RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,238
Posts: 5,438,687
Members: 24,958
Currently online: 559
Newest member: greatmovies

TrekToday headlines

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 2 2013, 03:52 AM   #1
Snaploud
Admiral
 
Snaploud's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4369685.html

Interesting stuff. There's a cool video in the link. Their big concern is getting FAA approval, but Bezos is hoping to have this service in place in 4-5 years.

Edit: Here are more details from the WashingtonPost.com:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s-with-drones/

Last edited by Snaploud; December 2 2013 at 04:30 AM.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 04:54 AM   #2
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

Operation "This Will Likely End Badly" is a go, apparently.

Never mind the obvious things, like bad weather and noise. What happens if one of these things gets 1) shot at, 2) stolen, or 3) crashes into somebody's house? The liability issues alone would be off the charts.

At least human drivers have some discretion over where they leave packages. If they consider a house or neighborhood unsafe or insecure, they won't leave the package. A drone can't do that, obviously.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Tribble puncher
Commander
 
Tribble puncher's Avatar
 
Location: Lexington, KY
Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Operation "This Will Likely End Badly" is a go, apparently.

Never mind the obvious things, like bad weather and noise. What happens if one of these things gets 1) shot at, 2) stolen, or 3) crashes into somebody's house? The liability issues alone would be off the charts.

At least human drivers have some discretion over where they leave packages. If they consider a house or neighborhood unsafe or insecure, they won't leave the package. A drone can't do that, obviously.
everything you said I thought....
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 07:41 AM   #4
Kronos
Admiral
 
Kronos's Avatar
 
Location: Running with the Badgers
Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

How long until UPS or FedEX deploy missiles to shoot these down?
__________________
Now I can breathe and I feel grace rush over me.
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 08:49 AM   #5
PurpleBuddha
Rear Admiral
 
PurpleBuddha's Avatar
 
Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

Tribble puncher wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Operation "This Will Likely End Badly" is a go, apparently.

Never mind the obvious things, like bad weather and noise. What happens if one of these things gets 1) shot at, 2) stolen, or 3) crashes into somebody's house? The liability issues alone would be off the charts.

At least human drivers have some discretion over where they leave packages. If they consider a house or neighborhood unsafe or insecure, they won't leave the package. A drone can't do that, obviously.
everything you said I thought....
These drone deliveries would very likely be statistically more safe than drivers delivering the same packages. That of course would not stop the bad press that would follow any such accident.

For theft, I suppose the camera in the drone along with gps would deter many people, but this would be a real issue. I imagine some people could get quite skilled at poaching these packages, the same way they currently do with traditional deliveries. It would be an on going issue.

However, Amazon could take the risk. Part of the service will likely involve a small insurance fee built into the cost of 30 minute air delivery. Since Amazon will know via gps if the package made it or not they would know if you needed to be reimbursed for a failure. They may even have gps tracking software planned where you could watch a little line on your monitor as it shows the real time position of your package en route your house.

The instincts of the driver aren't a big concern. If you are ordering 30 minute service you are more likely to get your package right as it is set down at your door. If it sits there for half the day or even a couple hours as is common with normal deliveries, that would be more risky even in a "nice" neighborhood.

Edit to add: Given how big a factor the wind alone would be, never mind other weather types, the availability of this service would be significantly limited until such a time that the tech is vastly improved.
PurpleBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Metryq
Captain
 
Metryq's Avatar
 
Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

PurpleBuddha wrote: View Post
If you are ordering 30 minute service you are more likely to get your package right as it is set down at your door.
My thoughts, exactly, concerning "theft." In the same vein, how many pizzas sit around on a doorstep, even in a good neighborhood, for several hours?

How many people will be injured by trying to approach the drone as it descends?

I live in a very small town, and our cable access station is equally very small. While considering new equipment, one of the board members suggested a quad-copter with camera to get some exotic shots of the Memorial Day parade, kids' field games, etc. Fly over crowds? The idea was quickly shot down on insurance arguments.

One more thought: What's the weight limit on that service?

Edit: 60 MINUTES exclusive, hmmm. Prided as a serious news show, the program is also a "magazine" format. This "news" is nothing less than free advertising for Amazon.
__________________
"No, I better not look. I just might be in there."
—Foghorn Leghorn, Little Boy Boo

Last edited by Metryq; December 2 2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: journalists for sale
Metryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 01:28 PM   #7
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...
 
THE Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Robert Maxwell
View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

Metryq wrote: View Post
One more thought: What's the weight limit on that service?
You know, all you had to do was read the HuffPo article to learn that. They're looking at delivering packages of up to 5 pounds, which apparently represents most of their orders.

It's too early in all this to start poopooing as-yet-unseen technology. Amazon's not stupid. I'm sure they are taking all the noted concerns into account, as well as concerns no one here has voiced. Amazon hires a lot of smart people, you know.

It may be successful, it may not. It really depends on how well they can mitigate any risks, and whether they can get government approval to fly little drones all over the place.
__________________
Publishing all the news that's not fit to print, FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE!!!!
I has a blag.
THE Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Metryq
Captain
 
Metryq's Avatar
 
Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Metryq wrote: View Post
One more thought: What's the weight limit on that service?
You know, all you had to do was read the HuffPo article to learn that.
Forgive me. I read a shorter blurb on the story from another site.
__________________
"No, I better not look. I just might be in there."
—Foghorn Leghorn, Little Boy Boo
Metryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 03:22 PM   #9
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

35% of Americans live in apartment buildings of which 44% represent more than 5 units. Apartment dwelling soars among people under 30 to over 40% as well. I'm not sure what Amazon's demos are - who's buying - and in what cities - but this plan seems costly and far fetched considering it's impratical for so many of their customers;

Stats on apartment rentals and general housing demos
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 03:26 PM   #10
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...
 
THE Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Robert Maxwell
View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

I live in an apartment building, and I assure you it's not hard to get packages delivered. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.
__________________
Publishing all the news that's not fit to print, FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE!!!!
I has a blag.
THE Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 03:28 PM   #11
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I live in an apartment building, and I assure you it's not hard to get packages delivered. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.
Doesn't Fed Ex or other delivery companies place the package inside a common hallway? A drone wouldn't perform such a task.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 03:31 PM   #12
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...
 
THE Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Robert Maxwell
View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

We are talking about communication-enabled drones here. What, a drone can't just text you, "I'm outside, please come get your package" and hover for a few minutes?

Use your imaginations, people.
__________________
Publishing all the news that's not fit to print, FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE!!!!
I has a blag.
THE Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 04:12 PM   #13
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

The noise these things would surely generate would be all the alert you'd need that they're out there.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 05:16 PM   #14
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
We are talking about communication-enabled drones here. What, a drone can't just text you, "I'm outside, please come get your package" and hover for a few minutes?

Use your imaginations, people.
I got it. I'm just not seeing how this could work in a urban enivornment like Los Angeles or New York. These drones have the potential of being distracting to drivers and even pedestrians when you get into densely populated areas.

I'll give Bezos credit for thinking ahead and potentially re-creating Amazon's business model from 24 hour delivery to virtually instant delivery.

I dunno man - most shit that I need in 30 minutes or less I'd get in the car instead and buy.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 06:52 PM   #15
PurpleBuddha
Rear Admiral
 
PurpleBuddha's Avatar
 
Re: Amazon Prime Air Delivery Drones Revealed By CEO Jeff Bezos

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
We are talking about communication-enabled drones here. What, a drone can't just text you, "I'm outside, please come get your package" and hover for a few minutes?

Use your imaginations, people.
I got it. I'm just not seeing how this could work in a urban enivornment like Los Angeles or New York. These drones have the potential of being distracting to drivers and even pedestrians when you get into densely populated areas.

I'll give Bezos credit for thinking ahead and potentially re-creating Amazon's business model from 24 hour delivery to virtually instant delivery.

I dunno man - most shit that I need in 30 minutes or less I'd get in the car instead and buy.
And if this takes off in a way that works (that is a big if), people will fall in love with this convenience. It will become another part of society, and we will all get to reminisce about how the neighborhood sky used to be drone free, with drones mainly being used only to kill people or spy....the way it should be.
PurpleBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.