RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,682
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 746
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old December 2 2013, 08:42 PM   #16
Robert D. Robot
Captain

Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

This service could pose a dilemma for some of the government-fearing Prepper-types.... having a drone deliver the ammo that they've purchased on line!
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 09:18 PM   #17
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

^^^ The real question isn't when or if these drones will deliver your packages but how Bezos got 60 minutes to broadcast for free a 15 minute info-mercial for Amazon the night before Cyber Monday?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 11:38 PM   #18
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Tribble puncher wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Operation "This Will Likely End Badly" is a go, apparently.

Never mind the obvious things, like bad weather and noise. What happens if one of these things gets 1) shot at, 2) stolen, or 3) crashes into somebody's house? The liability issues alone would be off the charts.

At least human drivers have some discretion over where they leave packages. If they consider a house or neighborhood unsafe or insecure, they won't leave the package. A drone can't do that, obviously.
everything you said I thought....

Expanding on that. How about dogs and someone stealing the drone.

My first thought was bad weather too. Rough winds will send your package and the drone crashing into the trees.
Old December 3 2013, 12:13 AM   #19
astarguy
Ensign

drones can fly in bad weather just like planes do. and as for dogs and other issues like that not everyone will be able to get their package like that. and like it was said in an earlier post if you order something that you are expecting in 30 minutes you are most likely going to be looking for what ever is delivering it. think pizza or was that so 70's? i am just gettin old i guess.
astarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 02:11 AM   #20
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Also, what happens when some kid grabs hold of a drone, and it takes off with the kid holding on to it?

astarguy wrote: View Post
drones can fly in bad weather just like planes do.
But planes are much larger than the drones we're talking about, and thus would seem to be less prone to being tossed about by weather.

"Set phasers tae malky!"

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; December 3 2013 at 04:10 AM.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 06:10 AM   #21
Kestra
Vice Admiral

You guys are such negative nellies. Yes, there are concerns, but it's not like some five year old came up with this and they just decided to run with it! And some of the concerns listed here are just ridiculous. I love the way Amazon looks to the future instead of just staying put.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 08:26 AM   #22
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I'll be impressed when I start seeing this:

Seriously, though, I hope this works out for them. If it means faster deliveries, with less congestion, fuel consumption, and such, then I'm all for it.

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 04:15 PM   #23
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I wanna order some pigs using this service, cause, well, you know...
Old December 3 2013, 06:37 PM   #24
RobertVA
Fleet Captain

Also, what happens when some kid grabs hold of a drone, and it takes off with the kid holding on to it?

But planes are much larger than the drones we're talking about, and thus would seem to be less prone to being tossed about by weather.
Planes are able to fly when the visibility is low because the government has mapped out the tall buildings, antennas and terrain. Aviation maps are divided into rectangles which indicate an altitude above which planes can rely on not colliding with anything but birds and other aircraft. Pilots have to submit their routes to government traffic controllers ahead of time and follow controller directions to prevent collisions with other aircraft.

Planes still have maximum wind conditions for landing and takeoff, which are usually lower for aircraft that hover or fly at lower speeds to take off and land. Many jets have to travel at speeds comparable to those on stock car tracks to stay aloft. Additional problems would occur in the eddies downwind of obstructions like buildings and trees.

To leave packages in front of residences these drones would be descending into the space occupied by things like buildings, trees, flagpoles, fences, overhead utility wires and pedestrians. Many of these things aren't going to be plotted out on maps and may have changed since the last time the street view car drove by.
RobertVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 06:41 PM   #25
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

RobertVA wrote: View Post

Planes are able to fly when the visibility is low because the government has mapped out the tall buildings, antennas and terrain. Aviation maps are divided into rectangles which indicate an altitude above which planes can rely on not colliding with anything but birds and other aircraft. Pilots have to submit their routes to government traffic controllers ahead of time and follow controller directions to prevent collisions with other aircraft.

To leave packages in front of residences these drones would be descending into the space occupied by things like buildings, trees, flagpoles, fences, overhead utility wires and pedestrians. Many of these things aren't going to be plotted out on maps and may have changed since the last time the street view car drove by.
While true, the drones could be fitted with infared or other alternative sensors for close-in navigation that can see through clouds.

Or they could simply discontinue drone delivery in bad weather. It doesn't have to be an always-on service.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 05:00 PM   #26
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

^^ While Amazon sold 60 Minutes a Pie in the sky infomerical the day before Cyber Monday, Google is working on a real world delivery solution - Robots:

NY Times
PALO ALTO, Calif. — In an out-of-the-way Google office, two life-size humanoid robots hang suspended in a corner. If Amazon can imagine delivering books by drones, is it too much to think that Google might be planning to one day have one of the robots hop off an automated Google Car and race to your doorstep to deliver a package? Google executives acknowledge that robotic vision is a “moonshot.” But it appears to be more realistic than Amazon’s proposed drone delivery service, which Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s chief executive, revealed in a television interview the evening before one of the biggest online shopping days of the year.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 03:15 PM   #27
Irishman
Fleet Captain

And now, the drone battle is well and truly joined. I present for your consideration the drone-hacking drone:

http://rt.com/news/hacker-drone-aircraft-parrot-704/
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2013, 03:16 PM   #28
Irishman
Fleet Captain

Santa Hooves wrote: View Post
I'll be impressed when I start seeing this:

Seriously, though, I hope this works out for them. If it means faster deliveries, with less congestion, fuel consumption, and such, then I'm all for it.
When we have this, I'm going to have an android get out of the autonomous car, and deliver me a Roomba to my door.

Last edited by Irishman; December 5 2013 at 04:24 PM.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote