TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 23 2013, 04:09 PM   #31
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Re: Fast & Furious 7 - Lucas Black returns to franchise

Of course people are drawn to Robin Hood type characters, people living their dream on the edge of life etc. This isn't something new.

Heck.. people were fans of Walter White in Breaking Bad (myself included) and even though he became more and more guilty and unhinged as the show progressed people still found it in themselves to like him and forgive his actions (not counting that Walter started off as a Meth cook which in itself is pretty much appalling and Dominic Toretto is basically a petty thief to fund his lifestyle).

They are the bad boys who flaunt authority, give them the middle finger and live life "on their terms" which is something many of want to do but we are realistic enough to know that most of us would fail and in extreme cases would end up dead (heck.. driving like those guys in the movies would kill about 95% of regular drivers).

It is a fun movie series full of cool dudes and dudettes, awesome cars, music and stunts with huge logic and plotholes but it's the type of movie where you can turn off your brain (in fact it's mandatory) and enjoy it for 2 hours at a time.

And because of this i love this movie series and strangely enough it gets better movie by movie (my subjective opinion of course).
Old December 1 2013, 07:09 PM   #32
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

With Paul Walker sadly passing away, will F&F7 be the last movie in the franchise ? He has already filmed a chunk of no7 so he will probably be written out as another victim of Jason Statham's villain, but would F&F8 be viable without him ?
Old December 1 2013, 07:23 PM   #33
Gaith
Rear Admiral

F&F 6 was one of the biggest movies of the year, and one of Universal's only living franchises. This series will go on, no doubt about it whatsoever.

A part of me kinda hopes the producers give his tragic death the middle finger by simply recasting the role and using as much remaining Walker footage as possible, even if that means jumping from him to another actor from one scene to another. Chris Pine, for example, could slip into the part without much if any trouble. And they could always gradually shift the focus from the character by having O'Conner settle down with Mia and their kid, and not keep on adventuring.

But since they've already brought Lucas Black back into the fold, I have a feeling they'll groom him for an in-unverse replacement, because Diesel needs someone more lighthearted and easygoing to play off of. What with Han already dying, this next movie could end up being retooled into a very grimdark affair indeed.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 07:24 PM   #34
sojourner
Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
With Paul Walker sadly passing away, will F&F7 be the last movie in the franchise ? He has already filmed a chunk of no7 so he will probably be written out as another victim of Jason Statham's villain, but would F&F8 be viable without him ?
Based on the title of this thread, I think they have a built in replacement. The question is, will the series do as well without Paul?
Old December 1 2013, 08:14 PM   #35
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Aren't 8-9-10 just give aways at this point? Even if 7 or 8 doesn't do as well and lose 50% of the box office of 6 they would still be hits. I think they will have his character go missing until the 8th one when they find out he was killed and then they go seeking revenge.
Old December 1 2013, 08:18 PM   #36
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post

A part of me kinda hopes the producers give his tragic death the middle finger by simply recasting the role and using as much remaining Walker footage as possible, even if that means jumping from him to another actor from one scene to another. Chris Pine, for example, could slip into the part without much if any trouble. And they could always gradually shift the focus from the character by having O'Conner settle down with Mia and their kid, and not keep on adventuring.
I really like this idea.
Old December 1 2013, 08:28 PM   #37
Agent Richard07
Retired

^ Recasting is bad enough, but jumping from one actor to another in the same movie? Awful idea.

The series will absolutely go on, but what of the current movie that's still filming? Some accounts say they've shot all of Walker's scenes and others say that they still have stuff to shoot. Will they have to write around his death? Will the bulk of the movie have to be redone? Are they in the clear? Guess we'll know more this week.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 08:33 PM   #38
Mr Light
Admiral

Given that each movie is making more than the last and they're approaching being billion dollar movies... and that they're now an ensemble starring a dozen characters... they will absolutely keep going forward with one less character.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 08:35 PM   #39
Agent Richard07
Retired

Not every character appears in every movie, so although Walker will be missed, his absence won't be too jarring if they move forward in the right way. Two characters have already died anyway. Walker's will be the third.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 08:37 PM   #40
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

I'd think they would try to use as much of what they have shot as possible. They may even be able to complete the movie pretty much as planned with a little CGI and stand-ins used, but it would be foolish not to use this opportunity to write him out properly rather than 'off screen' between movies.

Going forward, the return if Lucas Black couldn't have been better timed...
Old December 1 2013, 09:42 PM   #41
Aragorn
Admiral

They can just drop both Walker and Brewster from future installments and say they're living happily ever after.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 10:25 PM   #42
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

As long as this film keep making massive amounts of money, Universal will keep making Fast and Furious films. Though the character dynamic/story will be a lot different now.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 10:27 PM   #43
Mr Light
Admiral

I would prefer that they peaceably retire the character rather than kill him off now he's a father of a young child.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 10:55 PM   #44
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I just hope it doesn't turn into a Dom out for revenge film.

Please don't do that.
Old December 1 2013, 11:38 PM   #45
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I just hope it doesn't turn into a Dom out for revenge film.

Please don't do that.
It already is - Han was murdered....