Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: So what did you think?
Brilliant: Geronimo. 188 77.69%
Very Good: Bow Ties are Cool! 38 15.70%
Ok: Come along Ponds. 10 4.13%
Passable: Fish Fingers and Custard. 5 2.07%
Terrible: Who da man? 1 0.41%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 2 2013, 04:34 PM   #601
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Christopher wrote: View Post
The whole point of this, anyway, is that the storyline was not changed -- that everything the Doctor has personally, emotionally gone through over the past seven seasons is still a part of his history. The whole thing was structured to preserve that emotional arc rather than altering it.
In the main, I agree with this. However, the title of the painting, Gallifrey Falls No More would seem to suggest that history had changed because "No More" suggests that it orginally had fallen.

But, agree, and I think it was brilliant, because it totally recast what we and the Doctor thought we knew. Changed the future course of the character and show without changing what we saw in previous seasons.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 04:37 PM   #602
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
The whole point of this, anyway, is that the storyline was not changed -- that everything the Doctor has personally, emotionally gone through over the past seven seasons is still a part of his history. The whole thing was structured to preserve that emotional arc rather than altering it.
In the main, I agree with this. However, the title of the painting, Gallifrey Falls No More would seem to suggest that history had changed because "No More" suggests that it orginally had fallen.

But, agree, and I think it was brilliant, because it totally recast what we and the Doctor thought we knew. Changed the future course of the character and show without changing what we saw in previous seasons.

Mr Awe
When I was finally able to take in the episode I stroked my beard and said "Very clever Mr. Moffat. Very clever indeed."
Old December 2 2013, 05:14 PM   #603
Christopher
Writer

PorthosShadow wrote: View Post
I would be all for this if it were just a one-off thing and not part of the official cannon of either ST or DW. It would be a lot of fun to see The Doctor in Star Trek.
Then you'll be pleased to see this:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star..._Assimilation²

Or, from a more Who-centric perspective:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Assimilation²

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 05:22 PM   #604
Saul
Rear Admiral

The whole point of this, anyway, is that the storyline was not changed -- that everything the Doctor has personally, emotionally gone through over the past seven seasons is still a part of his history. The whole thing was structured to preserve that emotional arc rather than altering it. So all this quibbling over whether history was physically changed is beside the point.
The point of the argument is not how it serves the story. It is simply to establish if this was what always happened or if this was a timeline that was changed. We all know that it preserves the Doctor's emotional arc so lets get back to the point we were discussing...

No, it suggests that he'll forget that he found an alternative.
I disagree. I think it suggests he'll only remember the original timeline event and not the newly formed one.
Old December 2 2013, 05:38 PM   #605
Christopher
Writer

Saul wrote: View Post
The point of the argument is not how it serves the story. It is simply to establish if this was what always happened or if this was a timeline that was changed. We all know that it preserves the Doctor's emotional arc so lets get back to the point we were discussing...
That's just it -- I don't want to. This has reached the point where it's clear neither side is going to be convinced, so any further debate will just be circular restatements of what's already been said, accomplishing nothing. So I'd rather step back and change the subject than escalate for no reason.

Old December 2 2013, 05:43 PM   #606
Saul
Rear Admiral

Not my intention to escalate anything. This is the internet. We debate this stuff all the time. But that's fine with me.

If anyone else wants to join in with this debate or has another point to bring up that I overlooked or some interview with the Moff that explains which is right then please do!
Old December 2 2013, 06:41 PM   #607
MacLeod
Admiral

Mr Awe
Perhaps but the painting could orginally have been known as Gallifrey Falls, at some point after the events of TDOTD it got changed to Gallifrey Falls No More.

For example the Doctor (post TDTOD) vistis a musem and is told the picture is called Gallifrey Falls, and he could say "No More. Gallifrey Falls No More"
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 07:22 PM   #608
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
What was his outline? ^
Basically it involved the TARDIS somehow getting aboard the Enterprise and the Doctor having no choice but to work with the crew despite his apprehensions about an obviously military outfit claiming to be "peaceful explorers."
Of course this would make the Starfleet is not a military fans heads explode
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 07:53 PM   #609
Saul
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
What was his outline? ^
Basically it involved the TARDIS somehow getting aboard the Enterprise and the Doctor having no choice but to work with the crew despite his apprehensions about an obviously military outfit claiming to be "peaceful explorers."
Of course this would make the Starfleet is not a military fans heads explode
I'm sure some other sci-fi show has done something like this before. A starfleet type crew but they were more scavengers selling what they found in space. Was a slight parody on trek.
Old December 2 2013, 08:29 PM   #610
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post

Mr Awe
Perhaps but the painting could orginally have been known as Gallifrey Falls, at some point after the events of TDOTD it got changed to Gallifrey Falls No More.

For example the Doctor (post TDTOD) vistis a musem and is told the picture is called Gallifrey Falls, and he could say "No More. Gallifrey Falls No More"
Yes, this is what I was saying. However, I do think the preponderance of the evidence suggests that the timeline wasn't changed.

Mr Awe
Old December 2 2013, 08:54 PM   #611
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Gallifrey falling in another timeline doesn't mean that it was changed by the Doctor here. There's a reason it's called the time war, and time locks or no time locks, I am sure it has fallen in multiple timelines yet to be explored for centuries in multiple future shows.

That being said, it's clear that "Gallifrey Falls No More" is intended to be read literally – it was falling because of the attack of the Daleks, and the attack was cleverly prevented. "No more" refers to a first grade future, untainted by time travel and meta-time, and "falls" refers to the present state of falling that ceased. How you'd interpret it is a whole different story, of course.

But beware, the showrunners will be more inventive than you. Your interpretation of it will always be false, authors are more crazy.
Old December 2 2013, 10:02 PM   #612
MacLeod
Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post

Mr Awe

Yes, this is what I was saying. However, I do think the preponderance of the evidence suggests that the timeline wasn't changed.

Mr Awe
Perhaps I should have been clearer.

You said "In the main, I agree with this. However, the title of the painting, Gallifrey Falls No More would seem to suggest that history had changed because "No More" suggests that it orginally had fallen."

I was trying to point out that just because the paintings name changed doesn't mean history was changed. As far as the universe was concerned Gallifrey fell, It's name could have been corrected after the events of TDOTD, So at some point in his future timeline the Dcotor could travel back in time to a period were it was believed Gallifrey had fallen, and make a comment "No More" based on his past.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 10:39 PM   #613
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ No, if the name of the painting changed then by definition the history changed because the name of the painting is part of history.

But, it's not really a big deal to me. The two titles being combined into one was probably more for fun and interest than a true plot point. The story had been resolved by that point.

Mr Awe
Old December 2 2013, 10:51 PM   #614
Christopher
Writer

The name of the painting didn't change, it was just misreported. People thought the two halves of the phrase were alternate titles, when in fact they were a single continuous title.

Indeed, perhaps the true title was deliberately misreported (by the Curator?) in order to conceal Gallifrey's survival from the universe at large. It's amazing how much you can mislead people just by nuancing how you report something.

Old December 2 2013, 10:53 PM   #615
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

There's clear evidence that suggests that history has changed. Among them, the Gallifrey painting that originally only had the War Doctor, but afterwards had the Tenth and Eleventh in them, so as to get out of the painting and return to present day.

Really, there's nothing conclusive to suggest that time hasn't changed. In fact, the most accurate thing to say is, that there's evidence to both sides.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote