Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old December 2 2013, 01:46 AM   #61
Lance
Commodore

Re: Happy 19th Birthday, Star Trek Generations!

The Nexus is a very artifical way to "bring the generations" (ie, Kirk and Picard) together.

Personally, I'd have prefered it if the Kirk and Picard strains of the plot had remained almost entirely seperate, but linked only in that they are each maybe facing the same problem 78 years apart. But then I also think people might have been disappointed with a movie that has Kirk and Picard in it, but doesn't actually see them interact with each other directly on screen. Unless somewhere near the end of the movie the ability for them to contact each other through time was established? Then again, it still wouldn't be seeing the two guys 'together' on-screen, would it, if their contact was limited to being over the view-screen.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 01:51 AM   #62
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Have the villain exist outside linear time, tell Kirk's and Picard's story parallel, and when they both attack the bad guy's time machine homebase, both timelines meet. Both Enterprises exist and fight together, and Kirk and Picard can shake hands before destroying the time machine.

Similar to when all ships meet in All Good Things. But then people would have shouted “Ripoff!“
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 07:23 AM   #63
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

^ During the Generations commentary, I believe Braga and Moore said that the original idea fro Generations was to do a retelling of "Yesterday's Enterprise". However they were concerned that people would complain about the unoriginality of redoing an episode for the big screen.

@Lance: I had a similar idea for Generations. It would've been so cool to tell a film that way. However the mandates from Paramount were pretty strict on what THEY wanted to see in the film. It's unfortunate.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 07:47 AM   #64
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I didn't know this old cassette existed. If I ever did, I forgot long ago.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 09:54 AM   #65
Saul
Rear Admiral

Christ, do we need to be reminded how old we're getting? 19 years...jez...
Old December 2 2013, 12:41 PM   #66
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Think that's something? ST:TMP is about to turn 34 in a few short days. "The Cage" was originally filmed 49 years ago this past week.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 01:57 PM   #67
Khan 2.0
Captain

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
^ During the Generations commentary, I believe Braga and Moore said that the original idea fro Generations was to do a retelling of "Yesterday's Enterprise". However they were concerned that people would complain about the unoriginality of redoing an episode for the big screen.

@Lance: I had a similar idea for Generations. It would've been so cool to tell a film that way. However the mandates from Paramount were pretty strict on what THEY wanted to see in the film. It's unfortunate.
I think most fans (and even non fans) wre kind of expecting something like YE to be the crossover movie. i remember seeing what mustve been the first pics from Generations in a sf mag of Kirk on the bridge and being totally blown away….id not been following Trek after VI thinking that was it for the original crew (id lost track of TNG and had no interest in DS9) and had no idea they were making another movie (think they were just calling it ‘Star Trek VII’ at that point) let alone one with the original cast and TNG so i immediatly thought it was going to be “Yesterdays Enterprise” done big as the brief article stated time travel was involved and in the pic Shatner looked to be on the Ent A bridge. Even The teaser trailer actually looked like it was going to be abit YE
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 02:01 PM   #68
Khan 2.0
Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
The Nexus is a very artifical way to "bring the generations" (ie, Kirk and Picard) together.

Personally, I'd have prefered it if the Kirk and Picard strains of the plot had remained almost entirely seperate, but linked only in that they are each maybe facing the same problem 78 years apart. But then I also think people might have been disappointed with a movie that has Kirk and Picard in it, but doesn't actually see them interact with each other directly on screen. Unless somewhere near the end of the movie the ability for them to contact each other through time was established? Then again, it still wouldn't be seeing the two guys 'together' on-screen, would it, if their contact was limited to being over the view-screen.
yes it couldve been a Godfather Part II-style film intercutting the two generations dealing with the same macguffin in their eras like the Federation novel from 1994. Plus, potentially, Spock, McCoy and Scotty could have appeared in both eras.
Old December 2 2013, 02:21 PM   #69
Trek Survivor
Captain

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
It wasn't just Paramount that wanted the two captains to meet. That's all the fandom was talking about. Sure, with hindsight we can look at other options as 'preferable' but at the time, fans would've been outraged if Shatner and Stewart had not shared a decent-ish amount of screen time together.
Old December 3 2013, 04:22 PM   #70
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

This is the first Trek movie that I saw in the theatre, and its weird to imagine how long ago it was, and that I was only 9 years old!
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 03:09 AM   #71
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
It wasn't just Paramount that wanted the two captains to meet. That's all the fandom was talking about.
I'm pretty sure the fans had something other in mind than the two captains buttering toast together.
Old December 4 2013, 11:17 AM   #72
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^Like... riding horses??
Old December 4 2013, 11:36 AM   #73
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Generations should've been a TNG movie, all the way - without Shatner's involvement and his self-serving inclusions and rewrites! I found out, only recently in fact, because of this "birthday," that in the novelisation (or a novelisation) the Nexus is nothing more than a whimsical Q creation, which was left carelessly discarded and forgotten about. Hateful, how lazy writers can be. Despite it's many and obvious shortcomings, Generations at least tries to entertain - and the TNG cast looks great!
Old December 4 2013, 01:18 PM   #74
Khan 2.0
Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
It wasn't just Paramount that wanted the two captains to meet. That's all the fandom was talking about.
I'm pretty sure the fans had something other in mind than the two captains buttering toast together.
quote from Branga
“I think that Kirk and Picard should have been locked in battle on spaceships, on their respective bridges, and not cooking eggs.”
Old December 4 2013, 01:20 PM   #75
Khan 2.0
Captain

GEN Yestedays Enterprise style trailers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOi0NT-c1Ig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHaTC0aUu-Q

Last edited by Khan 2.0; December 4 2013 at 02:24 PM.