RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,817
Posts: 5,472,676
Members: 25,037
Currently online: 540
Newest member: Sebastian380

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 30 2013, 10:53 PM   #31
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
The first Doctor also gave us the IM Forman junkyard and the Coal Hill School.
Yeah, but that's not an established Doctor Who thing. Every time you see it again, it's a reference to that moment. It never appears for independent plot reasons beyond nostalgia.
I can't agree Coal Hill School played a huge part of Rememberance Of The Daleks and it's where Clara teaches, the junkyard also played a part in Rememberance unlike it did in Attack Of The Cybermen.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 10:58 PM   #32
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Both Remembrance of the Daleks and Day of the Doctor were intended as anniversary episodes so they call back to the first episode. If the second episode had the school in it, it never would have reappeared. I don't think being nostalgic counts as introducing an element. When it appears in a random episode that has no reason to feature it, then it'll be a reoccurring element. But the sole purpose of using that exact location is to say "hey look, that's the school that was in An Unearthly Child."

ETA: Speaking of Remembrance, does the Dalek Civil War count as a reoccurring element? I can't remember which episode it appeared in, though.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 11:09 PM   #33
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Both Remembrance of the Daleks and Day of the Doctor were intended as anniversary episodes so they call back to the first episode. If the second episode had the school in it, it never would have reappeared. I don't think being nostalgic counts as introducing an element. When it appears in a random episode that has no reason to feature it, then it'll be a reoccurring element. But the sole purpose of using that exact location is to say "hey look, that's the school that was in An Unearthly Child."

ETA: Speaking of Remembrance, does the Dalek Civil War count as a reoccurring element? I can't remember which episode it appeared in, though.
The Dalek civil war although in a different form was first seen in The Evil Of The Daleks, butthet introduction of Davros in Genesis changed all that. And I disagree if something that's been introduced plays a part in the storyline then it's a element of the show.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 11:15 PM   #34
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Both Remembrance of the Daleks and Day of the Doctor were intended as anniversary episodes so they call back to the first episode. If the second episode had the school in it, it never would have reappeared. I don't think being nostalgic counts as introducing an element. When it appears in a random episode that has no reason to feature it, then it'll be a reoccurring element. But the sole purpose of using that exact location is to say "hey look, that's the school that was in An Unearthly Child."

ETA: Speaking of Remembrance, does the Dalek Civil War count as a reoccurring element? I can't remember which episode it appeared in, though.
Although Remembrance of The Daleks was the beginning of the 25th Series, wasn't the actual 25th Anniversary Episode The Silver Nemesis?
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 11:28 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Although Remembrance of The Daleks was the beginning of the 25th Series, wasn't the actual 25th Anniversary Episode The Silver Nemesis?
That's correct. The first episode of "Silver Nemesis" aired on November 23, 1988. "Remembrance" had anniversary elements, but "Nemesis" was the official anniversary serial. But since "Remembrance" was awesome and "Nemesis" was lame, fandom has embraced "Remembrance" as the "real" anniversary serial, and thus we sometimes forget that it wasn't.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 11:34 PM   #36
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Remembrance of the Daleks feels more like an anniversary anyway. It's set in 1963 and has all kinds of nods to An Unearthly Child. Aside from airing on the anniversary, Silver Nemesis isn't really much of a celebration.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 11:45 PM   #37
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Remembrance of the Daleks feels more like an anniversary anyway. It's set in 1963 and has all kinds of nods to An Unearthly Child. Aside from airing on the anniversary, Silver Nemesis isn't really much of a celebration.
No argument there. SN's attempt to be anniversary-relevant is pretty lame -- there's a comet that comes by every 25 years and last time was in November 1963 and its baleful influence somehow provoked the Kennedy assassination, which happened just before Doctor Who premiered. Oh, and it has Cybermen, because it's the "silver" anniversary, get it, huh, huh? It feels like they just stuck in whatever contrived anniversary links they had left after "Remembrance" snapped up all the good ones. I don't get why they didn't just make "Remembrance" the anniversary serial.

Well, maybe it's because "Nemesis" introduced the seeds of the Cartmel Masterplan, so they wanted to kick off the new story arc at the anniversary.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 11:50 PM   #38
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't get why they didn't just make "Remembrance" the anniversary serial.
Well, BBC does like to use Daleks for premieres. And before anyone starts pointing out how few Dalek stories actually are premieres, it is actually a request BBC frequently makes of Moffat, and RTD before him.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 12:17 AM   #39
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, maybe it's because "Nemesis" introduced the seeds of the Cartmel Masterplan, so they wanted to kick off the new story arc at the anniversary.
It's in Rememberance that the Doctor tells Davros that he's more than just a normal Time Lord, it could be said that's wher it started. Granted that was a deleted scene but it was part of the story. However it was ultimately an idea that wasn't going to work out.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 12:22 AM   #40
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

I'm alittle surprised that nobody's mentioned the TARDIS itself or herself.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 01:17 AM   #41
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Although Remembrance of The Daleks was the beginning of the 25th Series, wasn't the actual 25th Anniversary Episode The Silver Nemesis?
That's correct. The first episode of "Silver Nemesis" aired on November 23, 1988. "Remembrance" had anniversary elements, but "Nemesis" was the official anniversary serial. But since "Remembrance" was awesome and "Nemesis" was lame, fandom has embraced "Remembrance" as the "real" anniversary serial, and thus we sometimes forget that it wasn't.
Well, it was my understanding that, while Silver Nemesis was the official anniversary episode, Remembrance was also intended to celebrate it.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 02:26 AM   #42
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Well, yes, of course it was celebrating the anniversary; I'm not saying it wasn't. I'm saying that "Silver Nemesis" was intended to be the primary anniversary episode, with "Remembrance" more secondary (kind of like how "The Name of the Doctor" has a lot of anniversary-year homages in it but "The Day of the Doctor" is the actual anniversary episode), but since the "secondary" celebration is by far the better and more apposite one, it's retroactively come to be considered the prinicipal one.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 03:19 AM   #43
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Sure. Either way, it doesn't really change my point that Coal Hill school isn't a recurring element of Doctor Who, all the other times it's mentioned is an homage instead.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 08:32 AM   #44
Captain_Amasov
Captain
 
Captain_Amasov's Avatar
 
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Would the introduction of the TARDIS being "partly sentient" warrant a separate entry under the First Doctor? Also the TARDIS's power source, located beneath the console, as being something you shouldn't let "escape" as well? Both were mentioned in "The Edge of Destruction", and the latter sort of lead on into the new series with the Bad Wolf entity being created by the energy of the "Heart of the TARDIS" released from within the console.

There's also this tumblr picture post about the reference to the heart of the TARDIS made by both the First and Ninth Doctors: http://unwillingadventurer.tumblr.co...of-destruction

Last edited by Captain_Amasov; December 1 2013 at 09:16 AM.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 08:49 AM   #45
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

First Doctor
The Doctor
The TARDIS
The TARDIS is sentient
The TARDIS is obsolete
The Doctor can't steer the TARDIS
Chameleon circuit
The Time Vortex
Psychic powers
Companions
Susan
Regeneration
Daleks
Cybermen
Skaro
Historicals

Second Doctor
Time Lords
UNIT
Sonic screwdriver
Jelly babies
The 500 year diary
Ice Warriors
The Great Intelligence
Brigadier Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart

Third Doctor
Gallifrey
Bessie & the Whomobile
Venusian aikido
The Master
Omega
Autons
Silurians
Sontarans
Sarah Jane Smith
Multi-Doctor stories

Fourth Doctor
Regeneration limits
Gift of language
K9
Zygons
Davros
Rassilon
The Matrix
The Guardians of Time
The Time Agency
The Eye of Harmony
The cloister bell

Fifth Doctor
Eternals
Companions' private lives

Sixth Doctor
The Rani
The Valeyard

Seventh Doctor

Eighth Doctor
Romance

Ninth Doctor
The Time War
Last of the Time Lords
Psychic paper
Vortex manipulator
Deadlock seals
Bad Wolf
The Shadow Proclamation
Captain Jack Harkness

Tenth Doctor
Fixed points in time
Torchwood
The Weeping Angels
Oods
Judoons
River Song
Christmas specials

Eleventh Doctor
The Doctor speaks with babies and animals
The Silence
The Paternoster Gang
Trenzalore
The War Doctor
The Curator
Kate Lethbridge-Stewart
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.