RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 442
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 26 2013, 06:22 AM   #31
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: How bitter was J. Michael Straczynski towards DS9?

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
However, when it comes to an argument about respecting the wishes of the original author (implicit or otherwise) considering what Moore chose to do with the characters of L. Frank Baum and J. M. Barrie, I rather think he gave up the moral high ground in this instance.
Yup. J.K. Rowling's, too.
Clarify, please...
Mina Harker runs into Voldemort in 1960s England, he tried to rape her.

Later on, Harry Potter shows up as the Anti-Christ who kills people by shooting lightning out of his penis.

Last edited by Anwar; November 26 2013 at 06:51 AM.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 10:38 AM   #32
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Jan wrote: View Post
You mean this behavior?
God, that man just can't write anything succinct, I swear.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 05:43 PM   #33
Jan
Commodore

Maurice wrote: View Post
Jan wrote: View Post
You mean this behavior?
God, that man just can't write anything succinct, I swear.
JMS wrote:
Just long-winded, I guess.
jms
http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-4622
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 01:02 AM   #34
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

It seems the only people who care are those who insist on exhuming this zombie of a straw-man argument for reasons I can't even begin to fathom, if indeed I ever cared to try.
I personally don't care much for it. I've never been a big fan of either show. However, it does remind me what pieces of shit Paramount have been towards the Trek franchise, even during TNG.

Fuck you Paramount!
Old November 27 2013, 02:31 AM   #35
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Paramount are still pieces of shit toward Star Trek. It's just that Paramount execs and Abrams&Co are on the same wavelength. So they don't have to dictate them as much as they had to dictate Berman&Co.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 05:44 AM   #36
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Paramount are still pieces of shit toward Star Trek. It's just that Paramount execs and Abrams&Co are on the same wavelength. So they don't have to dictate them as much as they had to dictate Berman&Co.
I'll admit I liked the two recent movies, and the casting really really helps forget the weak writing, but those two movies are only Star Trek by name.
Old November 27 2013, 08:44 PM   #37
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I think Abrams Trek movies are good movies, but it's hard for me to see them as Trek movies because they're intellectually so out of sync with what I consider Trek. It should be considered just a good remake of Trek rather than canonically part of the same multiverse, and it certainly shouldn't stop the prime universe from ever being explored again. They should just be treated like a separate entity.

For DS9 vs B5, I say if DS9 did copy some of the base ideas for B5, good for them, because they wrote the ideas much better.

And I get an image in my head of two eighty year olds, fifty years from now, refusing to speak to each other because one likes DS9 and the other likes B5. Then their twenty year old grandson walking in, giggling and thinking "Pops, you and your silent movies".
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 11:01 PM   #38
dub
Fleet Captain

LOL! I really want to get in on the B5 vs. DS9 discussion and be one of those silly old men one day, but I have yet to see B5. I do hope it comes to Netflix someday. I'd love to check it out.

And Jirin, I'm not giving up on the prime universe yet either! It's easy to separate the new movies from what came before because Abrams took care of it for us in his own clever or lazy way depending on your view of it. It's an alternate universe, so it doesn't impact prime (except for prime Spock's experiences there). That's enough for me anyway without getting into the whole subjective area of canon.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 11:20 PM   #39
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
I'll admit I liked the two recent movies, and the casting really really helps forget the weak writing, but those two movies are only Star Trek by name.
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I think Abrams Trek movies are good movies, but it's hard for me to see them as Trek movies because they're intellectually so out of sync with what I consider Trek. It should be considered just a good remake of Trek rather than canonically part of the same multiverse, and it certainly shouldn't stop the prime universe from ever being explored again. They should just be treated like a separate entity.
And this has what exactly to do with the DS9/B5 thing?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 12:33 AM   #40
thumbtack
Commodore

exodus wrote: View Post
I think Moore is showing his age by not being able to adjust to the changing times.
His reasoning sounds more like Grandpa Simpson yelling at clouds.
He should hang out here, then.

Fit right in.
Old November 29 2013, 01:50 AM   #41
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
And this has what exactly to do with the DS9/B5 thing?
My original comment was to do with pointing out what dipshits Paramount were. To tell the guy who came in with the B5 concept, tell him to fuck off because his idea is shit, then come and underhandedly steal his entire framework of ideas, changing them just enough to not seem like an outright ripoff.
Old November 29 2013, 01:16 PM   #42
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^ I doubt that's quite how it went down.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 05:55 AM   #43
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

However, when it comes to an argument about respecting the wishes of the original author (implicit or otherwise) considering what Moore chose to do with the characters of L. Frank Baum and J. M. Barrie, I rather think he gave up the moral high ground in this instance.
I just read about that. He must be on acid or something while listening to groups that believe Harry Potter is evil... And Mary Poppins is God..?
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 09:37 AM   #44
Captain_Amasov
Captain

To be fair to Moore, he has been burnt by both the comics and movie industries, so I can see why he'd be prickly. However, when it comes to an argument about respecting the wishes of the original author (implicit or otherwise) considering what Moore chose to do with the characters of L. Frank Baum and J. M. Barrie, I rather think he gave up the moral high ground in this instance.
Moore didn't seem too bitter (though there's still plenty to be had here) in this interview to be honest, and he even admits that's it's probably him being precious about it: http://youtu.be/EuBFd1rlWWA?t=14m11s
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 07:10 PM   #45
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
I just read about that. He must be on acid or something while listening to groups that believe Harry Potter is evil... And Mary Poppins is God..?
He seems to dislike how Harry Potter is considered the modern symbol of British Kids' literature and so he set up a story where Harry was this deranged lunatic who ends up killed off by what Moore considered the proper, superior symbol of children's Literature.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote