, I've seen it first hand. I just find them lacking in substance and quality and so I'm glad they're only a single film every few years rather than a series or some such. You know?

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote